No announcement yet.

IGN ranks CivIV as the 2nd Best PC Game of All Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wasteland. I tried playing that one again. The graphics are one thing, but I forgot how annoying the save system was. I have a version of wasteland that came on a free disk from CGM back in the 90's. The PC version though, not the C64 version.

I wanted to play just so I could beat it. The original I was fairly young 13 i think. I didn't have the intelligence to beat it. . Actually, I got stuck in Las Vegas trying to kill that scorpion robot thing.

Comment

Didn't think anyone'd remember Wasteland!

I remember playing that - not an easy game at all. I also remember reading a review of the game in a computer magazine at the time when it came out, and being really dismayed that it got a poor review... I got the impression that the reviewer had tried it for a few hours and given up.

And Master of Orion II, that's a good one.
      Only the most intelligent, handsome/beautiful denizens of apolyton may join the game :)

Comment

Actually, I got stuck in Las Vegas trying to kill that scorpion robot thing.
        RPGs and LAW rockets do the trick. Got to give them to someone with the skill or they just miss everytime.

I remember i got stuck for the longest time simply because i didn't know the city of Irwin existed... lol.

One of the little known tricks I loved was that the best meele weapon in the game (proton axe) was found in only 2 places. Once toward the very end of the game, and once in a pile of garbage in an abandon house in Vegas. Sightseeing Vegas early in the game can be hazardous to your teams health, but if you can find that axe early and give it to a team member with lots of strength, it helps ALOT.

Finster's mind, the temple of the mushroom cloud, the blood worshipers, the crazy farmer, fighting giant dinosour robots in the sewers, and blowing up street urchins.... oh the memorys.

I played the game alot on a commadore back in the day. Replayed it about two years ago just for nolstalgia. Still a great game even with the 8bit graphics. The story and little details were what made it in my opinion. Being able to make a totally customized team was also pretty sweet.

You used to be able to download the PC version for free from Home of the Underdogs, but that site has been offline for over a year now. (cry)

From what i heard Electronic Arts was suing people who were posting free downloads (bastards... the game is like 20 years old).

You can find it here however, for a minimal fee. I'm sure some of the peer to peer networks have it too.

One interesting thing is that Wasteland has an cult following, which proclaim it as "the greatest computer game ever". If not for the rotten graphics, I would fully agree.
        Last edited by Pinchak; March 27, 2007, 09:25.

Comment

I remember Wasteland! Played it on a roomie's Apple IIe, I think. There was an NPC with an Uzi, I think, forget the name. I remember getting into battle and all of a sudden I hear *brrrrrr* from the speaker, and the text says [name] has burned a clip. Dammit, stop wasting ammo! [] I asked for the Uzi, was refused. But if you asked twice, then you'd get it.

I don't remember if it was the same NPC, or another, but one battle I got knocked out, or incapacitated or something, and we were getting mobbed, and the NPC went into brawling mode and wasted everything.

Good times.

To beat it, though, unfortunately I had to cheat. I ran out of ammo for the most advanced weapons, so I had to go back to a base, which I had saved in unplundered state on another 5.25" floppy.
          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
          Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
          One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Doom 2
            Warcraft 2
            Starcraft
            Mechwarrior 2
            Decent 2
            AOE 2
            Medieval Total War - which was WAY better than Rome and should be on the list!
            Civ4

Pretty much sums up my favorites over the years. I am surprised Decent wasn't on the list. I would love to see a modern version come out!

Comment

The list is slightly flawed, there is no Monkey Island.

One thing that I think people should start to take note when coming up with their "best of" lists, is not to choose those that YOU found to be the most fun. It's not enough nowadays to just have a fun game, even though that is the point of a game. It's just that if you are going to vote based solely on that, then you kind of distort the list from an overall perspective and it just becomes your personal perspective.

At the end of the day, no one cares what you like, but people do want to know what the majority of the people like.

For example, while my fond memories are with Civ2 and I find Civ2 more fun than Civ4, I know, if I analyze it deeper, that Civ4 is so much better than Civ2, so of course I would put Civ4 on the list and not Civ2. And at the same time, I would say Civ3 is worse than Civ2. But not worse than Civ1.

So in order of best: Civ4, Civ2, Civ3, Civ1.

I am going against my personal preference, I would personally go: Civ2, Civ1, Civ4, Civ3. But thats just my personal view, its not a majority view.
              be free

Comment

Originally posted by Common Sensei

The first single-player FPS, yes, and a milestone in and of itself.

However, the arrival of Doom began the avalanche of competitive online deathmatch FPS games, thus its long-term impact is greater than Wolfenstein 3D.
                The long-term impact if Wolf3D is obviously bigger then Doom, because Wolf3D invented the genre, doom only added the MP compenent.

I remember Wolf3D in those days, it was amazing! I remember even feeling sorry for the poor SS dudes that I killed while they said "Ouch, mein leben"
                The entire 3D atmosphere was amazing, and totally new. I got wet hands while playing, peeking around the corner, trying to shoot them in the back (only to discover that they didn't got a 'back side' )

Later Doom was obviously visually superior, and that was great in itself, but it was not a new genre.
                right now I don't care for FPS anymore
                CIV is the only things!

#1 CIV
                #2-10 nothing
                #11 CIV
                #12 CIV
                #13-10000 nothing
                STFU, it's CIV all the way
                Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

I disagree with Common Sensei as well. The first 3D game I ever played was Heretic, I got those same sorts of feelings Cybershy is talking about with Wolf3D. I was blown way, I remember I kept telling everyone I felt like I was really there.

Later I came to know of Doom and Wolf3D, and now that I know Wolf3D was one of the true beginners, I can say that Wolf3D would be more important than Doom in terms of inspiration. But Doom would be considered more fun (unless of course you get a kick out of killing nazi's than monsters) - and so it should be, we often try to improve what we have already done.

However, Wolf3D isn't really the true beginner, there were others before; everything was an inspiration of something prior. But Wolf3D stands out amongst the earlier lot. It was 2 steps up the progress ladder, rather than the usual 1 step up.
                  be free

Comment

I remember getting new people to play Wolf3D and half of them would get sick. Since Doom was already out by this time we got a new syndrome - DIMS - Doom Induced Motion Sickness. Being the sick puppy that I was at the time I just loved watching my friends turn green!

Comment

Wow, with the exception of Unreal Tournament and IL-2, I've either played to the end or at least tried every one of those 25 games. Guess I'm up to speed!
                      I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

The first 3-D game I played was Akalabeth, by Lord British (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akalabeth). Feast your eyes on this!:

I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
                          The first 3-D game I played was Akalabeth, by Lord British (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akalabeth). Feast your eyes on this!:
                          I already played "Maze" long before Wolf3D was released. Wolf was certainly not the first 3D game out there, but it was the first large scale 3D game that everybody knew about. It was the true beginning of the FPS genre, and it obviously borrowed from earlier games.
                          Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                          Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py
                            I disagree with Common Sensei as well. The first 3D game I ever played was Heretic, I got those same sorts of feelings Cybershy is talking about with Wolf3D. I was blown way, I remember I kept telling everyone I felt like I was really there.

Later I came to know of Doom and Wolf3D, and now that I know Wolf3D was one of the true beginners, I can say that Wolf3D would be more important than Doom in terms of inspiration. But Doom would be considered more fun (unless of course you get a kick out of killing nazi's than monsters) - and so it should be, we often try to improve what we have already done.

However, Wolf3D isn't really the true beginner, there were others before; everything was an inspiration of something prior. But Wolf3D stands out amongst the earlier lot. It was 2 steps up the progress ladder, rather than the usual 1 step up.
                            I think you and Cybershy are understating the multiplayer aspect that I was focusing on. You're talking about the fun factor between shooting Nazis and demons, but what Doom really brought to the mainstream was the concept that shooting a human controlled avatar was more fun and challenging than any AI. It's akin to calculating the devastating effects of a nuclear warhead, and only looking at the blast damage and ignoring the effects of radiation and fallout.

Before Doom, how often was the first question of a hot new announced game, "Will it have multiplayer?" It blazed a trail into the mainstream for competitive play over the internet (for better or for worse) and it's for that reason I can see its inclusion in a list like this over Wolfenstein 3D.

Comment

Wolfenstein played an important role, but Doom was more influential for sure.

Comment

The first... well... semi 3D game I really got into was The Bards Tale 2 on the Amiga. I say semi 3D since the walls were actually paper thin rather than solid thikness. That was a get RPG. Shortly after that was Dungeon Master which was 3D but not free motion. Another great RPG. They were both great games.

Comment

Working...
                                X