IGN ranks CivIV as the 2nd Best PC Game of All Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IGN ranks CivIV as the 2nd Best PC Game of All Time

Woot! Though Civ is always the #2. Though in this case to a worthy #1 (XCOM: UFO Defense). Another reason I like this list... Fallout is #5. That's the highest I've ever seen it on one of these big game site lists.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

IGN knows their stuff!!
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

1: X-com- good choice. personally I would not rank it that high. But would be in my tope 10. In fact, I'll make my list lower down.
      2: Civ4- can't complain about that.
      3: Tie Fighter- never played this game
      4: Rome- never played
      5: Fallout I'd rank Fallout 2 a little higher, but perhaps Fallout one is a little "tighter"
      6: starcraft- never played
      7: Baldur's Gate 2- I'd rank it higher
      8,9,10 haven't played this games.

A little off topic, but... my list
      1. Civilization 4
      2. Baldur's Gate 2
      3. SMAC
      4. Civ2
      5 Fallout2
      6 Xcom- UFO defense
      7 Fallout
      8 Neverwinter Nights
      9 Knights of the Old Republic
      10 not sure

Lots of older games in this list, me thinks the people compiling the list are older gamers.

Comment

TIE Fighter was great game, but as a space sim, its audience was likely smaller than other games. For that reason, I'd drop it down a bit.

Starcraft was/is a great game and, I think, should be higher on the list.

From what I've read/heard, Civ4 should be above X-Com and most likely number one, but I'm just happy someone finally gave it the attention it deserved in one of these lists.

I enjoyed what little I played of Age of Empires, but I found the controls extremely annoying and the scope of the game, in my opinion, was limited. It doesn't make my top 10 by a long shot.

You'd have to have been living under a rather large rock to not know about SimCity and Half-Life/HL2, so I'd rank them somewhat higher than they are on the list.

I won't get into a big list of my favorites, but just rearranging the ones in that list:

1. Civilization 4
        2. SimCity 2000
        3. Starcraft
        4. TIE Fighter
        5. Half-Life 2
        6-10. Haven't played them...

11+. Age of Empires

Comment

Re: IGN ranks CivIV as the 2nd Best PC Game of All Time

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Woot! Though Civ is always the #2. Though in this case to a worthy #1 (XCOM: UFO Defense). Another reason I like this list... Fallout is #5. That's the highest I've ever seen it on one of these big game site lists.
          That's a bad list

Civ2 should be in instead of Civ4.

And WTF is The Sims doing on there?
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Re: Re: IGN ranks CivIV as the 2nd Best PC Game of All Time

Originally posted by LordShiva

And WTF is The Sims doing on there?
            As far as I know this is a commercial hit.

Not sure who buy this stuff. Little girls maybe, not sure, but I didn't know there are so many girls playing video games

Comment

Civ4

Grim Fandango

Pirates
              Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Comment

Also, where is CtP2?

/me runs
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

If you liked CtP2 so much, you must have been playing either a mod (e.g., AOM) or in sandbox mode. I have never seen such a pathetic AI! -- RUN FAST, LordShiva.

Comment

I played the scenarios.

Comment

Uhmm, not even CtP2 players will defend the AI that shipped with the game. Abysmal is the only way to describe it. The good mods that were out there, though, were long before AOM .
                      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe

If you liked CtP2 so much, you must have been playing either a mod (e.g., AOM) or in sandbox mode. I have never seen such a pathetic AI!
                        Call To Power Series never made it as a real challenge in single-player but multiplayer is another story

Comment

Civ IV

Grim Fandango

Fallout
                          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I think you could put 1000 gamers in a room and no two will produce the same "top ten games of all time" list, but this top 25 has some serious holes.
                            The original Doom doesn't even make the list, while a kiddie game like StarCraft is #6?
                            Age of Empires is #10, but Empire Earth doesn't make it.
                            Company of Heroes looks and sounds great, but playing it shatters my nerves. It's like going to the pool with three or four little kids, and having them constantly demanding your attention, "Watch me!", ""No, look over here!", Watch this! LOOK!!" I will never understand the attraction for COH.
                            Sid's Pirates #11, but SMAC nowhere to be seen. Put down the crack pipe already.
                            I never played XCom, but I know a lot of people liked it. Putting it at #1 just strikes me as being nostalgic though. It's easy to look back on the salad days of playing all those old games that were so much fun, but we have come a long way since then and thank goodness. Anybody want to trade in their P4 for a 386? The AI of Civ 4 for Civ 2?

PCGamer recently published a list of the top-selling games of '06:
                            1 World of Warcraft
                            2 The Sims2
                            3 The Sims2 Open for Business Exp.
                            4 Star Wars Empire at War
                            5 The Sims 2 Pets Expansion
                            6 Oblivion
                            7 Age of Emp. III
                            8 The Sims 2 Famil Fun Stuff Exp.
                            9 Civ 4
                            10 The Sims 2 Nightlife Exp.

The fact that the Sims and its expansions feature so heavily in the list should bust the myth that computer gaming is mainly done by 20-something males.

Comment

X-COM was great, and if you haven't played it, you really REALLY should!

The spin-offs weren't nearly as good though.

I really didn't like Civ2, and find it strange that so many people seem to love it so much. To me it was the epitome of tedium. A real let-down after the first game.

Comment

Working...
                              X