Economic Victory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Economic Victory

I was thinking that it's a bit odd you can't win an economic victory. Yes, money plays a large part in other victory conditions (fueling research, upgrading armies, maintaining a large empire), but a cultural-like victory condition could be interesting. Several of the civs are touted as being financial powerhouses of their time (Mali, England for example), so why not be able to recreate that fact and win via it?

Like a cultural victory, the game could perhaps track how much cash each city has earned over the course of the game until you make a Legendary amount. Or you could require saving up a huge amount of money. Or have X number of cities earning Y amount of cash per turn.

I guess I'm just looking for fresh meat in terms of victory conditions :P
    - Dregor

I was thinking about this one alot recently. I think some economic victory conditions could be done through getting say 3 cities generating over x gold/turn, x gold earned over a lifetime, and x gold currently saved. The biggest problem I see with it is that Financial would be far too powerful in that situation. It would either be a possible victory for others and easy for Financial or possible for Financial and probally not attainable for others.

Comment

Pah!
      An "economic victory" is what makes any of the other victories feasible, a prerequisite of victory.

Comment

I think a total overhaul of trade would sit nicely with an economic victory, something like a trade route with every nations capital and navel control of all shipping lanes might be the sort of thing that would equal economic mastery - sort of Britain in the 1870s or something.
        www.neo-geo.com

Comment

PAH! Materialists! Too many victory conditions already! Bah, humbug.
          No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
          "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Cornering the Global Energy Market in SMAC was possible but really hard, even for Morgan. You had to have so much energy!

The thing about the victory conditions is that a lot of them have me shutting off research at some point. For example, when going for a culture win I get Mass Media and then run 90% or 100% culture. I wish more of them forced me to go deeper into the Modern Age tech tree.

Comment

Play for a space win.

Comment

At least Space Win makes sense... Sort of...

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer
                  PAH! Materialists! Too many victory conditions already! Bah, humbug.
                  QFT!

Economic victory would only be one more lame victory condition.

Anything other than conquest (domination if it's late at night) is for hippies
                  THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                  AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                  AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                  DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

True civvers are versatile and can play for a variety of victory conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                      True civvers are versatile and can play for a variety of victory conditions.
                      True civvers, while able to win under any victory condition, would not sacrifice their non-hippiedom by winning in an inferior way.

In other words, it's not about winning or losing, it's about how you play the game
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

[Major thread heist -- LordShiva, what have you got against hippies? ]

Back on topic, if one insists on being a "purist," one can turn off victory conditions below one's level of purity. I suppose the real world end-of-game resulting in a united world will be that everyone gets bought (or bought off). Whether of not that's a "victory" depends on the POV. The buyer will think so.

Of course the other possibility will be that the few thousand left will start over in a world nuked to oblivion.
                        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

True civvers, while able to win under any victory condition, would not sacrifice their non-hippiedom by winning in an inferior way.

In other words, it's not about winning or losing, it's about how you play the game
                          Spoken like a true inflexible loser.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                            Spoken like a true inflexible loser.
                            If you were a football team, you'd win your games on penalties.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer
                              ... if one insists on being a "purist," one can turn off victory conditions below one's level of purity.
                              No, you shouldn't do THAT!! To be pure, you have to limit YOURSELF to particular victory conditions -- the AI has access to all of them, for they have no honor (literally, though they are very pure).

Adjustment in difficulty level because of personal victory restrictions is allowed.

Comment

Working...
                              X