• Show
Clear All

• Apolyton Warlords Review by Solver

Civilization IV: Warlords Review by Solver

Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

OTHER REVIEWS

GameSpot is the world's largest source for PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, PS Vita, Wii PC, 3DS, PSP, DS, video game news, reviews, previews, trailers, walkthroughs, and more.

Comment

Great review, as always, Solver. I'm glad to see you added your final thoughts, which I thought were quite fair. I'm a vassal junkie (thanks for the mention and for trying settings you normally wouldn't play), so, for me, Warlords is a winner. But, as you note, not all players enjoy the kind of setup that seems to lead to the most interesting vassal situations.

Thanks for the obvious time (and expertise) you put into another outstanding Solver review.
      I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Thanks Yin .

I feel the way I do about Warlords not only because I don't typically enjoy those cutthroat settings. It's just that, to me, there's not enough added to the core game, particularly when played under some sort of standard settings. I'm tempted to say that the change to Chariots is the best change in Warlords .

Then again, I'm still one of those weird guys who think that new civs don't really add anything to the game. New traits do, yes, and I appreciate those additions - civ additions I feel rather indifferent towards.
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Any chance of putting the review onto one page?

Comment

Nice review. Happy to see some criticism where one might expect fanboyism.

Aside - could use some "<- Prev Next->" links for page navigation.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsie
              Any chance of putting the review onto one page?
              i actually spent a long time cutting it up

Comment

Originally posted by Slax
                Nice review. Happy to see some criticism where one might expect fanboyism.
                Indeed.
                I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Good job, Solver. Not afraid of criticism when necessary, but generous with praise as well. Fair and equitable as always. (And I must say it's nice to finally hear what you really think after so many cryptic hints.)
                  The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
                  "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
                  "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
                  The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Hmm, I've posted cryptic hints?

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                      Hmm, I've posted cryptic hints?
                      What a cryptic thing to say!
                      The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
                      "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
                      "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
                      The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

I have to admit that I'm surprised that Solver's review is less than enthusiastic. Then again, I am the type of player who is absolutely giddy at the thought of new Civs.

Still, I am very surprised that he advises the fanbase to wait until it drops in price. For me, the new music alone was worth the meager 29.99.
                        http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Solver, I noticed that you didn't mention the Celts at all (other than saying they were in the XP). Is simply because you didn't play much with them (and why not!) or did you not find them interesting or think they'd be fun?

I think they'd be quite powerful and a SPR that starts with Myst could be a religion hog.

(but, then again, I've never won the game either so...)

Tom P.

Comment

EDIT: This post is in response to Monkspider.

I'm glad to see that someone is surprised .

I primarily advice the *hardcore* players to wait until the price drops. The less hardcore and those who think that new civs are a great addition will absolutely get their money's worth out of it.

With Civ, I'm somewhat on the hardcore side, I've always cared more about the strategic options and, most of all, about the AI. My involvement with development of vanilla Civ4 also turned me into a Civ (Civ-style) game analyst for balance, strategic depth and similar issues. Which ultimately what leads me to my conclusions about Warlords - few good changes to the actual strategic gameplay.

But as I say in the review, it's not a horrible expansion. It could've been much worse if it screwed up combat balance, or had vassal exploit galore, or overpowered Generals, or somesuch. Warlords manages to add that stuff without screwing the game up, and I have to give due credit for that alone.

Comment

Originally posted by padillah
                              Solver, I noticed that you didn't mention the Celts at all (other than saying they were in the XP). Is simply because you didn't play much with them (and why not!) or did you not find them interesting or think they'd be fun?

I think they'd be quite powerful and a SPR that starts with Myst could be a religion hog.

(but, then again, I've never won the game either so...)

Tom P.
                              I haven't played a game with the Celts with the final version or the last few before it. The last time I played Celts, quite a bunch of things about the game was different, so I can't assess anything fairly based on that game.

I don't have that much to comment on them, as it stands right now. Although I do think they have one heckuva trait combination - I adore SPI - and the Gallic Warrior is an interesting "flavour" unit.

Comment

Working...
                              X