No announcement yet.

No CD Petition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate it that I, who bought the game (when it came out, no less!), get a lesser product than someone who decides to just steal the game.
    Switching in and out CDs all the time is really quite annoying. Thank god that Paradox games and Galciv2 don't require the CD, or I'd go insane from all the switching
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

• When this game was first released, I downloaded it at first (got a 100 mbit connection, only takes a couple of seconds for me) to try it out. It worked flawlessly from my virtual cd drive, the copy protection was easily fooled by my virtual cd drive. Then, liking the game a lot, I bought it, and installed it. And it didn't work! The game kept saying I didn't have the cd in the drive, even when a fully legal (and fully working) cd was in the drive. So my illigal version worked well, and the legal version didn't.

So the real cd is now sitting somewhere in my room eating dust, while I play the game from a virtual cd drive.

With warlords the real cd does work though, so I am actually using that cd

Comment

• Anyway, the moral of the story: A copy protection that only allows downloaded version of the game to run is pretty darn stupid.

Comment

• Buy the Direct2Drive version, no CD required for that ... or the Steam version ...
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Diadem, please don't discuss things like that here. If you downloaded the game at some point, keep it to yourself.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369
              Buy the Direct2Drive version, no CD required for that ... or the Steam version ...
              Instead you need to be online all the time.
              Bye, bye, dial-up and laptop users...

Comment

• deleted by author
                Last edited by SebP; October 31, 2006, 13:42.

Comment

• *ahem*

Last warning, no piracy discussions here (morally wrong or not, illegal or not, it is against the forum rules), or this thread is history.
                  Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                  I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• I'd like a no-cd version, personally, because my CD drive always sounds like it's one good rattle away from exploding

I'm not gonna go on a crusade about it, but yeah, I agree that it would make it easier on me, a paying customer. Further, it seems to me that someone who can download a pirated copy is fully capable of finding and applying a no-cd crack. I, on the other hand, would probably need help.

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• /signed/
                      Let your every day be full of joy, love the child that holds your hand, let your wife delight in your embrace, for these alone are the concerns of humanity.
                      The BtS Pitboss Team Democracy Game has just started!!!
                      Come and test your metal in the Apolyton Civ4 Beyond the Sword Tri-League Tournament
                      Tohunga o kairākau of Southern Cross in the Warlords Pitboss Team Democracy Game, and Member of the Great Council and Curator of The Khan's Compendium for The Horde in the Civ4 Team Democracy Game

Comment

• /signed/
                        Participating in my threads is mandatory. Those who do not do so will be forced, in their next game, to play a power directly between Catherine and Montezuma.

Comment

• My two cents:

Piracy is the software maker's problem.

They shouldn't make it the customer's problem. Putting intrusive CD protections and such make it the customer's problem.

Back to my lair.
                          "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
                          —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

• I'd like to throw my 2 bits in regarding the forum rules barring links to no-CD patches and piracy sites. Why is this expressly banned yet reading through the OT forums will turn up many threads with copied and pasted news articles from newswires?

Is it wrong to post piracy links but OK to directly violate copyright?

Comment

• Newspapers don't read Apolyton.

Comment

• But does Apolyton read newspapers?

Comment

Working...
                                X