Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Blake
    -2 happiness in other civs .
    Clearly, you've never worked in one. Or known people who have.
    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Blake
      -2 happiness in other civs .
      also -1 gold to other civs - for the extreme phone charges to call centres.
      "What if somebody gave a war and nobody came?" Allen Ginsberg

"Opinions are like arses, everyone has one." Anon

Comment

• Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man

Clearly, you've never worked in one. Or known people who have.
        Clearly you have never had a problem and needed to phone a call centre - (who you rightly would assume, would be based in your own Country) and wonder why they could not answer a simple question.

If it is not on their check list of common complants - you may as well be talking to a monkey. Which of course in reality you are, as they are trained to understand specific easy questions in that particullar language.

Not their fault, but that of the money grabbing corporations that exploit them.

In reality we are all exploited - the user gets no service, the call centre worker is payed very little, but the Directors of the company get large bonuses - irrespective of whether the company does well or not.

Then you might also wonder why you were charged premium call rates for a service you never got. It goes to the Directors bonus.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harrier UK

Clearly you have never had a problem and needed to phone a call centre - (who you rightly would assume, would be based in your own Country) and wonder why they could not answer a simple question.

If it is not on their check list of common complants - you may as well be talking to a monkey. Which of course in reality you are, as they are trained to understand specific easy questions in that particullar language.

Not their fault, but that of the money grabbing corporations that exploit them.

In reality we are all exploited - the user gets no service, the call centre worker is payed very little, but the Directors of the company get large bonuses - irrespective of whether the company does well or not.

Then you might also wonder why you were charged premium call rates for a service you never got. It goes to the Directors bonus.
          Wow, I struck a nerve!

I find that very few of them can answer a question correctly, regardless of where they are located.

However, there is a common thread - it's an awful job to have, by all accounts. Stuff straight out of a Zola novel. Thus, the -2 for happiness in the builder nation.

As for the money grubbing corporations - buy some stock!
          "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
          "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

• Ah yes, buy the power, dont fight the power. And actually, the ability to make unique buildings that replace a standard building already exists. There are instructions on how in wikipedia.

Comment

• Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man

Wow, I struck a nerve!

I find that very few of them can answer a question correctly, regardless of where they are located.

However, there is a common thread - it's an awful job to have, by all accounts. Stuff straight out of a Zola novel. Thus, the -2 for happiness in the builder nation.

As for the money grubbing corporations - buy some stock!
              I can not afford to buy the stock, all my money is spent on the call to the call centre - trying to get my appliance/car/insurance/bank etc. etc. fixed.

Actually - some can sometimes answer a question correctly - if you are lucky.

Comment

• key word= Sometimes
                "Dumb people are always blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are."
                Check out my Blog!

Comment

• Originally posted by Smellycowsquid

The End of World War II, with the development of atomic weapons meant the End of forts, you also have to remember Paratroopers.
                  (shrug) Germany tried to use paratroopers during the Battle of the Bulge to disrupt enemy supply lines and such, and they were almost completly inneffective. Too often, half of the paratroop unit would land in the wrong place and be completly seperated and cut off from the rest, and there were a lot of injuries when trying to land in combat conditions as well. I don't think paratroopers could have made much of a difference in the war in Europe.

As for Atomic weapons, sure if they're used forts are worthless, but then again if they're used ALL conventional millitary becomes basically worthless.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yosho

(shrug) Germany tried to use paratroopers during the Battle of the Bulge to disrupt enemy supply lines and such, and they were almost completly inneffective. Too often, half of the paratroop unit would land in the wrong place and be completly seperated and cut off from the rest, and there were a lot of injuries when trying to land in combat conditions as well. I don't think paratroopers could have made much of a difference in the war in Europe.

As for Atomic weapons, sure if they're used forts are worthless, but then again if they're used ALL conventional millitary becomes basically worthless.
                    Well, this is what I found...

With the outbreak of war, the Germans successfully used paratroopers to seize critical military objectives in Norway, the Netherlands, and Belgium, where a small band of paratroopers and glidermen seized Fort Eben Emael, which many had considered impregnable.
                    Also, the battle of the bulge was a last effort, German troops were tired, and paratroopers would have been lightly armed...
                    "Dumb people are always blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are."
                    Check out my Blog!

Comment

• Believe they also used them in Cyprus where it didn't work too well and also to rescue Musselini

Comment

• There was no significant resistance there, though. I don't think WWII paratroopers could be millitarally effective against a strong army; they're just too easy to surround and destroy, and there was just too much that could go wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yosho
                          There was no significant resistance there, though. I don't think WWII paratroopers could be millitarally effective against a strong army; they're just too easy to surround and destroy, and there was just too much that could go wrong.
                          You have to consider the training given to the units at this time of the war. By the time of the Ardennes offensive (excuse my bad spelling) the Germans had lost most of the elite parachutists - those used were poorly trained, not just in para drops but also fighting.

P.S.

What has this discussion to do with Unique Buildings.

Comment

• We also confirmed that the new unique buildings for each civ will merely replace an existing building. Like the unique units, these civ-specific buildings will offer a slightly better benefit to the civ that owns them

IGN preview

SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

• "Dumb people are always blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are."
                              Check out my Blog!

Comment

Working...
                              X