Looking Back: Comparative Civ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fed1943
    It seems the goal was/is just to put the real civilization names better known by the players/buyers.
    Well, yes. Who would buy a civ game with the Mycenaeans, Akkadians, Zhou, Teutons and Harappans instead of the Greeks, Babylonians, Chinese, Germans and Indians?

Originally posted by fed1943
    A minor point:Aegypcians don't see themselves as belonging to Africa,but to Middle East and Mediterraneum.
    Best regards,
    I know. But when I say there's only one African civ, then the other crowd comes and tells me they're African. I know that Egypt is a part of the Near Eastern world. I even had a major argument with someone on this forum who was trying to convince me that Egypt was in Asia !
    The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
    "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
    "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
    The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

I think you are right. It would be cool, however, if they included more women leaders, such as Boudicca or Dido.
      In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Comment

Boudicca may be the best choice for the Celts, but if the number of leaders is limited and the Carthaginians get only one, I'd rather see them have Hannibal or Hamilcar.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I hope they include the 'Sioux', i loved the name of there cities like "Little Big Horn" and "Wounded Knee" etc.
          Even though the real life history of these places is not quite so good
          Oxygen should be considered a drug
          Tiberian Sun Retro
          My Mod for Tiberian Sun Webmaster of
          http://www.tiberiumsun.com

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander01
            I know. But when I say there's only one African civ, then the other crowd comes and tells me they're African. I know that Egypt is a part of the Near Eastern world. I even had a major argument with someone on this forum who was trying to convince me that Egypt was in Asia !
            Ooh! I do love a good rathole. Technically the bit of Egypt east of Suez is in Asia.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              Boudicca may be the best choice for the Celts, but if the number of leaders is limited and the Carthaginians get only one, I'd rather see them have Hannibal or Hamilcar.
              I'd still rather see Vercingetorix leading the Celts, but Boudicca is my second choice. Just as long as it's not Cunobelin or Brennus like they've done in the past. Those two are not preferable.

Gosh! I wish they'd hurry up and start the new civ rollouts!
              "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
              "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
              The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

I'd still rather see Vercingetorix leading the Celts, but Boudicca is my second choice. Just as long as it's not Cunobelin or Brennus like they've done in the past. Those two are not preferable.

Gosh! I wish they'd hurry up and start the new civ rollouts!
                Vercingetorix is cool, but Boudicca is a woman . (see my above post)
                In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by potoroo

Ooh! I do love a good rathole. Technically the bit of Egypt east of Suez is in Asia.
                  I guess I'm thinking of the ancient homeland of Egypt rather than the modern country of Egypt.

Comment

I guess I'm thinking of the ancient homeland of Egypt rather than the modern country of Egypt.
                    Pfft. The ancient Egyptian empire stretched further into Asia Minor than modern Egypt dreams of. Of course, the bit east of Suez is tiny compared to the bit that's technically in Africa. But it's still in Asia!

Comment

Originally posted by potoroo

Pfft. The ancient Egyptian empire stretched further into Asia Minor than modern Egypt dreams of. Of course, the bit east of Suez is tiny compared to the bit that's technically in Africa. But it's still in Asia!
                      I'm not talking about their empire. I'm talking about their homeland. Peoples in the Egyptian Empire did not consider themselves Egyptians. They were Canaanites, or Aramaeans or whatever; only people from Egypt actually considered themselves Egyptians. Ancient middle eastern empires were more a case of vassalage where some foreign overlord imposed his rule and tribute on a smaller nation and destroyed them if they stopped paying.

Example: Assyrian Empire. Did anyplace outside actual Assyria consider itself Assyrian? Of course not! That's the last thing conquered peoples wanted. They wanted nothing to do with Assyria and constantly rebelled against them.

Anyway, that's enough hairsplitting. Back to the topic...

Comment

If I could steer us back on topic...

it would be cool if you could do one of these on Civ Leaders too, Alexander01.

Comment

Originally posted by Cartimandua

Um, ok...

That'll take a little time though. I'll post it when it's done.

Comment

Great work Alexander
                            Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                            I am of the Horde.

Comment

Originally posted by Cartimandua
                              If I could steer us back on topic...

Okay, here's the Civ Leader Database as promised. Let me know if this is what you wanted (information, format, etc.).

Everybody: Let me know what you think of this, and what conclusions it leads you to.

To me, it shows that Civ4 breaks with precedent in several cases, but remains true in a few.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander01 Um, ok...

That'll take a little time though. I'll post it when it's done.
                                A whole three hours?-)
                                The breakfast of champions is the opposition.

"A japaneze warrior once destroyed one of my modern armours.i nuked the warrior" -- philippe666

Comment

Working...
                                X