No announcement yet.

Things that make you go, 'hmmm'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having Free Speech and Police State simultaneously.

Comment

Having Universal Suffrage and Slavery simultaneously.

Ancient Greek democracy. There are slaves without rights, but the rest have civil and all other sorts of rights.

Not really any historic examples, but possible. You can say whatever you want, but if the state doesn't like what you say, it shoots or arrests you. Legally, this is what the USSR was.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Solver

Not really any historic examples, but possible. You can say whatever you want, but if the state doesn't like what you say, it shoots or arrests you.
        "In any color as long as it's black"?
        The breakfast of champions is the opposition.

"A japaneze warrior once destroyed one of my modern armours.i nuked the warrior" -- philippe666

Comment

Not really any historic examples, but possible. You can say whatever you want, but if the state doesn't like what you say, it shoots or arrests you. Legally, this is what the USSR was.
          Um... isn't that not having free speech at all? Free speech, basically, being the right to not be punished for what you say.

I guess you could have free speech, but the state controls everything aside from speech.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

No...
            It's more like, you wont get punished for what you say. But you'll still get punished for what you do / "just because".

Comment

[quote]
              Free speech, basically, being the right to not be punished for what you say.
              [/quote[

Thats Protected Speech, if I had to guess.
              It's a CB.
              --
              SteamID: rampant_scumbag

Comment

I think free speech actually mostly represents a "fair" legal system, considering the column it is in. In effect it's a seperation of the legal system from the state, much like free religion. Makes sense, yes?

Comment

You can also say that a Police State would mean a modern Autocratic government; e.g. one without elections. That plus Free Speech would mean that you can say whatever you want, but can't vote fot the leader. Eh.

And the description for "Universal Suffrage" in Civ4 clearly states that it is for every person within the nation, quite different from Athenian Democracy. Universal Suffrage is Universal Suffrage, not Democracy.
                  "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                  "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                  Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

UF sounds like Tyranny by the majority to me, at least when combined with the likes of Theocracy.

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
                      UF sounds like Tyranny by the majority to me, at least when combined with the likes of Theocracy.
                      Nah, that's the dream government of Christain Evangalists.
                      "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                      "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                      Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Having Universal Suffrage and Slavery simultaneously.

Ancient Greek democracy. There are slaves without rights, but the rest have civil and all other sorts of rights.

I would say East Germany might fit this. The DDR featured quite a lot of intellectual discourse but was most certainly a police state.

Another might be medieval Spain, where Inquisition and anti-Semmitism took on heights not seen until Nazi Germany, but presumably Catholic loyalists were given free range.
                        "The human race would have perished long ago if its preservation had depended only on the reasoning of its members." - Rousseau
                        "Vorwärts immer, rückwärts nimmer!" - Erich Honecker
                        "If one has good arms, one will always have good friends." - Machiavelli

Comment

From Civilopedia:
                          [b]Under a police state the government maintains strict control over its populace by means of a police force (and often a "secret" police force). Civil liberties are denied and those who voice opinions contrary to the government are subject to punishments ranging from imprisonment to death.

I see no free speech here. Only official propaganda.

Comment

Working...
                          X