Poll: Crashing During Mid/Late Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resistant to crashing

I thought I would share this as it really doesn't fit with some of the things I have been reading in this forum. I have had few crashes in Civ 4 (less than 5 in 3 weeks of playing). I can't really complain because I remember Civ 1 and Colonization froze up often on my 486 laptop. I mean often as in every other day. Anyway, I've had a slow game, but few CTDs on maps up to huge with up to 9 Civs with a

1.4 Ghz Celeron (Powerleap kit on an old 100mhz FSB motherboard)
    128 Mb Nvidia GeForce MX4000
    512 Mb RAM

Comment

--I am repeating this since I think a lot of people missed it--
      --A number of people over at Civfanatics have tried this and say it has worked for them (though ATI card users should apparently roll back their driver per the general ATI card solution).--

I think I have gotten rid of my CTDs, though it will require further testing to be sure (I played over 10 turns without a crash, which has never happened before).

Here is a link the thread post where I discuss what I have done

-Drachasor
      "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

The game actually seems to bog even more after I installed the latest patch. I rarely crash but things can get really slow in the 1800s if I don't reboot. And whatever the problem is, it doesn't get cleaned up after getting out of Civ either. Windows is still fubared until you reboot.

Comment

I am going to wait for the third patch. To many of the work arounds seem to introduce other problems - at least for players with All in Wonder cards (No TV).

I can play upto a point on my system - with good graphics. It just gets toooooooo slow. Then sometimes freeezzzzes. Even after closing civ4.
          "What if somebody gave a war and nobody came?" Allen Ginsberg

"Opinions are like arses, everyone has one." Anon

Comment

Yes, waiting for the next patch. I've tried enough tricks for now, none of them help really. Wonder movies began to stutter seriously, I didn't have that before.

Comment

I'm running on

AthlonXP 3200+
              1GB Ram
              Radeon 9700Pro
              nForce2Ultra chipset
              Only been playing on a huge map so far, and am constantly having my system reset after awhile.

At work right now, but I'll try the AGP aperture or other solutions posted here when I get home.

Comment

This has fixed many issues:

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Ramble
                    I just want the Firaxis team to know that there is at least one gamer who really appreciates members of the Firaxis team interacting with us on the status of the problems many of us are having. I have noticed the tone of has changed on these threads in the past few days. Thank you for giving us a status update.
                    No problem - we do follow the activity on these forums and try to help when we can.

Your reports and feedback have enabled us to fix the top issues for the next patch (available soon). Enhancements and improvements have been made in many areas, including a significant reduction in memory usage. Besides sharing more graphics data (also done by the latest forum memory patch), we have reduced sizes of source code systems and data, for a big win. Stayed tuned...

-Mustafa Thamer

Comment

Glad to see that it looks like you've solved the memory problems. It's significantly less frustrating when I get a crash to know that soon enough there will be another patch.

Comment

New to this forum and game for that matter but I have patched to 1.61 and I crash late in the game on standard maps

250 gig SATA HD 93% clean
                        2 gigs ddr ram
                        3500+ athlon x64
                        nforce sli board

please explain to me why I cant play this game...

~disgruntled (soon to be former) civ 4 owner

Comment

Patch 1.61 DOES NOTHING TO FIX THE CRASHES OR THE RANDOM LITTLE DOTS THAT APPEAR ALL OVER THE SCREEN.

THIS IS STUPID! I'M SICK AND TIRED OF THIS.

HOW LONG DO WE HAVE TO WAIT? TO GET A PRODUCT THAT WE SPENT OUR MONEY ON TO WORK CORRECTLY?

Comment

I set the game up on my kids computer:

p4 2.53, gforce 5700 le, 1 gig ram, 160g (80x2) Sata (raid 0), Audigy card, and I played a few games. Never crashed, gets slow around 2000 AD on standard, but still very playable. Everything on high, single unit graphics though.

I was originally playing on my computer which is a heck of alot better, and I crashed once in 6 months(?). Probably had something to do with Kaspersky trying to scan on me while I was playing Presently my computer has been overtaken by Oblivion (only computer I have that will play that darn game...), so civ 4 is stuck on the kids computer for now.

Comment

Working...
                            X