Poll: Crashing During Mid/Late Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
    Where's "ATI card, more than 1gb RAM, no crashes"?
    Originally posted by Drachasor
    I didn't have room for the people that don't crash. If you don't have problems (and if you do) please post your system specs as well as the largest map size you have played to completion in this thread. Thanks.

Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
    no VRAM variable? I think that would potentially contribute to any potential problems as well.
    Originally posted by Drachasor
    I'd do all that, but I was capped at 24 poll options. So 24 there are. If there is a noticeable pattern in the above poll, then I'll make another that covers other variables.
    "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by John-SJ
      I've been crashing a lot on standard (haven't tried larger) maps (GeForce and 512 Mb) until yesterday. I disabled videos in my config file and things are now smooth again.
      Slap me upside the head and call me stupid, but how does one disable the movies?

Comment

I have an ATI card, more than 1GB RAM and no crashes, therefore I cannot select any item on the poll...

Furthermore: There is no indication of graphics card memory on the poll. If that turned out to be the most important factor, this poll would miss it!

Comment

I have selected:
          "Geforce Card, 1 Gig Ram, and I crash on standard or larger maps"

but I should say I crash no matter what size map. And I might crash 30 secs into a game on small map or play for 45 mins on large map. It might crash when scrolling, clicking on a city or unit, clickin in the cityscreen, opening an advicer, opening the civilopedia, moving a unit, or simply when the game is idle and waiting for me.
          Go figure.

My specs:
          Geforce FX5700LE w. 256 Mb ram.
          Athlon 2000+ (1.7 GHz).
          1 Gb ram.
          Windows XP SP2.
          Tried between 1.5 to 3 Gb pagefile.
          Onboard sound (tried with that off in BIOS).
          Tried all drivers (sound, chipset etc.) not updated and updated.
          Tried around 7 different videodrivers including omegadrivers and newest nvidia-driver (81.95).
          Tried different screen-resolutions.
          Tried with graphics on min, max and inbetween.
          Done defragmentation and reinstall more than a couple of times.
          Tried installing on same drive as Windows and on a partion on another HD.
          Case open with fans blowing cooled air through the system or case closed wihtout fans is no different.
          All done with or without patch.

No matter what I have done so far the game crashes on me and I have to reboot. Hard reboot. And even ofter after I patched.

Comment

Always reboot on standard map (never played on larger) about mid/late game. Usually play with res 1280×1024, high details, now reduced to 1024×768, low details, nothing better (version 1.00 and 1.09)...

Hmm, what to do, waiting on patch... again...

Specs (above recommended...):

AMD ATHLON 64 3000+ (2GHz)
            1 GB DDR RAM
            ATI RADEON 9550, 128MB DDR
            Windows XP SP2

Taurus

Comment

I have Geforce Card, 512MB Ram, and my mid/late game is very slow on standard maps. Haven't even tried big maps because I'm sure it's a nightmare, if it works at all.

Especially when I get the world map for the first time, I have to wait 10-15 min before my computer comes back to life again.

I haven't voted though because I have no crashes. But then my system is very stable.
              "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
              --George Bernard Shaw
              A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
              --Woody Allen

Comment

I have a GF4 Ti4400 128Mb card with 1Gb of ram with an AMD 1900 and plenty of HDD space. I tried with the virtual memory paging system turned off and now have it set to system management which is giving me about 1500Mb of virtual memory....alas...I am still crashing on a standard map but always before I get to 100BC and always with a message consisting of:

Memory allocation failure. CvAppMainLoop.cpp Line: 261

- Not to mention the severe lag between turns!

Any ideas? Coz I am about to take the game back for a refund! Which is a damm shame coz I love Civ and have been playing since version 1!

Comment

I have:
                  Geforce FX5900 GTX (IIRC)
                  1 GB ram
                  P4 2.4GHz
                  Plently of HD

And so far I have had no crashes, but I've only played on normal map size (or whatever it's called in the game)... I run everything on high at 1024x768 (I've also tried at 1280x1024, where it ran almost as great) and everything runs nice

I haven't installed the patch
                  This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Don't remember my exact processor, but I think it's Athlon 2800+ I'm at work so can't look.
                    1gig of DDR ram
                    FX5700 LE with 256 mb VRAM.

I have been crashing to Desktop alot, especially late in the game. Since the patch I am getting the option to send the info to Microsoft, which I have been doing. Hopefully, sending it will get the information they need to get this fixed.

I've noticed that most of the problems I happen to have is when I am scrolling the screen or the screen shifts quickly to another unit. This is when the CTD happens most of the time for me. Sometimes, though, it's when there is a leader popup for whatever reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Sootbeard

I've noticed that most of the problems I happen to have is when I am scrolling the screen or the screen shifts quickly to another unit. This is when the CTD happens most of the time for me.
                      Same for me.

Comment

Thanks to Stone-D in this thread I found something that reduces late-game lag significantly. His comment:

To be honest, I no longer believe the slowdowns in the late game are due to game->texture->driver. I've recently had cause to turn debug loggin on, and my last freeze/crash was the result of an attempt in python to redraw the main screen. It was looping indefinitely and I had to end task. I'll be posting that elsewhere as a bug report.
                        This made me think of the CivilizationIV.ini which has this option:

"; Set max frame rate clamp (0 means none)
                        SetMaxFrameRate = 0"

I changed this setting to '20'. I will try higher settings later.

I also, on gut/whim, changed

"; Set to 1 for dynamic animation paging
                        DynamicAnimPaging = 1"

To 0.

I tried both seperately and both together and they seem to work much better together. The game runs smoother and seems to crash less (though it would still crash for me).

-Drachasor
                        "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

It seems as if, judging by the poll results, either many more people own Nvidia based cards and so the results are skewed in that direction, or Nvidia based cards are involved in crashes several times more frequently than ATI cards.

Unfortunately, with this poll, it's impossible to tell.

Comment

ATI card owners, try this:

Confirmed by me at least. I had frequent reboots and crashes (rarer in early games and smaller games, but very common in late games and large games). I had originally been playing with Catalyst 5.6 (on a 9700 pro if you must know). I upgraded to 5.10 (latest) and had the same issues. Not only...

It worked for me, no more crash at all!

Taurus

Comment

Geforce Card (GeForce FX 5500), 512MB Ram, and I've had precisely one CTD since I've had the game. I have yet to play on anything larger than a standard terra map (which I understand to be slightly larger than a standard continents map), though. The game does slow down in the late game.

-Arrian
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

It would be useful for us to know how many people who are having crashes are able to do the MS error reporting thing. (It's possible that people have that turned off in their system settings...) That stuff eventually makes it way to us and is really our best bet for catching these system specific problems that aren't reproducible.
                                - What's that?
                                - It's a cannon fuse.
                                - What's it for?
                                - It's for my cannon.

Comment

Working...
                                X