• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
    Never had a crash with the game yet

Pentium D 3.0 MHz
    1 gig RAM
    GeForce 6800 (256MB)
    Now that is interesting. I have a pentium D 2.8, 1 gig Ram and the same video card. The only time i ever reboot my computer is when Civ 4 does it for me. Also, it crashes everytime i try to load a game the first time, after the reboot loading games works fine for 10-30 turns or so.
    When the stars threw down their spears,
    and water'd heaven with their tears,
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Comment

Originally posted by Soren Johnson Firaxis
      It would be useful for us to know how many people who are having crashes are able to do the MS error reporting thing. (It's possible that people have that turned off in their system settings...) That stuff eventually makes it way to us and is really our best bet for catching these system specific problems that aren't reproducible.
      I had no idea that Microsoft actually passed on the info contained in the error reports! I guess I should learn to control my fear of Big Brother sometimes...

*restarts error reporting service*

Comment

I think I have gotten rid of my CTDs, though it will require further testing to be sure (I played over 10 turns without a crash, which has never happened before).

Here is a link the thread post where I discuss what I have done

-Drachasor

PS. Read both posts
        Last edited by Drachasor; November 30, 2005, 22:06.
        "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

It would be useful for us to know how many people who are having crashes are able to do the MS error reporting thing. (It's possible that people have that turned off in their system settings...) That stuff eventually makes it way to us and is really our best bet for catching these system specific problems that aren't reproducible.
          Hmm, we could make a poll for that. I have mine on. Also I have a couple of dump files from my crashes--I can't really do anything with them can I? (that is, they seem useless for my own personal use)

-Drachasor
          "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by Drachasor

Hmm, we could make a poll for that. I have mine on. Also I have a couple of dump files from my crashes--I can't really do anything with them can I? (that is, they seem useless for my own personal use)

-Drachasor
            have you been able to send the error reports to MS?
            - What's that?
            - It's a cannon fuse.
            - What's it for?
            - It's for my cannon.

Comment

Originally posted by polarnomad

I had no idea that Microsoft actually passed on the info contained in the error reports! I guess I should learn to control my fear of Big Brother sometimes...

*restarts error reporting service*
              I didn't know that either until a few weeks ago... but we fixed a few crash bugs from Pirates! from MS error reporting, so we are hopeful for the same with Civ4.

Nothing to fear!
              - What's that?
              - It's a cannon fuse.
              - What's it for?
              - It's for my cannon.

Comment

Originally posted by Drachasor

-Drachasor
                how big are your dump files?
                - What's that?
                - It's a cannon fuse.
                - What's it for?
                - It's for my cannon.

Comment

how big are your dump files?
                  Biggish, I think around 300 megs. (search comes up with something)

Oooo, one's 700 megs. I only have 1 or 2 since I thought the computer was hanging (it was just taking a long, long time to make the file). I am sure I can reconfigure my computer to generate more, however. : )

I have been able to send several error reports to microsoft, btw.

-Drachasor

Comment

That's a pity... I was going to ask you to e-mail them to me, but that's probably a bit bigger than our system can handle!
                    - What's that?
                    - It's a cannon fuse.
                    - What's it for?
                    - It's for my cannon.

Comment

i just crashed laging a hamlet outside of anyone's borders, does that count?
                      By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

That's a pity... I was going to ask you to e-mail them to me, but that's probably a bit bigger than our system can handle!
                        I could burn it to a CD and mail it to you if you want. Just PM me an address. I could collect a few and mail you 3-5 CDs worth if you want.

Hmm, does it combine multiple dumps into one file? Or does it overwrite past dumps? I seem to only have one file at the moment. I am pretty sure my first was around 300 megs, but the one I have is 700.

Anyhow I don't think it would be that hard to collect several dumps. Mailing isn't that much trouble either.

-Drachasor
                        Last edited by Drachasor; December 1, 2005, 01:02.

Comment

BLACK TERRAIN

I didn't know that either until a few weeks ago... but we fixed a few crash bugs from Pirates! from MS error reporting, so we are hopeful for the same with Civ4.

Nothing to fear!

Soren, I apologize for going out of topic, but as long as you're watching this thread, I'd like to ask you about a problem that's been keeping a lot of people like myself with Civ4 on the shelf, waiting for a solution for the BLACK TERRAIN problem (the 1.09 patch didn't fix it for a lot of people).

I can see leaderheads, units, cities, forests, jungles, flood plains, waves moving, hammers, bread, coins, resources and can zoom pretty well, why can't I see normal terrain (plains, grassland, peeks, hills)??? It's all black!

I have a P4 2.5 laptop, XP SP2, updated drivers, 512 RAM, SIS 650 64Mb (no T&L, but good enough to play every other game like Rome TW or AoE3). Besides, lots of people without T&L have been able to play Civ4 after the patch.

Thanks in advance if you can please take a minute to drop a line about this...

Comment

QUOTE]It would be useful for us to know how many people who are having crashes are able to do the MS error reporting thing. (It's possible that people have that turned off in their system settings...) That stuff eventually makes it way to us and is really our best bet for catching these system specific problems that aren't reproducible.[/QUOTE]

Event Type: Error
                            Event Source: Application Error
                            Event Category: None
                            Event ID: 1000
                            Date: 11/26/2005
                            Time: 9:53:58 AM
                            User: N/A
                            Computer: VOODOO-DADDY
                            Description:
                            Faulting application civilization4.exe, version 1.0.9.1722, faulting module civilization4.exe, version 1.0.9.1722, fault address 0x0065289e.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
                            Data:
                            0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
                            0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
                            0010: 75 72 65 20 20 63 69 76 ure civ
                            0018: 69 6c 69 7a 61 74 69 6f ilizatio
                            0020: 6e 34 2e 65 78 65 20 31 n4.exe 1
                            0028: 2e 30 2e 39 2e 31 37 32 .0.9.172
                            0030: 32 20 69 6e 20 63 69 76 2 in civ
                            0038: 69 6c 69 7a 61 74 69 6f ilizatio
                            0040: 6e 34 2e 65 78 65 20 31 n4.exe 1
                            0048: 2e 30 2e 39 2e 31 37 32 .0.9.172
                            0050: 32 20 61 74 20 6f 66 66 2 at off
                            0058: 73 65 74 20 30 30 36 35 set 0065
                            0060: 32 38 39 65 0d 0a 289e..

Only game played on huge map since patch, always the same message (address)
                            Last edited by WiggleStick; December 2, 2005, 19:39.

Comment

The late game crash is pretty much the only issue i'm having playing the largest map size.

AMD 64 3700+
                              GeForce 6600 GT 128 MB
                              1024 RAM

Comment

I mainly get crashes trying to start the game and reload a previous save. So far I have only played standard size maps. I almost always get a long (4-5 minute) delay on my first [Enter] key starting the first turn, and if it doesn't crash then, I am probably OK. If it crashes, I clean out the cache and start again.

I also can send dump files or upload them to an ftp site if desired.

Comment

Working...
                                X