this game is not kosher!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sharule

Im a little confused why firaxes included pigs and clams as resources at all.

Because pigs are hugely important in European Christian diets and in the diets of people like the indigenous peoples of Nepal and New Guinea, the rest of Polynesia, et cetera.

The little piggies dispose of human waste in Nepal and provide leather as well as foodstuffs.

Shellfish/snails are/were also extremely important- as foodstuffs, a source of dye and as luxury goods (nacre or mother of pearl). Tyrian purple dye came from rotting murex .
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Just because there's a pig/clam tile doesn't mean it has to be worked. It's clearly possible for a Jew to be a pig farmer: he is not because he should not, and chooses not. The game is kosher insofar as you follow the kashrut.

If it was impossible to farm a tile due to religious beliefs, that'd be no great mark of faith or personal virtue. Resisting the temptation to benefit from exploiting an unclean resource tile is the key.

Comment

The little piggies dispose of human waste in Nepal and provide leather as well as foodstuffs.

BLARGH
        I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

the game is also pretty sexistic... with all those clams and beavers that can be harvested and camel(toe)s that can be ridden on

just joking
          - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
          - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

too many women on game diplomacy- we all know that feminism is an invention of our times
            I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

I thought I'd ask here since I don't seem to be able to find a better thread.

Is is just random, or do certain civs, such as Judaism, not come with a free Missionary?
              For some the fairest thing on this dark earth is Thermopylae, and Spartan phalaxes low'ring lances to die -- Sappho

Comment

The three early religions do not come with a missionary: buddhism, hinduism, judaism.

The latter four do, to help them catch up.

Comment

The latter four religions (Christianity, Islam, Confucianism and Taoism) get free missionaries since the earlier three have a considerable headstart on them.
                  Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

I think the point thtat is being missed here is that pigs and cattle, etc. are only representations of the fact that the land is good for raising animals to eat.

Therefore, there really shouldn't be much of a controversy- unless the religion in question (Hinduism) is vegetarian in nature- in which case the resources should be taken to represent good crop growing regions.
                    -->Visit CGN!
                    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Working...
                    X