No announcement yet.

Space Colonization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see the this thread has moved past the "I wish I could colonize space and take civ to the next level" but I thought i'd chime in and say that you all want to downlod an amiga emulator and find a copy of "Deuteros"
    The Best Multiplayer Game Ever

Comment

Originally posted by gdijedi7
      Oh ye of little faith. Computer technology is doubling every month the last I heard.
      I assume you are talking about Moore's Law.

It says the number of transistors you can pack in a fixed amount of silicon space doubles every eighteen months.

However, a 2GHz processor isn't twice as powerful as a 1GHz processor, even though it probably has more than twice the number of tansistors.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by gdijedi7
        Technology is still growing at an astronomcial rate.
        Soon it will slow down due to laws of physics.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

But loopholes around the laws of physics are found as well, redefining those very laws at the same time.
          He who knows others is wise.
          He who knows himself is enlightened.
          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Even if it does slow down, technology is still expanding incredibly quickly.
            I don't know what I've been told!
            Deirdre's got a Network Node!
            Love to press the Buster Switch!
            Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

Originally posted by Jabutron

More like a 60000-km-long nanotube. The outlying end needs to be placed in geostationary orbit. Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy offers an interesting view of them: grab a carboniferous asteroid, bring it to geostationary orbit, and have machines assemble nanotubes.
              That description certainly worked for me.

An awful lot of the 'hard' science fiction about exploring and utilising our solar system is possible to begin implementing now. The only thing lacking is the political will to finance the venture. The major returns on the investment are too long term for most to contemplate when the next election or investors meeting is less than five years away.
              To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
              H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold

The only thing lacking is the political will to finance the venture. The major returns on the investment are too long term for most to contemplate when the next election or investors meeting is less than five years away.
                That's why the Chinese are going to kick our a$$es in outerspace.

Comment

Working...
                X