Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grenouille
    I had the same idea!
    But not for colonizing another solar system. I always found it silly to have an interstellar space craft in 2050 or 2100.. far too early!

Instead, there should be the colonization of OUR solar system. The civilizations of earth should be able to visit and colonize Luna, Mars, Venus, Europa, etc. and expand their empires to the Solar System.
    Yeah, that what was I had in mind, not go out and colonize the whole universe, that makes Civ a different game.
    How about make it "Mars Expansion". Get your research tree high enough and you can go to Mars as a start. I know it's a bit sci-fi, but it surely gives Civ a new dimension - and a reason for you to play your civilization further into the future.

Comment

This was tried in Civ2:Test of time. They dropped it for Civ3, so I guess it didn't work very well.

Hey! I'll Ship some of my SEALs to the Moon! Wait! We forgot our Oxygen masks! OH NO!

Actually, SEALs would become SEALS: SEa, Air, Land, Space.
      I don't know what I've been told!
      Deirdre's got a Network Node!
      Love to press the Buster Switch!
      Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

Well Test of Time wasn't done by the original devs, but another company hired to produce an expansion or something like that. The colonizing Alpha Centauri stuff didn't work that well as it only happened at the end of the game so it didn't mean much. However they did have Sci-fi/Fantasy scenarios with multiple worlds/levels that worked out great. Underworld/Surface/Sea/Sky for Fantasy and Colony World/Space Platform/Two other alien worlds.

Really some of my fondest memories of Civ2 are from playing those scenarios and according to Firaxis when they did the release day chat having multiple worlds like that in a game is possible. Though they said it would take some effort. Anyway before I go completely off topic i'd like to say colonizing Moon/Mars/etc.. would be nice.
        "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Comment

CtP went from 3000 BC to 3000? AD. Eventually you could have cities on the ocean floor, and cities floating in space. I thought that was cool, although not any more realistic than flying a spaceship to Alpha Centauri. The AI really sucked in CtP though, so that you weren't really playing against it by the time you got to ocean/space cities. Still, it was fun to build them.

As for solar system/inter-stellar colonization, check out:

It's going to be a long wait for that game though...2006, 2007??

Comment

Originally posted by ChaotikVisions
            Well Test of Time wasn't done by the original devs, but another company hired to produce an expansion or something like that. The colonizing Alpha Centauri stuff didn't work that well as it only happened at the end of the game so it didn't mean much. However they did have Sci-fi/Fantasy scenarios with multiple worlds/levels that worked out great. Underworld/Surface/Sea/Sky for Fantasy and Colony World/Space Platform/Two other alien worlds.
            Ah. Good point. I had forgotten about those. Like the Fantasy scenario where you could go underwater. But I never figgured out how to conquer realms your units could not live in.

"I'm sorry, but I'm trying to conquer the world to make a magical catapult, and I need you to kindly surrender all of your cities to me."
            Last edited by gdijedi7; December 9, 2005, 15:20.
            I don't know what I've been told!
            Deirdre's got a Network Node!
            Love to press the Buster Switch!
            Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

i think the spaceship should go to MARS not AC. AC is light years away!! mars is only a few months when its in the right place! and mars is very much settleable! i think it should be mars that is colonised!

Comment

Originally posted by Electrius
                Uh huh, the whole psychic brain-burrowing creatures, intelligent planet, and life existing in the Alpha Centauri system (binary system with no large gas giants -- at least none observable from earth -- to clear out the comets that would destroy life) is perrrfectly plausable.
                Ever thought that a second sun is more efficient at clearing comets then a jovian? More mass, more heat...
                He who knows others is wise.
                He who knows himself is enlightened.
                -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

My biggest problem with SMAC was the hardwired intelligent alien planet scenario. Most of the time I just wanted to play on an unreactive mudball so that I could imagine it was Mars - or anywhere other than a pink worm farm

I don't think there is much point in making planetary colonisations a part of the main civ game, since its rare that people are balanced enough to make that a challenge. Whoever got to the moon or mars first would have a huge lead in much the same way anyone does who reaches the "americas" in a terra Civ map.
                  To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                  H.Poincaré

Comment

I was also thinking of Test of Time when I read this! If they implement something like that in a future expansion (or maybe Civ5), this could be possible, espesiallcy if you could have different map sizes (so that the moon or the alien planet is smaller/ bigger than Earth). I do miss those features of ToT; it was fun with the different worlds...

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold
                      My biggest problem with SMAC was the hardwired intelligent alien planet scenario. Most of the time I just wanted to play on an unreactive mudball so that I could imagine it was Mars - or anywhere other than a pink worm farm
                      Yep.
                      The best (or at least most realistic) game I know so far which involves colonizing lifeless realistic planets is Outpost.

Wouldn´t be a bad idea if people who intend to make a mod (or even an oficially expansion) which involve colonization of mars or other planets play this game first (i.e. if they don´t already know it )
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Perhabs it`s really too much for an add-on for Civ4.

So, make a new game, Firaxis! Colonization II: SPACE COLONIZATION. Hehe.

The game starts in the year 2000, and you choose one of Earth`s civilizations (USA, Russia, China, Japan, EU, India, etc.) and have to research space technologies to colonize the solar system and beyond.

Comment

I think I'll stick to a game that loosely revolves around the history of human civilization called, ironically, Civilization IV.
                          Killing is fun in pixels, isn't it?

Comment

Of course, but why not another game that revolves around the future of human civilization?

Comment

Marco Polo has been born on The Moon!

Comment

No, no ,no Johanes Kepler!
                                I'm not buying BtS until Firaxis impliments the "contiguous cultural border negates colony tax" concept.

Comment

Working...
                                X