Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: rofl

Originally posted by KiloAlpha4
    If ya want to roll over them easily then just have a nuke-a-thon . just my 2 cents
    No kidding, LOL.
    It is tremendously difficult fighting in urban terrain. It's the most difficult kind of warfare in the world today, and will most likely remain that way for a long time to come. Found that out the hard way in my few years in the Marines. You have to watch EVERYWHERE, places you've never thought of. Not a lot of fun looking at dead animals and wondering if they contain bombs... or looking down an alleyway and seeing an RPG aimed at your head.

Would you expect even say, a tank division to take New York City or Los Angeles and expect to hold it for very long? Just look at the tank driver who stole one... he ended up putting it on the median dividers!

I do agree with the idea of upgrading the unit from being named a longbowman to a somewhat more appropriate name and character look for the time period, per say... while that might not be something that the CIV developers chose to do for one reason or another, CIV is certainly mod-able enough to change that should that bug a person too much. Or perhaps that is something that could be brought up to Firaxis for a future patch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shr3dZ

So a warrior could get turned into a militia unit with 2 strength, or a longbowman could be one with 6.

But obviously its not that big a deal...
      Not to get too OT, but wasn't the first unit in Civ I the militia, with an ADM of 1.1.1? Hehe sorry, you just brought back memories...

Comment

• Well, seem to me the original poster attack a city without any preparation, he simply drove up his tank to city gate without any siege preparation. Well, if you are this careless, the defender should have a small chance to win. Anything can happen on battlefield when troops are not properly prepared. Hell you can even get killed by your own people if you are not careful, the Coalition force in IRAQ had quite a few friendly fire incident that resulted in casualties.

On the other hand, if you took the time to siege the city by bombardments, collateral damage, whatnot, and your tanks still lost, well in this case you got a real valide reason to complain.

Comment

• Not to get too OT, but wasn't the first unit in Civ I the militia, with an ADM of 1.1.1?
          Yes. It covered many ages, like Cavalry (2.1.2) which represented mounted units from ~500BC to late 19th century.

It is tremendously difficult fighting in urban terrain. It's the most difficult kind of warfare in the world today, and will most likely remain that way for a long time to come.
          Difficult yes, but do you really think it gives the defenders a bigger advantage than a fortress or a bunker if the attackers don't have to care about civilians? I don't really think in gives either side the advantage, if the attackers are free to ignore PR matters, it only makes some unit types harder to use than others (tanks, rifle-based infantry...).
          Last edited by RGBVideo; November 8, 2005, 00:22.

Comment

• Originally posted by LaRusso
            you mean this one?
            exactly -- but maybe Kuci will create a new version, with an archer instead of a spearman
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by VJ

Difficult yes, but do you really think it gives the defenders a bigger advantage than a fortress or a bunker if the attackers don't have to care about civilians? I don't really think in gives either side the advantage, if the attackers are free to ignore PR matters, it only makes some unit types harder to use than others (tanks, rifle-based infantry...).
              From personal experience, the best way to fight in a city with the least friendly casualties is to level it. Yes, it does give defenders a bigger advantage than a fortress or a bunker. At least with fortress or a bunker, you KNOW where the enemy is at, and can concentrate firepower to destroy him. On the other hand, if you take a city in general, there are so many places to hide that it is far better odds for the defender because he knows the city. He can hide ANYWHERE. He's only limited by his ingenuity. Also- far easier to hide as a unit of people than it is as a unit of vehicles.

PR has nothing to do with that, that's just simple fact.

Comment

Yes. It covered many ages, like Cavalry (2.1.2) which represented mounted units from ~500BC to late 19th century.
                Civ 1 Cavalry = Best Unit Ever
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

• Originally posted by TheWalrus
                  I would rather that ancient and medevial units be upgraded to milita units as they are made obsolete with the potential to upgrade them to say riflemen or musketeers once you have the technology. That is a more intelligent way of doing things.
                  I think this is the obvious solution.
                  Now, what are we going to do about frigates sinking my submarine?

Comment

I know this works, because it's the way I've waged wars so far. The problem is that it doesn't make any sense to wage war, ever. Concentrate on your research and try to max out your GrP production, steamroll for a spaceship or UN victory.
                    At higher difficulty and in MP you HAVE to go to war. There is little choice

Comment

• Just a little reality check, its not common for a Tank division to do a frontal assault on a walled city. Usually this would be accomplished with tons of bombing to reduce the city, then probably an assault by special forces and infantry. Tanks are designed for open area warfare, IE Blitzkrieg, it is no problem for infantry to reduce tanks inside a city with limited movement.
                      The stupid shall be punished.
                      www.akulla3D.com
                      ^^^
                      "Never interupt your enemy while he is making a mistake." -- Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Working...
                      X