Archer Killed Modern Armor!!!?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zinegata

... And actually, most stories of Polish cavalry charging German tanks were myths. German propaganda, however, highlighted the one true incident of it occuring to show how their "modern" army was overruning the underarmed Poles. Western historians tend to repeat this propaganda. Polish historians, on the other hand, note that their cavalry performed quite well during the German invasion, especially since their cavalry also had tank support. (Poland had a few tanks at the start of the war, though their quality was quite good, which were mainly assigned to the cavalry divisions)

... Also, Russian cavalry rarely, if ever, performed cavalry charges "wiping out swathes of the German army". World War II cavalry mainly fought on foot, using horses only as transport. The wide use of artillery made cavalry charges impractical at best and suicidal at worse. In fact, though cavalry would still be in use by 1945 (and many years after), the last cavalry charge ever made happened in 1943, two years before the end of the war. Interestingly, the last charge would be made by Italians!

Finally, the T-34 was hardly a perfect unit. While more powerful than early Panzer IIIs and Panzer IVs, it was outmatched by the newer Panzer IV, and totally outclassed by the Panther and the Tiger tanks fielded by the Germans later in the war. The T-34's gun, in fact, is not powerful enough to destroy a Panther in one shot. The Panther's gun, on the other hand, can easily destroy a T-34 in one shot, and it has a longer range to boot.

The fact that the Russians won at Kursk (even though Germany was using many of these new Panthers and Tigers) was a testament to the Red Army's maniacal courage rather than the quality of their equipment. Their courage was such that T-34 drivers at one point were ramming their enemy counterparts!

Really, I have to say that Firaxis needs to make sure their combat system doesn't produce flukey results in the next Civ game, or at the very least they should convert ancient units to a poorly armed modern counterparts when the times leave them behind. Threads like these and the misconceptions they spread wouldn't happen in the first place if they did it -_-;;;
    AFAIK, polish army at that time had units of 'lancers'. sure that was german propaganda?

russians had 1st cavarly army under belov. it performed reasonably well in moscow counteroffensive, being especially mobile in the snow (unlike german tanks which had many problems at low temperatures) and yes, it cut down a lot of german soldiers. deal with it.

if you bothered to check the link i provided (american intelligence magazine in 1946), they pointed out that cavalry did not charge like it did during napoleonic wars. it was supplemental unit used for particular purposes and it worked reasonably well when used sparringly and cleverly.

t-34 was certainly the best tank of ww2. it won the war not only through numbers (well, french had more tanks than germans, so what), but because it was the best balanced tank in mass production. towards the end of the war, germans managed to pump in some superiorly armored/armed tanks, with the end result of them being less maneuverable and guzzling oil like crazy. tank warfare is a constant battle against enemy and fuel depletion, and a tank out of fuel is a sitting duck. which happened quite a lot, although germans were on defensive.
    attrbuting russian successes to 'maniacal courage' is downright insulting for the military genius they have shown on quite a few occassions during ww2. it also feeds into a myth of an invincible german army which got brougth down by a combination of vodka, asiatic hordes, stalin's terror of its own populace and General Winter. consequently, this is insulting for germans as well, because it stresses that they had better equipment and training and have lost only because they did not have enough bullets to kill the ever-replenishing hordes.
    (as for ramming - this is what they did when they ran out of ammo in the midst of the battle, similar to ramming planes into opponent. while brave, it is a fairly rational choice at the moment. kursk was not won because of ramming, but rather because of superior intelligence data and careful preparation of fortifications and counterattack).

the point being - it should be possible to stage a surprise,especially when on defence or countering a weakened, though more modern, unit. firaxis would have to fix its system only if this was a repeated occurence, and solver ran a calculation showing that this would happen indeed sparringly. i guess it is fairly easy for those concerned to mod the combat factors so that a slight tech advantage results in wiping out entire civilizations.

Comment

I don't see what the fuss is about.If you want historical games play Paradox titles.The game has to balanced so it doesn't become a just a rush to Tank tech game.If anything it should be more common for older units to win.

Comment

This is a strategy game based on numbers and probabilities. It is not really tanks fighting archers, any more than there is an immortal (or at least 6000 years-old) George Washington guiding the brave people of New York to research the wonders of Wheel. The units just represent numbers, with higher numbers giving you better odds at winning a fight. Live with it or play something else.

Sheesh, by Civ 4 one would have thought that people actually learned that.
        The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
        - Frank Herbert

Comment

angry rant:

The chance of a Longbowman beating a Modern Armor are extremely, and I mean extremely, small. If you are attacking a city without bothering to take out city defenses (which increases the Longbowman's chance), it's your fault for not attacking properly.

I could understand this attitude if it would be easy to edit out the ridiculously high city defense bonuses, but I still haven't been able to find a way to do it.

Sorry, but he's just not playing Civilization 4 properly. It might not fit with his worldview, but he's playing this game, and this game's battle outcomes are based on the game rules unless he edits them himself.
          Close thread. Now. No discussion of any worth will come of this. The OP is clueless and the rest of you should know better.
          This is a strategy game based on numbers and probabilities. It is not really tanks fighting archers, any more than there is an immortal (or at least 6000 years-old) George Washington guiding the brave people of New York to research the wonders of Wheel. The units just represent numbers, with higher numbers giving you better odds at winning a fight. Live with it or play something else.

Sheesh, by Civ 4 one would have thought that people actually learned that.
          take a step back, and see the game as a game, not an alternate reality. Games have rules, and these rules don't necessarily reflect the cold hard real world.
          Yeah -- because it's FUN when you have to create 10 artillery-based units along with every swordsman to capture jack, and how raiding cities quickly with mounted units is completely impossible. I just LOVE it how it's "a tradeoff" (read: not making any sense at all) to wage war in cIV - well, I would be if I would be having Solver's playing style, that is

THANK YOU Solver, for lobbying a playing style which renders combat useless after ancient age during game's beta stage (let's be honest now -- you wouldn't be such a fanboy if they wouldn't have done like you would've wanted them to do)... Everyone of course has the same inflexible builder playing style as you do.

Look, jackasses, they've (or you've, if you beta-testers are reading this) taken out the rational use of combat out of the game. Not everyone has played the previous Civ's so shallowly as you have. Do you realise how much flexibility it takes out from the gaming experience when it doesn't make any sense to attack anymore in normal games (I can invent very extraordinary circumstances when it makes sense, such as tiny map, 18 civs, but in normal mp... nope)?

It's absolutely concievable that a longbowman company could take out a cadre of tanks. The longbowman isn't going to stand there in the open and shoot at the tank and let the tank shoot at it. That's sheer stupidity. The longbowmen would lay in wait next to the road or the path of the enemy approach (tanks make a LOT of noise) and prepare an ambush.
          This isn't a new argument. What it fails to understand is that it is physically impossible to destroy tanks or air units >50 m high if you don't have gunpowder or any weapon invented after it.

also, consider the fact that russian cavalry wiped out swaths of german troops under moscow in 1941 counterofensive.
          Cavalry can take out tanks -- if it has piled-up charges and mines with it.

An archer in a well developed city with max defenses is the equivalent of a much higher lvl unit. Just because the graphic shows an archer if you forget that the game is not completely built around "unit type = only factor" then your gonna lose.
          Yes, I've noticed it. My question is: WHY ON EARTH IS IT? It breaks down the combat model.

By the way, in my last game, I fought a war vs. a backward opponent, where I had Infantry, Cavalry and Riflemen, the opponent had Musketmen, Grenadiers and Knights. I didn't lose a single Infantry, that being my most advanced unit and twice stronger than their best unit.
          So how many cities did you conquer?

how would you feel if ai gets a tech lead over you and there is absolutely NO chance ANY of your units survives 1-on-1?
          I think it would be good that the game would punish me for falling so badly behind

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Marcus

Maybe if he's got a full set of epic gear...

oh, and nerf Longbowmen
            Yeah, Thrall should be able to take on a formation of Panzers.
            The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
            - Frank Herbert

Comment

This is somewhat confusing. A lot of rhetoric flying around without much in the way of concrete information.

"It shouldn't be a race for Tanks."

Well, no. If the game was "first one to Tanks wins", then it probably wouldn't be as much fun. But if you beat me to Tanks, I probably still have Infantry. Or Riflemen at the worst. Someone who only has Longbows to defend with shouldn't be stopping Tanks. Tanks are not merely a step up from Longbows, they are many steps up. It's roughly the same as comparing Cavalry against Warriors. But no one talks about the "race for Cavalry".

"It's just a game."

Well, yes, it's a game. But it's a game based on real world information. As a player, game immersion can make the playing experience more fun. Having events that contradict the real world so blatantly tends to ruin that immersion. You could easily play the game with "Unit A", "Unit B", and so forth. But when you call "Unit A" an Archer, and "Unit B" a tank, then you create expectations in the minds of the players (namely that "Unit B" can smear the ground with "Unit A" )

"You can't take cities without artillery."

Well, that's not true. You need either artillery or superior numbers. Most people seem to go the artillery route, and some seem to believe it's the only route to go. Personally, I go the numbers route. A city with 4 Riflemen defending it is going to get taken over by my stack of 12 Cavalry (to use roughly parallel tech levels). Oh, I'm probably going to lose a fair amount of Cavalry, sure, but I'm going to take the city. As long as I have cities producing fresh troops, I can keep the pace going (with better movement than dragging around artillery, which is why I prefer it). So it's entirely possible to do, but yes, artillery would certainly make it a lot easier.

But, then, I don't think I'd want it to be too easy.

Bh

Comment

Well, that's not true. You need either artillery or superior numbers. Most people seem to go the artillery route, and some seem to believe it's the only route to go. Personally, I go the numbers route. A city with 4 Riflemen defending it is going to get taken over by my stack of 12 Cavalry (to use roughly parallel tech levels). Oh, I'm probably going to lose a fair amount of Cavalry, sure, but I'm going to take the city.
                What's more rational -- building up a 10-1 advantage (strength values, let's keep techs and different unit types out mixing this up) and then hoping for the best or building up a 2-1 advantage and carrying this massive stack of arty units always with you?

Spoiler:
                Answer: neither. More rational would be to build more great wonders or spending shields to research

Comment

You know, I don't think Mechanized Infantry with it's 20mm popgun should be able to defeat a Modern Armor... Unless they have missiles and such, not visible in the battlefield.
                  I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Dr,ape
                    take a step back, and see the game as a game, not an alternate reality. Games have rules, and these rules don't necessarily reflect the cold hard real world. Why would the bank in the game of Monopoly have unlimited funds?? It just does. Accept it, then you have a game; Question it, then you have an endless philosophical debate about something other than the game.

The horse is dead; it has been dead since 1991 -- so stop beating on it.

Quite true... it's only a game, people. Enjoy it for what it is, and don't let some minor 'design flaw' ruin your experience.

Comment

I noticed people are overreacting.
                      It's not an archer but a longbowman that managed to kill a modern armor. How often does it happen? Very rarely. So I don't see it as a big deal. So you win 90%... I think that's enough to make sure you can win a war against longbowmans

Also, a lot of people are complaining about taking cities. Atm I'm playing hotseat game with my brother, epic. He managed to take out entire Empire in 100 years. (1400-1500) He's England and he conquered Spanish empire.
                      Now to compare how strong each side was: He only attacked with Maceman, Cats, Musketman and Pikemans. That's it! He even didn't had any mounted units (has no horses).
                      Spain: They had mostly Archers, Spearmans and chariot archers. Also after a while they had Longbowmans too.
                      They had 5 cities, he also had 5 cities. Also he didn't use that many units, I guess around 12 max.
                      So I wonder what all the fuss is about, I take cities very easily. Of course you have be strong and use your promotions very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
                        You know, I don't think Mechanized Infantry with it's 20mm popgun should be able to defeat a Modern Armor... Unless they have missiles and such, not visible in the battlefield.
                        A mech unit is just not one jeep but an division full of people with anti-tank weapons,etc.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ

What's more rational -- building up a 10-1 advantage (strength values, let's keep techs and different unit types out mixing this up) and then hoping for the best or building up a 2-1 advantage and carrying this massive stack of arty units always with you?
                          Well, obviously in the situation you describe, the latter is the rational choice. However, the situation you describe isn't what happens in the game, so it's not really relevant.

I generally attack (and win) with something in the 2-3:1 ratio range. Call it 2.5:1. That's not too onerous a build up. I would imagine that you could attack with as little as 1:1 with artillery, but I'd probably call it at 1.5:1 to be safe. So I don't even need double the numbers. I do, however, take more casualties (although most "mobile" units have withdraw, which can help cut down on losses). I find the the added mobility makes up for the loss ratio. Your mileage may vary.

(When I can throw the pyramid at my enemies to crush them, I'll consider that the more "rational" choice )

Bh

Comment

... Also, Russian cavalry rarely, if ever, performed cavalry charges "wiping out swathes of the German army". World War II cavalry mainly fought on foot, using horses only as transport. The wide use of artillery made cavalry charges impractical at best and suicidal at worse. In fact, though cavalry would still be in use by 1945 (and many years after), the last cavalry charge ever made happened in 1943, two years before the end of the war. Interestingly, the last charge would be made by Italians!
                            I still dispute this last fact. While it was a nice little even in Nemo's scenario, I'm sure there was another cavalry charge in subsequent conflicts. I mean, I guess it depends on how you define "cavalry charge" but just look at the Chinese Civil War that lasted until '49. Neither side had a particularly great advantage in armor and horses were used a lot, so at some point I'm sure some horses charged some men or some other horses. Might not have been a big engagement, but to me that qualifies as a "cavalry charge."
                            Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

And there comes my 2 cents: The best way the combat was treated was in Civ 2. Having different hit points for every unit made "the archer killed my tank" impossible. I don't know why the dev starting from Civ 3 changed it. I guess because some civ players like to save/load a hundred times before thier archers kill the AI tanks...

Comment

Originally posted by LaRusso

AFAIK, polish army at that time had units of 'lancers'. sure that was german propaganda?
                                There were indeed Polish Lancers. However, they did not carry lances alone. They also carried rifles, and they were supported by light tank companies.

The lances were in fact more of a tradition, because Polish cavalry is known for lances rather than sabers. That doesn't mean they're dumb enough to go into battle carrying only lances however =).

russians had 1st cavarly army under belov. it performed reasonably well in moscow counteroffensive, being especially mobile in the snow (unlike german tanks which had many problems at low temperatures) and yes, it cut down a lot of german soldiers. deal with it.
                                Yes, there were large Russian cavalry units. But they fought on foot. They didn't do cavalry charges anymore because it's suicide. "Cutting down" enemy soldiers is the wrong term to use.

if you bothered to check the link i provided (american intelligence magazine in 1946), they pointed out that cavalry did not charge like it did during napoleonic wars. it was supplemental unit used for particular purposes and it worked reasonably well when used sparringly and cleverly.
                                Exactly. Cavalry at the time no longer charged. They were simply infantry with horses. The horses provided mobility, like trucks did to motorised infantry. However, they rarely used horses in battle. Horses cannot survive a modern artillery barrage. They'd either be killed or they'll run away from fright.

Trust me when I say that I know my World War II history, and it peeves me when people are spreading misconceptions =).

t-34 was certainly the best tank of ww2. it won the war not only through numbers (well, french had more tanks than germans, so what),
                                Nope, the French had better tanks. Tanks that were so good, in fact, that they were impervious to German tank guns.

The Germans, however, had more tanks and better control and coordination over their tanks. The latter is the decisive difference.

but because it was the best balanced tank in mass production. towards the end of the war, germans managed to pump in some superiorly armored/armed tanks, with the end result of them being less maneuverable and guzzling oil like crazy. tank warfare is a constant battle against enemy and fuel depletion, and a tank out of fuel is a sitting duck. which happened quite a lot, although germans were on defensive.
                                Well, if logistical reliability is your benchmark for excellence, the best tank of World War 2 then is the much-maligned Sherman. Shermans actually have comparable speed, armor, and gunpower compared to the T-34. On top of that they were also twice as reliable and far easier to mass-produce.

The T-34 may take the title of the most important tank of World War II. Early in the war (1941), although it was only used in few numbers, it helped stall the German advance due to its superiority to early German tanks. In the decisive year of 1942, it was arriving in fairly large numbers and was instrumental in helping the Russians in their offensives against Stalingrad. By 1943, it composed the bulk of the Russian tank force, but by then it wasn't such a great tank and suffered extremely high losses. More advanced tanks, like the IS-2, had to be developed as a result.

There is no "best" tank in World War II as each tank has its own strengths and weaknesses dictated by its design. But given the key role of the T-34, it's the most important.

attrbuting russian successes to 'maniacal courage' is downright insulting for the military genius they have shown on quite a few occassions during ww2.
                                And what's wrong with "maniacal courage"? The Russians suffered more casualties than anyone else combined in World War 2. It is not an indication of good leadership or military genius. It is an indication of a people's extraordinary courage and willingness to sacrifice themselves for a cause.

Honestly, aside from Vatutin, Chuikov, and perhaps Zhukov, many Russian senior commanders were outright bad. The Eastern Front was won because of the extraordinary courage of the ordinary Russian soldier.

it also feeds into a myth of an invincible german army which got brougth down by a combination of vodka, asiatic hordes, stalin's terror of its own populace and General Winter.
                                Nope, mentioned none of those. I only said "maniacal courage". Maniacal courage is a good thing. =)

I will say however, that contrary to the beliefs of many, the German army actually outnumbered the Russian Army in 1942. "Overwhelming numerical superiority" did not win the war for the Russians.

consequently, this is insulting for germans as well, because it stresses that they had better equipment and training and have lost only because they did not have enough bullets to kill the ever-replenishing hordes.
                                Well, given the barbaric way the German Army conducted itself in the East, and given that they're the ones who spread bad myths about the Red Army after the war, then I'm glad if my assessment seems insulting to them. They frankly deserve it.

How you managed to come to that conclusion based on my statements however (I had never mentioned the German army not having enough bullets to gun down asiatic hordes. I'm saying the German army had the best equipment and training, and still lost because the other guy wanted to win more than they did =) ), I've no idea. Is English your first language?

Although honestly, I have no idea where you're getting these "Russians used horde tactics" thing. I merely said Russian soldiers were maniacally brave. Being brave is not the same as having superior numbers.

(as for ramming - this is what they did when they ran out of ammo in the midst of the battle, similar to ramming planes into opponent. while brave, it is a fairly rational choice at the moment. kursk was not won because of ramming, but rather because of superior intelligence data and careful preparation of fortifications and counterattack).
                                Yes, and it still takes extraordinary courage to ram an enemy. It's not rational to ram an enemy vehicle. The rational thing to do is to pull back and replenish your ammunition when you've run out. The brave thing to do is to ram an enemy tank.

Bravery is a virtue, and it's what allowed the Red Army to triumph. I will say though, that Kursk was indeed helped greatly by a superb intelligence effort and excellent defensive preparations. Besides, the ramming was only a highlight of the extraordinary courage of the Red Army. There are plenty of other examples I could have cited - anti-tank teams dashing close to Tigers to chuck molotov cocktails, 47mm gun crews firing at point blank range, etc.

the point being - it should be possible to stage a surprise,especially when on defence or countering a weakened, though more modern, unit. firaxis would have to fix its system only if this was a repeated occurence, and solver ran a calculation showing that this would happen indeed sparringly. i guess it is fairly easy for those concerned to mod the combat factors so that a slight tech advantage results in wiping out entire civilizations.
                                A "slight" tech advantage shouldn't allow one to wipe out another civ with ease. A massive tech advantage on the level of modern armor vs archers should.

Also, I did do a calculation for Civ IV combat odds, and Civ IV actually seems very solid, as I mentioned already.

My main objection is that the previous Civ, Civ III, created a combat engine whose stated objective is to weaken the decisive edge of Modern units! Worse still, I had calculated the combat odds in Civ III, and while at first glance it seemed "okay", what actually happened during the game was considerably different. I agree with an assessment made by Vel that the Civ III combat engine produces more ****ey combat results than it statistically should, to the point that I've begun to believe that the Civ III's combat engine's "dice" are loaded to favor the underdog -_-.

Now, of course, I expect this thread to continue to spiral out of control, with wilder and wilder claims being made by all sides and more misconceptions being spread. And all this because the Civ IV combat engine lets a Modern Armor unit be defeated by Longbowmen. I am going to buy Civ IV in spite of this and I think I will enjoy it, but for pity's sake Firaxis had better do something about this in their next Civ -_-. A longbowman winning against a Modern Armor unit, from both a logical and game balance standpoint, should be closer to an impossibility rather than an improbability.
                                Last edited by Zinegata; November 7, 2005, 07:52.

Comment

Working...
                                X