No announcement yet.

Helicopter (Gunship) Oddities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys , an helo that can't cross rivers or mountains is a bug , not a feature.

Gunter

Comment

Originally posted by Arbarbonif

Heh, aren't sidewinders heatseeking too?

As far as gunships I would like them to be kinda like the old triremes; make it so that they are lost if they end their turn over water, but able to cross it. And make them carryable on carriers.
      The first sidewinders back in the sixties made a habit of losing their target off racing off to attack the sun. I'm reliably informed that none ever hit.

As for helos - they should be able to cross lakes and rivers no problem, sounds like something else that didnt get coded in before the must-meet-christmas release date. Mountains are a little tricker - choppers (and indeed a lot of ground vehicles) struggle hugely at altitude due to the lack of air.
      "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

Forget the damn sidewinders, it was a poor choice of reference

Lets just say a modern Air to Surface missile that works. Or cluster bombs like the rockeye, or even strafing with the MGs. Either way you look at it, a modern jet squadron would annihilate a frigate. All it needs is to catch on fire.

Comment

and don't forget napalm. I'm sure we still have that stuff in our arsenal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
            and don't forget napalm. I'm sure we still have that stuff in our arsenal.
            Napalm sticks to kids.
            "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
            "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
            "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
            "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by spy14
              The first sidewinders back in the sixties made a habit of losing their target off racing off to attack the sun. I'm reliably informed that none ever hit.
              The AIM-9B (the first production Sidewinder) got it's first kills in 1958 - Communist Chinese MIGs shot down by Nationalist Chinese (Taiwanese) F-86Fs. They also scored 28 kills in 175 launches in the skys over Vietnam, between 1965 and 1968. Not a great hit ratio, but not zero, either.
              We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude.
              We forge our spirit in the tradition of our ancestors.
              You have our gratitude!

Comment

Originally posted by MattPilot

You ever heard of the vietnam war? The US had all the technology in the world, and N. vietnam had nothing but bycicles. I guess technology didn't win that war either.

As for your example - i'd imagine the stealth bomber would have a tough time targeting a wooden ship that is VERY small, unlike your more modern destroyers.

Are you kidding me? A stealth Bomber can put a missle through a house window 3ft across. Laser Technology.
                Realism and Extended Game play Mod Supporter.

Check it out over at www.civfanatics.com, under the Creation Forum.

Comment

Physics rules have been rewrited from scratch , Leonardo is hardly rioting in his tomb , no one even in worst nightmares have ever seen an helo that can't cross rivers and mountains.

It is like to have triremes with hitting waves cannon fitted and barbarian cyborgs sailing it ! come on !!

I sincerely hope Sid will be warned of this

Gunter

Comment

Originally posted by Delta-V

The AIM-9B (the first production Sidewinder) got it's first kills in 1958 - Communist Chinese MIGs shot down by Nationalist Chinese (Taiwanese) F-86Fs. They also scored 28 kills in 175 launches in the skys over Vietnam, between 1965 and 1968. Not a great hit ratio, but not zero, either.
                    I meant that none of them ever hit the sun
                    "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

Originally posted by spy14
                      I meant that none of them ever hit the sun
                      Ah, ya got me!
                      We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude.
                      We forge our spirit in the tradition of our ancestors.
                      You have our gratitude!

Comment

You have to consider, that the "support" team is the part that can't go into the lake, across the river, or out to sea.

Helos are a really strange unit. You do kind of have to feel for the programers here, because there's no easy solution. Civ2's wasn't the best, it had its own oddities that were already mentioned.

Helos have tons of uses. The main one seems to be the "I dare you to attack this stack with armor" effect. Even when the city is bombed down to 0%...here comes a unit that still wants to fight 50/50 with the best land unit in the game.

Comment

So would there be any way to mod in a transport helicopter? (sorry... i have a thing for dropship units) If so could it be made useful?
                          Siga El Conejo Blanco
                          Dios, patria y libertad - Ecuadorian motto
                          | NationStates Roleplayer: The Honor Guard | Check out my Civ4 'friendly game' of MP: A Few Good Leaders |

Comment

Originally posted by ElConejo
                            So would there be any way to mod in a transport helicopter? (sorry... i have a thing for dropship units) If so could it be made useful?
                            I'd really like one too. Or a Transport plane that can drop off units.

Or a special promotion that allows airdrops for units.

Comment

I guess we can hope...

COMEON good moders!
                              Siga El Conejo Blanco
                              Dios, patria y libertad - Ecuadorian motto
                              | NationStates Roleplayer: The Honor Guard | Check out my Civ4 'friendly game' of MP: A Few Good Leaders |

Comment

If you're talking about real world...

Modern armor (Probably the best Abrahams A1-M2) was used last time in 1992 in Irak.
                                USA congressists don't want to spend more money in that kind of weapons because they are obsolete (in favor of Apache helichopter and F32 jet fighter). And they say they don't buy more fighters until 2050. Perhaps the F32 was the last manned jet fighter
                                Last edited by RadeonZero; November 10, 2005, 05:00.

Comment

Working...
                                X