No announcement yet.

Helicopter (Gunship) Oddities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If all gunpowder units have first strike, is it really a first strike?
    "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
    "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
    Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

If a Warrior has Woodsman and there are no Forests, does it get a bonus?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill3000
        If all gunpowder units have first strike, is it really a first strike?
        Against things like swordman, macemen, knights and longbowmen, yes. *smartass*

Seriously, if a Longbowman and a Machinegun get First Strike against units, so should infantry and other modern units.

It's hard to say waht's better at "Firs Striking" the Long Bow or a Muskett, but a rifle will out range and out damage the long bow any time. IMHO that is.
        "Build Ports when possible. A port gives you extra resources, as well as an extra tile for a unit to stand on." - Infogrames

Comment

Originally posted by Akaoz

.... but a rifle will out range and out damage the long bow any time. IMHO that is.
          Is this true in Civ tho?

I mean, we've all heard the horror stories... STUPID SPEARMAN!
          Siga El Conejo Blanco
          Dios, patria y libertad - Ecuadorian motto
          | NationStates Roleplayer: The Honor Guard | Check out my Civ4 'friendly game' of MP: A Few Good Leaders |

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Best laugh I had all week!
            Eine Spritze gegen Schmerzen, bitte.

Comment

You know the only reason we haven't had the battleship vs phalanx arguments of civ 1 is because naval units can't attack ground units. . . right?
              By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Kc7mxo
                You know the only reason we haven't had the battleship vs phalanx arguments of civ 1 is because naval units can't attack ground units. . . right?
                Siga El Conejo Blanco
                Dios, patria y libertad - Ecuadorian motto
                | NationStates Roleplayer: The Honor Guard | Check out my Civ4 'friendly game' of MP: A Few Good Leaders |

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                  THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                  AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                  AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                  DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by MattPilot
                    May i suggest a higher difficult level if you are fighting gunships vs knights?

Anyway, I think gunships shouldn't have the pillage option. I'ts not like they are landing, jumpin out, and collecting their loot.

Also, gunships are very good vs armored units. +100%. Since armor doesn't get defensive bonus, that puts gunships vs armor equal.

Now add a +25 against armor promotion and see who has the upper hand. Perfect to counter those Modern Armor stack attacks people where suggesting.
                    ---------------------------------------------

I had it happen on a Noble/Epic game, I saw this happen when the Mongols attacked me late in the game for some reason. Earlier in the game I'd knocked them down to 1 or 2 cities, so they were way behind everyone, but their spirit was undaunted obviously!

Pillaging is maybe ok, but 4 times per round is nuts. You can totally clear out a place really quickly with a few choppers. Not sure why helicopters would be able to pillage/destroy more improvements than airplanes or ground units anyway, I doubt they carry alot more payload than a bomber.

Like I said, they own WW2 armor, but against modern armor they are what - 32 vs 40 or so? Even with a 25% bonus they'd come out dead even, so guess again on who has the upper hand! There should be an Apache type upgrade for modern choppers, as well as transport choppers, and they should be able to spot subs imo.

Comment

It would not be right to give gunships the ability to move over mountains and water tiles - no matter if lake or ocean. It would create a situation of them attacking units in adjacent tiles, while being invulnerable, because other units can not enter this terrain and hence, not attack it either.

The only thing I could think of is to give them a "can attack cross river without penalty" ability.

Comment

Gunship vs. Armor =

20 + (20 x 100%) = 40

So it's an even match before promotions for either side.
                        "Build Ports when possible. A port gives you extra resources, as well as an extra tile for a unit to stand on." - Infogrames

Comment

Problem is though. When you are faced with a stack of Modern Armor and Mech Inf, it's impossible to get the unit type bonuses for the attacker...

If you attack with a Gunship, the Mech Inf will defend. If you attack with Modern Armor, the enemy Armor will defend...

Combined Arms favors the defender, and there is little the attacker can do about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Akaoz

Combined Arms favors the defender, and there is little the attacker can do about it.
                            That is unfortunately true.

Perhaps we need a special unit ability (via promotion or given to certain units) that ignore best defender and go vs best odds - but only when attacking, of course.

The Marine (ala special forces) & the gunship (can fly) 'ought to receive such a bonus. Axemen could be given this bonus in the more ancient age, and i'm sure there is a unit inbetween somewhere for the semi-modern age.

Comment

Re: Helicopter (Gunship) Oddities

Originally posted by Falconius
                              Finally made it to the modern era (!) and noticed some odd goings-on with the gunships (aka helicopters).

1. When attacking across a river, they get the same river crossing penalty as ground units. Why? They're not wading through water, they're flying!

2. They can't move across water spaces, not even lakes that are one tile in size. Again, why?

3. They can't fly over mountains. Huh?

Hope someone with ability mods this soon, because it's downright silly. Copters could do these things back in Civ 2, for crying out loud.
                              If these bugs are confirmed the situation is worst then I could ever imagined

Gunter

Comment

those aren't bugs, but design features. Seriously. That is how they designed choppers. Gunships should be more powerful, since they represent apache type helicopters I'm assuming.

Comment

Working...
                                X