Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone explain what the medics really do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone explain what the medics really do?

And if I have ten units stacked all with a medic I promotion, how the promotion will work?

A unit with a Medic promotion heals other units stacked with it an extra 10% of damage per turn.

My understanding is thus. If a unit with strength 6 is wounded and down to 4, then damage is 2. Thus, a Medic would heal that unit an extra 0.2 points per turn. At least I've always assumed it works so.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Provided, of course, the unit is actually not moving and resting.

Medic II allows a unit to exert the Medic I effect in its square, and every square adjacent.

March (quasi-Medic) is available to any unit with Combat I and Medic or Combat...III I think? This effectively allows a unit to exert its healing effect while moving.

So if yer smart, you get March by going through Medic I, instead of Combat III - because then the unit is healing, while moving, at an accelerated rate.

Last tip - Aggressive troops start with Combat I. Get them a barracks and either Vasallage or Theocracy... and you've got troops that can come right out the door with March. Yar!

(Napolean's Marching Muskeeter pillager strategy anyone?)
      Friedrich Psitalon
      Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
      Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

Fried, so am I right about the healing rate being 0.2/turn in my above example?

Medic II apparently only makes the effect apply to adjacent squares, without increasing the actual healing rate. March is very useful for when you need to spend 2-4 turns moving between targets.

Comment

But what will happen if there are several stacked units with medic promotion?

Comment

I think their effect stacks. Then again, that would mean that ten Medics would heal any damaged unit in that tile in one turn. Fried?

Comment

Pretty sure I read somewhere, I think the manual maybe, that the medic effect does NOT stack. A medic trained unit will heal all units in it's stack. But having multiple medic units in same stack will not create some super healing wave.

Comment

The effect of multiple medic units definitely does NOT stack. That'd be kinda sick. 10 Medic-March units = maximum health every turn? Ew.
                Friedrich Psitalon

Comment

Ahh. That's why it's better to spread them out over your stacks, then.

Comment

Units heal at a rate of 10% per turn when not in rival territory all by themselves, so long as they don't move on the turn. The medic promotions add to this, and the march promotion allows it to work even if they do move. Units only heal at a base rate of 5% per turn in enemy territory, so keep that in mind.
                    -Arkalius

Comment

Actually, there are four distinct healing rates: in your territory, in a city, in neutral territory and in enemy territory.

Comment

Does March only allow the one unit to heal while moving, or the whole stack to heal while moving?

Comment

I've wondered the same...I've assumed it's single unit only simply because it doesn't explicitly state otherwise.

Anyone know for sure?

Comment

Single unit.
                            Friedrich Psitalon

Comment

one thing you might want to notice is that there are two ways to hit March - from Medic I (II?) OR from Combat III.

For the latter, it comes in EXTREMELY useful, as I don't have to wait after a city capture to heal for a turn or 2. Just start heading out and by the time these "Elite" units get there, they're all healed up :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X