ATI: Possible fix for crash at stat up after the renderer problem have gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by taybme
    So I assume that I dont have a startup issue either, even though i am crashing during the loading screen.

I tried to play the tutorial and after about 15 minutes of play it crashed as well.
    Startup issues is when you can't get to the main menu, so yes you have another issue.
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

yeah, i started a new thread...thanks for you help though.

Comment

Thank you, Both problems are fixed. Thank you for all the work

Comment

Hello there!

I have that CTD problem as it's the issue in this post here. After I got that renderer error under control, the game still fails starting - it always crashs back to my desktop without even showing me the main menu. I installed the game, used the pak, tryed the art-folder-renaming and also deleted the cache. Nothing worked for me so far. I'm really stuck.

My System:
          WinXP Pro 2002 SP2
          AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+
          2.17 GHz, 1GB RAM
          Connect 3D ATI Radeon 9600 Series
          Newest Omega Drivers

Comment

Have you tried creating a new user and running the game by that user? That solved the same problem for me and numerous others. Not ideal, but I can play.
            A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
            Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

Originally posted by Ribannah
              Have you tried creating a new user and running the game by that user? That solved the same problem for me and numerous others. Not ideal, but I can play.
              that should effectivly be the same as clearing the cache. (It was where I got the idea to suggest doing so from)

Comment

Ok now I also tried to user another user account, but that doesn't work either. Btw I recognized that the game while it loads (immediately before it crashs back to desktop) says "Init XML (uncached)", so i guess the empty cache is not the problem. This seems to be a dead end...

For those who want to know - my log files tell me this:

resmgr.log:
                RESMGR: Scene file Art/Terrain/Lights/TerrainLight.nif failed to load. Reason: (code:1) Cannot open file.

init.log:
                [2216.015] DBG: FILE Cat Init
                [2216.531] DBG: NOT Using XML cache, failed to find crc.dat file
                [2216.531] DBG: Game Init
                [2216.531] DBG: Multiplayer Init
                [2216.625] DBG: Audio Init
                [2217.406] DBG: ArtFileMgr Init
                [2217.421] DBG: Python Init
                [2223.156] VERSION: CIV Version: 0
                [2223.156] VERSION: Save Version: 100
                [2223.156] DBG: Input Init
                [2223.156] DBG: Engine Init
                [2226.484] DBG: Engine: Axis Engine Initialized
                [2226.484] DBG: Engine: Scene Graph Initialized
                [2226.640] DBG: Engine: Shaders Initialized
                [2226.656] DBG: Engine: Scene Lights Initialized

Comment

Originally posted by Gramphos

that should effectivly be the same as clearing the cache. (It was where I got the idea to suggest doing so from)
                  No folders have been created yet when Civ4 exits for my primary user. This is way before any rendering or cache problem.
                  A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...

Comment

Originally posted by Ribannah

No folders have been created yet when Civ4 exits for my primary user. This is way before any rendering or cache problem.
                    In that case it probably crashes when trying to create those folders.

Comment

I have the same problem -

Pentium IV 3 gig
                      ATI Radeon 256 mb
                      512 mb mem
                      Win 2k

Originally got renderer problem, fixed with driver upgrade; crashed to desktop before game begins at all, tried the fpk-tool alpha release - still crashed.

enabled logging - this is my init file:

[2917.745] DBG: FILE Cat Init
                      [2919.287] DBG: NOT Using XML cache, failed to find crc.dat file
                      [2919.297] DBG: Game Init
                      [2919.297] DBG: Multiplayer Init
                      [2919.488] DBG: Audio Init
                      [2920.219] DBG: ArtFileMgr Init
                      [2920.219] DBG: Python Init
                      [2928.000] VERSION: CIV Version: 0
                      [2928.000] VERSION: Save Version: 100
                      [2928.000] DBG: Input Init
                      [2928.040] DBG: Engine Init
                      [2931.184] DBG: Engine: Axis Engine Initialized
                      [2931.184] DBG: Engine: Scene Graph Initialized
                      [2931.264] DBG: Engine: Shaders Initialized
                      [2931.284] DBG: Engine: Scene Lights Initialized

Please help! I bought this game with great anticipation and this is getting very frustrating.

Comment

I have now managed to run the game by my primary user by using the 'run as' option. It appears that this only works if the new user has a password. Next, I also gave my primary user a password, but that did not help, I still have to use 'run as'.

This might help to find the cause of the problem.

Comment

Finally it works!!! Radeon 9600 XT VPU

I finally got CIV 4 to run. Following all the solutions that has been provided through online. None of it works until I reinstall everything once again.

my graphic card is
                          XTASY 9600 XT 256MB, got it for less then 100 at outpost "Fry" just yesterday.

After rendering problems:

1) uninstalled CIV4

2) get the latest driver version at ATI.COM for my card

3) install driver and reboot

4) install fresh copy of CIV4 in default folder

4) since im running win 2k, i download the suggested fpk.zip
                          Ran it and extracted the file located at civ4/assets/art0.fpk
                          into the folder
                          civ4/assets/art

5) then i move the file art0.fpk to the root directory of CIV4 as instructed.

Ran Civ4 and now I finally get to play.

If you are running on the same card as mine, then you should not have any problems. Trial and Error for over 3+ hours, but im up and running.

I know the instruction is no difference then what has been presented.

This is just one person success story after following all the links.

Thanks to those who work hard to get us all on CIV4 ASAP.

Comment

Working...
                          X