ATI: Possible fix for crash at stat up after the renderer problem have gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI: Possible fix for crash at stat up after the renderer problem have gone

While the PAK-fix work for a majority of the ATI users having problem, there are some that still can't get the game to launch. There have been suggested a few possible fixes for that error, and I start this thread for users having this problem (not the black texture problem) to not have to read through all posts in the PAK-fix thread to find various possible fixes.

A first thing you should try is to clear your Civ4-cache. It is possible that your testing to get past the renderer problem have rendered your cache useless, but Civ4 haven't detected that. To delete your cache go to your "Application Data\MayGames\Civilization 4" folder (normally C:\Documents and Setting\%USERNAME%\Application Data\MayGames\Civilization 4), and delete the folder named cache. Now retry to launch the game.

Hopefully the above steps will be ennough to get past the crash problems. If deleting the cache don't work there are reports that doing advanced file renaming steps can solve the problem. However, those steps might just be what is needed to make the game realize that the cache should be updated. These steps are described here.. Note that there have been no confirmation on any case where this have worked when deleting cache have not.

Please post in this thread if it fixes the problem or not, and if the problem was fixed, if deleting the cache were ennough, or ifyou had to do the file renameing as well.
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

it doesnt work for me It just crashed to desktop

Comment

Does Civ4 produce any log output?

Comment

I cant understand what you mean with "produce any log output" I play some turnes (15-20) then crashed to desktop and after that every time when i try to continue it crach It`s hard...I try everything possible,every idea that i read in that forum but ... Maybe i have to download new drivers for the video? I`m with Ati radeon 9200

Comment

Then somethiong is probably boren in the save you are playing. The suggested fixes here are for when the game crashes before the intro movie.

Comment

Yeah, I think a corrupted or not updated cache might be an issue too. I'll try it later, thanks.

2 questions thou. 1st one is in another thread (that has no responses besides my bump) if you want to post it there please do.

How do you turn ALL the sounds off?

How do you enable logging in the .ini file

Jim

Comment

Gramphos - can deleting the cache theoretically help other problems as well, particularly creeping graphical corruption erorrs (ie, graphics corrupting slowly over time until CTD/etc.?)
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I have no "cache" directory.Is it possible that i cant find it or the directory must be in
                C:\Documents and Setting\%USERNAME%\Application Data\MyGames\Civilization 4

Comment

The game crashes at the second load screen (after I have picked all my game settings). The screen goes black and Nimoy keeps talking but the moment i touch anything i get my desktop completely distorted, and a graphics error.

I have
                  - tried the pakbuilder
                  - uninstalled/reinstalled the CURRENT ATI drivers and Omega drivers
                  - uninstalled/reinstalled the game by direction of the Civ IV website
                  - performed all the prior tasks in a countless number of combinations (since Thursday night)

This morning I tried to
                  - clear the cache
                  - rename the Art folder
                  - establish a new user account and play from there

I have a Radeon 9800 series card.

The crash forces me to restart everytime and it is beginning to get on the frustrating side (i think i listened to the first half of the same song like twenty times now).

After trolling these forums for two days I have to reiterate, I have downloaded, installed, and double checked the dates on the ATI drivers.

Any new ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by avram bakalina
                    I have no "cache" directory.Is it possible that i cant find it or the directory must be in
                    Yes, that is the directory for the cache. There are 3 directories for civ4:

Application Data\MyGames\Civilization 4
                    My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4
                    And the C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 DIR for the game itself

On about that fix of mine that Gramphos links to, it solves teh problem of the game CTD immediately after the renderer error, assuming you fixed THAT error by unpakking the file.

I had some problems with in-game movies (religion/wonder), but that was fixed by clearing the cache. Maybe clearing the cache helps because these files in the cache were put there back when the game kept getting renderer problems, and deleting the cache forces the game to re-load these files properly, fixing it.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                      Gramphos - can deleting the cache theoretically help other problems as well, particularly creeping graphical corruption erorrs (ie, graphics corrupting slowly over time until CTD/etc.?)
                      Deleting cache can help any type of startup problem. I don't think it helps agains in game problems thou.

Comment

Originally posted by avram bakalina
                        That is the correct directory. Make sure you enable hidden directories, as Application Data might be hidden. (Or do you find the folder, but just no cache directory?)

Comment

Originally posted by taybme
                          The game crashes at the second load screen (after I have picked all my game settings). The screen goes black and Nimoy keeps talking but the moment i touch anything i get my desktop completely distorted, and a graphics error.

I have
                          - tried the pakbuilder
                          - uninstalled/reinstalled the CURRENT ATI drivers and Omega drivers
                          - uninstalled/reinstalled the game by direction of the Civ IV website
                          - performed all the prior tasks in a countless number of combinations (since Thursday night)

This morning I tried to
                          - clear the cache
                          - rename the Art folder
                          - establish a new user account and play from there

I have a Radeon 9800 series card.

The crash forces me to restart everytime and it is beginning to get on the frustrating side (i think i listened to the first half of the same song like twenty times now).

After trolling these forums for two days I have to reiterate, I have downloaded, installed, and double checked the dates on the ATI drivers.

Any new ideas?
                          How mush RAM do you have? What map sie are you trying? Have you tried a smaller map?

Comment

Originally posted by Gramphos

That is the correct directory. Make sure you enable hidden directories, as Application Data might be hidden. (Or do you find the folder, but just no cache directory?)
                            just no cache directory...

Comment

I had been using the Large map but now have tried all the smaller sizes...

I have 1 gig of RAM and 128 on my video card.

My video card is about two years old but it has worked fairly well up till now (of course, if this gives me a good excuse to buy a new one, I may jump on that).

Anything else I could try? I havent seen a forum dedicated specifically to ingame freeze ups... but i have noticed several people talk of the same problem, but i think most of their problems were fixed with the pak.

Comment

Working...
                              X