No announcement yet.

the goal: Driver Version: 8.18.0.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are 2 driver numbers for the "same" drivers. If you look under Options, Details under Advanced Display Settings, there is:

2D Version 6.14.10.6575
    Display Driver Version 8.18-050914a1-027256C-ATI
    Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, I am seriously confused (though really appreciating the help you guys are providing).

How do I check my computer (not the site) to know what driver I have currently?

When I called civ tech support (they werent thrilled), they told me that my last driver update was 7/2003 and maybe I should consider buying a new computer. Not great help there.

I have tried downloading everything you guys have mentioned, but that date doesnt seem to change when I search dxdiag.

Before I found your site, i called ATI. They told me they dont cover my driver, Dell does. When I called Dell, they told me to get an answer, they are going to charge me $249 to ask 1 question.

sorry to complain here. I was really excited about spending my afternoon playing and nothing is working. i get a "done" message when I load the game.

Thanks in advance
      Ginger

Comment

Here's how you check your driver version:

1. Right click on the desktop.
        2. Select Properties
        3. Select the Settings tab (the one furthest right)
        4. Click on Advanced
        Now this is where it's different based on which video card you have. For ATI cards, it's under the ATI Options tab; it may be different for other cards. Look for something that says "Driver version:"

Comment

All I can say is, at least I am not alone. Right now, if I uninstall my drivers, my computer goes nuts. When I put them back on, I cant upload the newer driver. I am stuck at 6.14.

Ginger

Comment

I have kinda the same problem on Fujitsu N3010.
            I am not able to install the newest ATI driver, no INF file error. It is more like my comp has some serious problem here...
            Mart
            Map creation contest
            WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

Sorry, but I'm getting tired of the "check your drivers" business. I know you guys are weighing the options, but we can only give you so much information before it starts to seem like you're stalling.

I'd like to hear a time range for how long this is going to take to fix. Thats the only thing that could possibly make me want to keep my copy, due to all the technical difficulties we're having with it.

Comment

I'd give them a little credit, though. You just spent over 2 years making a game basically from the ground up, sent it out working just great (at least, we assume they thought it worked), and suddenly every user with an ATI card (it seems) can't run the game. Where do you start? How do you test it? Isn't right now beyond business hours (heck, I'm a little sleepy myself)? If they've found a fix, it could be so complex that the only fix is a patch, not something average Joe with a comp can make.

I've resigned myself to sleeping it out. Sure I was pissed when I first got the error, but things happen.

Comment

I acknowledge that theres always going to be bugs in a game when it launches. But for a game this large, I'd expect things to work relatively well. Right now, a large portion of those who bought Civ IV can't play it because of a programming slip-up. Hell, I'm not even pissed that I got a French tech tree poster. It doesn't matter to me, although that was another slip-up.

I've been looking forward to this game for the longest time, and I expect it to run perfectly. Even World of Warcraft, the buggiest single game to date, worked out of the box. They just ****ed it up with their patches.

Comment

*nods enthusiastically* yeah, WOW did run.... until everyone else got on.

Yeah, I sympathize with you. I only had one other game not work upon release, but that had a simple fix.

I'm just as eager as you for this game, spent all day at work reading the manuel.

For the time being, it's easier on your frustration if you just resign yourself to sleep it off. Maybe it's fixed tomorrow.

Edit: dangit, I just CANNOT type tonight

Comment

Nah, its BS. From a business standpoint, crap like this shouldn't fly.

Comment

Check here, where I got the problem solved:
                        Mart
                        Map creation contest
                        WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

Hell, I'm not even pissed that I got a French tech tree poster.

Most people will get a poster that is not in their native language.
                          Y'all amuricans are just not used to it.

a large portion of those

It looks large when reading this forum, it's (hopefully) not that bad, most people will just install and enjoy but don't hear them as...well...they are playing.
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva

It looks large when reading this forum, it's (hopefully) not that bad, most people will just install and enjoy but don't hear them as...well...they are playing.
                            It looks like half of all ATI users can't play the game judging by the polls so far here and over at Civfanatics. That's pretty large. I don't understand how that could have slipped by all the testers.

At least I haven't spent any money on the game yet so I don't have to be angry about it, but I'm certainly not impressed. Especially since my Radeon 9550 seems to be one of the cards having problems. I just bought it this summer in order to play Pirates! thinking it would work for Civ 4 as well, and I can't afford to get another one.

Comment

Originally posted by Willem
                              It looks like half of all ATI users can't play the game judging by the polls so far here and over at Civfanatics. That's pretty large. I don't understand how that could have slipped by all the testers.
                              That seems a bit unlikely, since about half of the testers (if not more) are ATI users and don't have any problems. The ATI users with problems are just more likely to vote
                              Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

I don't understand how that could have slipped by all the testers.

Simply because none of us experienced it. I'm sure that if one has encountered it, he would have mentioned it.
                                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                                X