Possible Fixes for "Failed to Initialize Renderer" Startup Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(catalyst doesn't work with notebooks).
    Well, there's my problem then... Man, I guess I'm really up a creek now...

Comment

Since the issue is graphics related and a previous post mentioned watching Football on the PC, I thought this might also be interesting/important:

Running Snapstream BTV3 with Haupauge WinTV PVR 350 hardware.

Comment

KB831240
        KB887797
        KB896344
        KB900930
        KB891122

Are the only available, non security updates to WinXP for my machine

Update for WMDRM-enabled Media Players (KB891122)
        Download size: 5.9 MB , 1 minute
        Install this update to enable your PC to access premium content protected by Windows Media Digital Rights Management.

Update for Windows Media Connect
        Download size: 6.5 MB , 1 minute
        Windows Media Connect is the easiest way to deliver music, photos, and videos from your Windows XP computer to your stereo and television. Installing Windows Media Connect enables you to deliver music, photos, and videos...

Update for Windows XP (KB900930)
        Typical download size: 556 KB , 1 minute
        Install this update to address multiple Outlook Express issues in Windows XP. This update addresses an issue in which messages are improperly handled if the subject line contains the word “begin” and a display issue concerning watched threads in...

Update for Windows XP (KB896344)
        Download size: 1.3 MB , less than 1 minute
        The Files and Settings Transfer Wizard included in Windows XP SP2 does not support gathering data from a 32-bit Windows XP environment and applying it in a 64-bit Windows XP environment.

Cumulative Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP (KB887797)
        Typical download size: 612 KB , 1 minute
        This non-security update helps resolve various issues found in Outlook Express.

Update for Windows XP HighMAT Support in CD Writing Wizard (KB831240)
        Download size: 1.8 MB , less than 1 minute
        This extension allows you to create HighMAT CDs of your digital photos, music, and videos optimized for viewing on...

Comment

I am convinced there's something wrong with the DX installer on the CD. I can NOT get it to come up during the normal install process. And when I run it right off the CD, it says it is checking components for updates and all that. But the progress bar never moves. It just sits there for a few seconds, then tells me everything is installed and ready to go. But the most recent timestamp I have in DXDiag DX Files when its done is a single file dated 8/26/2005. It doesn't seem to be updating.

Is Firaxis still working on this?

Comment

Originally posted by JFJohnny5
            I am convinced there's something wrong with the DX installer on the CD. I can NOT get it to come up during the normal install process. And when I run it right off the CD, it says it is checking components for updates and all that. But the progress bar never moves. It just sits there for a few seconds, then tells me everything is installed and ready to go. But the most recent timestamp I have in DXDiag DX Files when its done is a single file dated 8/26/2005. It doesn't seem to be updating.

It won't update the files if it doesn't have to. The important thing is that you have the d3dx_26.dll in your System32 folder...

Comment

¿Does this game uses DX 9 instructions? Coz for example, in Day of Defeat Source, if you dont have a video card with hardware support for DX9, the performance is very poor, but if you tell the game to use lower DX version, such as 8.1, and you have a card that supports such version with hardware instructions, the game flies!
              Owww, I'm so cute! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by JFJohnny5
                No, I'm sure they've abandoned the game after the first day.

I mean, hell, they sold all their copies, right?

"I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

JFJohnny5:

Check the version numbers of the following components in dxdiag. I've listed all the components updated today on my system along with the version numbers.

Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll 9.07.0239.0000
                  Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.dll 9.05.0132.0000

Microsoft.DirectX.dll 5.04.0000.2904
                  Microsoft.DirectX.Diagnostics.dll 5.04.0000.2904
                  Microsoft.DirectX.AudioVideoPlayback.dll 5.04.0000.2904
                  Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound.dll 5.04.0000.2904
                  Microsoft.DirectX.DirectPlay.dll 5.04.0000.2904
                  Microsoft.DirectX.DirectInput.dll 5.04.0000.2904
                  Microsoft.DirectX.DirectDraw.dll 5.04.0000.2904

Comment

I find odd that you *must* install the Firaxian version of DX.
                    Owww, I'm so cute! ^_^

Comment

as with many others, the items suggested by the OP do not work for me. I've tried every method of uninstalling the original drivers before installing the new ones.

None of them makes any difference. The game still gives me the "failed to initialize renderer" message during startup.

One frustrating thing: the number of times the screen flickers before it finally gives up and spits out the "failed to initialize renderer" message is random.

sometimes the screen doesn't flicker at all, and just spits out the error immediately. sometimes it flickers multiple times before it spits out the error (looks like it's changing resolutions). Other times it flickers even more times and I even see a brief flash of some actual textures before the error appears.

the only thing that is consistent is that the error always eventually appears before the game really starts up.

no amount of uninstalling and reinstalling of drivers makes any difference.
                      In a minute there is time
                      For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.
                      - T. S. Eliot

Comment

Originally posted by GAZ082
                        I find odd that you *must* install the Firaxian version of DX.
                        i hope that is not really a requirement because I had directx 9.0c installed before purchasing this game, and every time I run the directx installer on the civ4 cd, nothing happens. It goes through the checks to see if anything needs to be updated but it doesn't actually update anything.
                        - T. S. Eliot

Comment

Originally posted by Trip

It won't update the files if it doesn't have to. The important thing is that you have the d3dx_26.dll in your System32 folder...
                          which I do, and always have had. it still "fails to initialize renderer"
                          - T. S. Eliot

Comment

I've been messing around with the CIV4 ini file.

You can have the startup ask if you want the game in fullscreen or windowed.

You can also hard code the resolution.

I've set the resolution to my LCD's native and run in windowed mode, it prevents the screen from resizing a bunch (which I like), but the game still will not run.

Excerpt from the log file:

[4720.421] ERR: Initialize Renderer failed - parameters:
                            - width = 1280
                            - height = 1024
                            - flags = 0x8
                            - hwnd = 0x1e018e
                            - adaptrid = 0
                            - deviceid = 1
                            [4720.421] DBG: Failed to Initialize Renderer - Check DirectX Version
                            I don't think that CIV4 uses a custom version of DX9, it may, however, use components of DX9 that Microshaft does not include in the DX9c install. To be perfectly honest, the DX installer didn't appear to do anything on my system, but the DX files have been updated today.

Comment

Same deal, got the newest drives as of today, have DX9.0c, Radeon 9600 XT, still failing to initialize the renderer.

Comment

Oh, this night is getting better and better.

I followed the instructions. After wiping off my previous drivers, I downloaded the new stuff.

I just got an error that says "setup was unable to find components that can be installed on my current hardware or software configuration. Please make sure you have the required hardware or software."

what hardware or software might that be? I have downloaded everything on the planet tonight.

Ginger

Comment

Working...
                                X