No announcement yet.

Possible Fixes for "Failed to Initialize Renderer" Startup Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The problem seems to be with the ATI driver. At first I had CATALYS Version 05.6 on my computer. Managed to(after some wild clicking with the left mouse button) run the tutorial. Started the regular game and after a few turns it crashed.
    So I went to the WEB help site and followed their suggestion to install the latest version of both DirectX from the disk and Version 05.10 of the driver. Now I am getting the "Failed to initialized Renderer" message and nothing works.
    Yes I have removed the old drivers first.
    Jancsi

Comment

• Originally posted by jadelith
      people are pissed off as it is jimmy (including me), no need to push them even more.
      The only people pushing are those acting like your typical internet generation of pimple faced kids. Enough is enough.

This happens ALL THE TIME with software. There are way to many hardware configurations to get every single one working at 100%, let alone tested.

For all we know, Sound Blaster sound cards are conflicting with something(wouldn't be the first time).

The game was just released yesterday. Many people have had their game up and running via suggestions from the dev team/posters here. This was on the first day of release.

Mine isn't working. I have sent all the information I can to the dev's. They are currently working on it.

This is not the first, nor will it be the last, game I have purchased that had problems out of the box. It is a fact of life when dealing with software. GET OVER IT.

Comment

• Hehe, out of the frying pan and into the fire. You went from one problem into the other.

Just a re-cap: There are basically 2 problems people are experiencing

First: some users see problems with video, or are seeing lots of black on either the mini-map or black squares in-game. An optional error seems that the main menu can be invisible to some players, but can actually get into games by wild clicking.

Second: The majority (or at least loudest ) of users cannot even get into the game. It will attempt to change resolutions a few times, but will crash to desktop with the error that it has failed to initialize renderer.

Comment

• Originally posted by jancsi
          The problem seems to be with the ATI driver. At first I had CATALYS Version 05.6 on my computer. Managed to(after some wild clicking with the left mouse button) run the tutorial. Started the regular game and after a few turns it crashed.
          So I went to the WEB help site and followed their suggestion to install the latest version of both DirectX from the disk and Version 05.10 of the driver. Now I am getting the "Failed to initialized Renderer" message and nothing works.
          Yes I have removed the old drivers first.
          Jancsi
          id agree if i didnt originally try to run the game under 5.8 first; when i got the error, i upgraded to 5.10; then it was back and forth from 5 - 5.10; no go.

Comment

• Originally posted by codechino

He was being quite mature, and had a valid point. It *is* their job to deliver a working product. There is absolutely no reason to coddle them and think that they're doing us a favor by fixing all of this. Same business principle that applies everywhere else. If I order a triple with cheese and get a double with no cheese, I'm going to walk back up to the counter and say "Fix this, you got it wrong." Its what I paid them for.
            He is far from being mature.

That is a fairly stupid analogy you used. You have come here and stated a problem(like many have). Yet, you are not allowing them to fix it, you moan and cry instead. Woudl you want 3 uncooked patties or woudl you want them to cook and prepair the burger first?

Fixing this doesn't involve snapping your fingers and it is done. It involves time isolating the problem, then working on a fix. Chirst, this should be common sense.

Comment

• Alright, I got it to work now.

Radeon 9600 pro
              catalyst 5.10
              DirectX 8.1?? ??

I've been fiddling with this allnight, and I managed to somehow make my directx version not being capable of update. It just failed every time I tried to update it.
              In my dxdiag it just said something like "Version: not found".
              But I popped in my winxp cd, and booted with it, and then I chose to repair my windows. When it's finished I checked my dxdiag and it says 8.1, and I try the game.. and it works! o_o

Comment

• Originally posted by JimmyTango

Christ, this should be common sense.
                Unfortunately, my dear, this is a commodity as valuable as coal, and as rare (when your civilization exists in a desert).

Ad

Comment

• Originally posted by lapse
                  Alright, I got it to work now.

Radeon 9600 pro
                  catalyst 5.10
                  DirectX 8.1?? ??

I've been fiddling with this allnight, and I managed to somehow make my directx version not being capable of update. It just failed every time I tried to update it.
                  In my dxdiag it just said something like "Version: not found".
                  But I popped in my winxp cd, and booted with it, and then I chose to repair my windows. When it's finished I checked my dxdiag and it says 8.1, and I try the game.. and it works! o_o
                  Thanks for the info, lapse. Others have had similiar luck with uninstalling directx. I'm going to try this tonight and see if I have any luck.

Comment

• You're welcome. The repair also goes a lot faster than reformatting the drive etc.
                    And I did not lose any of my own files.

I think people should try it.

I had the latest ati drivers installed before I used the repair. I just repaired and launched the game. But I have only played for a couple of minutes so far.

Comment

• I can't help but wonder, though, that if this was any other industry, things would not be going the same. On this forum, we all seem to be mature and, for the most part, patient with this massive problem, but let us not have our enthusiasm cloud our judgement. While we are all here bickering, we truly are recieving no new information- no indication that progress is being made. In the consumer market if you flat out release a product that doesn't work with a significant portion of the customer base, some type of immediate rectifiacation must be made. For example, if this were a dvd that didn't run on 10% (being generous I think) of dvd players that should run it fine, we would have no problem going back to the store and returning it, or at least mailing it in for a new one. However since half of us at least can't return Firaxis's product, they really dont have to run in circles to keep us informed on progress. This is when someone posts, "but the 3d games industry is different." Well in terms of marketing and product assurance, NO, its not. So, I'll just continue to stare at my $50.00 paper-weight, reading the forums, and watching people slowly getting more and more angry, while the devs wait to publicly say anything until they have a solution. Make no mistake, I have my fingers crossed just like the rest of you, but im also looking at the bigger picture.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimmyTango

He is far from being mature.

That is a fairly stupid analogy you used. You have come here and stated a problem(like many have). Yet, you are not allowing them to fix it, you moan and cry instead. Woudl you want 3 uncooked patties or woudl you want them to cook and prepair the burger first?

Fixing this doesn't involve snapping your fingers and it is done. It involves time isolating the problem, then working on a fix. Chirst, this should be common sense.
                        I would want my money back for those 3 uncooked patties, and would take my business else where. I do not have the desire to mess with my system settings in hopes that a video game will start working while fearing other games will stop working.

I am hoping they are working on a patch to remedy the ATI problems. If they are not, then I would like my money back due to faulty software.

Like I have stated previously, this is the first time I have ever had trouble actually running a game. Sure, I've had graphical problems in the past, but at least the game ran. When I bought the game, I was at least expecting the game to run in some fasion.

Does anyone know if there is a return policy directly to the company if they decide not to impliment a patch for the game? I will give them time, but if there is no planned fix(patch) then I will be looking for ways to get my 50 bucks back.

Comment

• Although I'm being patient here, I would feel just a bit better if Trip or someone else would at least drop a quick post along the lines of "Hey, we're still listening and still working on the problem."

Comment

• I'm sure they're planning/working on a fix and highly doubt they'd want or allow people to send back copies of the game. Everyone just needs to be patient - I'm sure it will be fixed soon. And yes, games should work when they're released, but sadly, it doesn't, so let's just wait until it does.

And why is everyone concerned about their $50? If you could get it back, wouldn't you just spend it again in a couple days when the patch is out? What's the point... I'm just getting frustrated at everyone whining - it doesn't help anyone fix anything.

ad

Comment

• The fix's being worked on.
                              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• Does being "worked on" mean they have found the problem and are crafting the fix, or they're still reading the forums like we all are and trying to discern the actual cause?

Comment

Working...
                                X