Possible Fixes for "Failed to Initialize Renderer" Startup Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TrashcanMan
    Gave the Advanced Settings (like AA and the other special features) a chance in the Disabled mode, Also disabled Catylist AI, and still got the same error at the exact same place.

Also tried disabling the Movies and Audio as suggested, still no go.

Now one thing I haven't tested yet but noticed. You cite Civilization4.ini above, but when I look in my folder, I find I have CivilizationIV.ini - a small difference but I thought I would point that out just incase no one else noticed. Could be just a typo on your part so who knows.
    Sorry - I meant CivilizationIV.ini.
    Did you try setting the D3D performance/quality slider to performance (on the 3D tab)?

Comment

Radeon 9600 w/ 256 meg here. I have d3dx9_26.dll in system32 folder.

turned on logging, turned off movies, and turned off sound in in ini. no success.

Comment

I am running the RADEON x700 and I can not get it to work either. I updated drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled direct x 9c and the game. Finally, attempted a full uninstall of my video card and reinstall and update to drivers and I still can not get it to work.

Comment

Originally posted by thamer

Sorry - I meant CivilizationIV.ini.
          Did you try setting the D3D performance/quality slider to performance (on the 3D tab)?
          Yeap, and tried a few places inbetween. No luck so far.

I'll keep plugging away trying different Combinations.

Also may try to get a fresh install of XP on another Athlon64 System here and see if it can play it with my x800Pro AGP Fresh install and what not....

My Main System right now is running an X800XL AGP and has just kept getting the same error no matter what I try.

Comment

Not to be rude - well, it's eight hours of working at this now - but when you've got to try to turn off the sound and the movies and jiggle a thousand ways with the graphics settings, I think at that point it's time to accept that there's something wrong with the program, and it needs a patch. If you were to get it to work after turning off movies and sound, it'd still be broken, wouldn't it?

And anyway, those steps don't work for me, either.

Comment

Originally posted by RickJay
              Not to be rude - well, it's eight hours of working at this now - but when you've got to try to turn off the sound and the movies and jiggle a thousand ways with the graphics settings, I think at that point it's time to accept that there's something wrong with the program, and it needs a patch. If you were to get it to work after turning off movies and sound, it'd still be broken, wouldn't it?
              Yes, but a patch requires days when a fix could get people playing now.

And besides, if they've never come across this bug before they have to find out exactly what it is before they can even begin to patch it. It's not like they can just make a patch for tomorrow, they have to figure this all out first.
              "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
              - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

movie/audio thing did *not* work for me either.

Ad

Comment

Originally posted by RickJay

And anyway, those steps don't work for me, either.

they can't patch it if they can't figure out whats wrong with it. thats why we're doing all of this.

Comment

, and it needs a patch.

They can't patch it, if they don't know going wrong for sure.
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

So sad. I Have the game but I'm also stuck with an 9550 ATI card!!! As with everyone else, it screws up during startup while rendering.

Perhaps it's for the best, I need to study......

"To live again, to be.........again" Captain Kirk in some Star Trek Episode. (The one with the bad guy named Henok)
                      "One day you may have to think for yourself and heaven help us all when that time comes" Some condescending jerk.

Comment

I can't study - I'm too busy sitting in this forum waiting for answers.

Ad

Comment

I was checking over on the GameSpot forums for Civ4 and came across a poster who said that the game worked for them, and they had a Radeon 9600. I politely asked them to drop a message here so that way we can know their specs.

Comment

Originally posted by adarel
                            I can't study - I'm too busy sitting in this forum waiting for answers.

Ad
                            As am I!!! Must log off....must log off....must fill brain with non-civilization information....
                            "To live again, to be.........again" Captain Kirk in some Star Trek Episode. (The one with the bad guy named Henok)
                            "One day you may have to think for yourself and heaven help us all when that time comes" Some condescending jerk.

Comment

x700 pro here - same issue, been tweaking everything I can think of and still no go :-(

this is of course, after uninstalling the old drivers (twice) and reinstalling 5.10

also, double checked the dx install by renaming the dll in question and resinstalling (it put a new one out there)

Any help foreseeable?

Comment

Originally posted by Simpleton

As am I!!! Must log off....must log off....must fill brain with non-civilization information....
                                Non-civilization information??? No!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X