No announcement yet.

Patch Lottery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's also not unlikely for a game company to have a Day 0 patch to fix minor bugs that they found after it went gold, this won't be anything major but is quit often done, just like the readme text documents address things that didn't make it in time for the print manual.

CS
    Global Admin/Owner
    Civilization Players Leagues
    www.civplayers.com
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/civplayers steam://friends/joinchat/103582791431089902

Comment

Originally posted by CanuckSoldier
      It's also not unlikely for a game company to have a Day 0 patch to fix minor bugs that they found after it went gold, this won't be anything major but is quit often done, just like the readme text documents address things that didn't make it in time for the print manual.

CS
      Well, they better get some duct tape and get to work.

Comment

[SIZE=1] In fact, I have a reason to be so optimistic. A lot of good (and bad ) players have been testing this game for the last two years. There are bugs, for sure. But in my opinion, they aren't major ones. Or, at least, not so obvious. We'll need time to find them, IF they exist.
        Given the catastrophic bugs with using any number of ATI cards that render the game unplayable for thousands of buyers, I think you'd have to agree this is not looking like one of the better predictions of 2005.

Comment

I'd say "Soon" to fix the graphics issues.

Stability and gameplay wise, I haven't seen anything amazingly "buggy", though I think it's weird that your civ can found every religion in the world.

Comment

There will almost certainly be some sort of hotfix for the ATI problems ASAP. That's the kind of thing that should be keeping the tech people up late fixing the problem.

Comment

Can I still get Oct 29 in the sweep? That's my prediction, but I'll be happy with anytime prior to Nov 3 (that's whent he game comes out here in Aus).

My ATI-laptop won't be able to run it without a patch...grrrr

Comment

Judging by all the problems being encountered with ATI cards, I'd say the first patch will be out within a week. They'll lose alot of potential customers otherwise, myself included. I have an ATI Radeon 9550 which seems to be one of the models most affected, so I won't be buying the game until I know the problems have been fixed.

Comment

This thing can HOTPATCH Itself

Friday AM, there will be a patch released. Weds Next week, a second patch will be released. I predict the second patch will add an option to turn on autopatching/updating, ala Valve and HL2.

Just my two cents.

Backpack
                  ---- "What gunpowder did for war, Blake has done for the AI" - Diadem ----

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio

It's not an expansion, it's just bug fixes

IIRC a game released a patch this size some time ago
                    Yeah. I want them to fix the bug of having only 18 civs, by adding 18 more.
                    The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
                    - Frank Herbert

Comment

Yeah, that's one of the worst bugs I've seen so far (of course I have only played the game for 20 minutes)
                      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Martinus

Yeah. I want them to fix the bug of having only 18 civs, by adding 18 more.
                        That is not a bug - it is a hardcoded game constraint. Either because of the move to 3D - or because they need a reason tp bring out an expansion pack in 2007.

Look 6 new civs etc.
                        "What if somebody gave a war and nobody came?" Allen Ginsberg

"Opinions are like arses, everyone has one." Anon

Comment

Originally posted by Harrier UK

That is not a bug - it is a hardcoded game constraint. Either because of the move to 3D - or because they need a reason tp bring out an expansion pack in 2007.

Look 6 new civs etc.
                          Totally for expansion pack purposes. And maybe this time they'll finally give us the Israelites!

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                            At the same time as the release of the SDK or Pitboss, that gives them an excuse not to mention several bugs that were fixed but not noticed.
                            "Nonono, this patch is because of Pitboss/SDK, not bugs!!!Noooo sirree!!!"
                            Showstopping bugs (ATI Card trouble = unbelieveble they didn't hit during beta ) will force immediate reaction (as soon as possible patch). Just a week or two to avoid sales hit.

For minor tuning I'm with your suggestion of SDK/Pittboss cover for game code "retouching".
                            "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                            - Admiral Naismith

Comment

ATI Card trouble = unbelieveble they didn't hit during beta

Again, they didn't, I wish they had.

btw, I wrote that post before we knew of the ATI troubles.
                              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                                ATI Card trouble = unbelieveble they didn't hit during beta

Again, they didn't, I wish they had.

btw, I wrote that post before we knew of the ATI troubles.
                                Sorry Alva, I was quoting you only for "link to the concept" feel.

I don't mean to criticize your opinion in any way.

BTW I see that now a workaround is posted on "Help" area, and I'm more reassured about quick reaction of Firaxis team and expert players.
                                "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                                - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Working...
                                X