Patch Lottery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patch Lottery

Okay, no prize but now that Civ4 is gold we should have a contest on the release date of the first patch.

Okay, lets see, based on past experience with Firaxis, I'd assume that they are already working on the first patch.

Seems that the release date is just a bit to pat. Two months before Christmas. Sounds like a marketing decision. That'll mean some nasty bugs are pretty much guaranteed to come in the box.

I'll expect a patch on November 22nd, which will get the guys out of the office for Thanksgiving.

Anyone else want to guess?

There's no doubt that there will probably be a patch for this game. I think I agree with your prediction. Sometime at or near Thanksgiving.
    signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Of course there will be a patch - it's impossible to release a bug-free game. Plus, if beta testers can play a thousand games, then the public can play ten thousand in the same timeframe, which gives a ten times larger chance to notice any obscure bugs.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I expect a patch around December 15th. Thanksgiving (can't you yanks talk in normal dates as the rest of the world does? ) seems way premature.

Comment

If the bugs are only obscure I will be very pleased.

Comment

I'm going to guess two weeks after it's release.

My money is on November 8th.
            ..there are known ‘knowns’ There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. ~~Donald Rumsfeld

Comment

Sorry Sir Ralph..."at or near the fourth thursday in November"
              signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Dizle
                If the bugs are only obscure I will be very pleased.
                It's this kind of understanding, considerate optimism that warms a Firaxian's heart.
                Friedrich Psitalon
                Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
                Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

It might depend on how critical of bugs they may find. If they find something critical I'm sure they will want to get a patch out asap. If there's only cosmetic type bugs it can wait until December

Comment

My money is on December 2nd.
                    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Next year.

Yeah, I'm optimistic.

Edited:

In fact, I have a reason to be so optimistic. A lot of good (and bad ) players have been testing this game for the last two years. There are bugs, for sure. But in my opinion, they aren't major ones. Or, at least, not so obvious. We'll need time to find them, IF they exist.
                      Last edited by Aro; October 20, 2005, 10:49.
                      RIAA sucks
                      The Optimistas
                      I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

I'd say the first patch will be March 2006.

Forever an optimist.
                        "What if somebody gave a war and nobody came?" Allen Ginsberg

"Opinions are like arses, everyone has one." Anon

Comment

At the same time as the release of the SDK or Pitboss, that gives them an excuse not to mention several bugs that were fixed but not noticed.
                          "Nonono, this patch is because of Pitboss/SDK, not bugs!!!Noooo sirree!!!"
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

January 5
                            A present for my birthday.
                            Join the Civ4 SPDG and save the world one library at a time.
                            Term 1 Minister of Finances in the Civ4 Democracy Game and current Justice in the Civ4 Democracy Game
                            President of the Moderate Progressives of Apolyton in the Civ4 Democracy Game Aedificium edificium est Vires

Comment

The more interesting question is WHAT will the first patch address?

My top three guesses:

1) Worker AI routines (revolving around what happens when you automate the lil' guys)

2) Save/Reload file corruption

3) "Multiplayer game drop/connection issues"

Comment

Working...
                              X