No announcement yet.

Apolyton Civ4 PREVIEW (By Solver) - Part 2 online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In a hoarse, aggressive voice he screamed "Sid" two-three times...

Comment

• He'll scream "Atahualpa" in pain, if he doesn't get up to put part 3 online soon!!
      I need my dose!!

Comment

• /me shots Atahualpa...

Mind you, it's an act of mercy.
        He who knows others is wise.
        He who knows himself is enlightened.
        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• So what happens if you found or capture a city that you truly cannot afford. No matter what, you have negative income with no reserve. Do you have to sell improvements? Or can you borrow from an AI at huge interest or what?

Comment

• No money with negative GPT = losing units.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• Originally posted by Fosse
              Not entirely. Each city will have two maintenance factors: distance from capitol and number of total cities.

The number of cities factor seems to be tiered, such that having, for example, 1-5 cities will cost 5 gold each per turn, then having 6-10 cities will cost 7 gold per turn. In each case, the capitol distance amount would be added to that number for each city.

So while two cities built the same turn at different distances to your palace will likely have different costs, those costs will be predictable and will make sense.

Where did you read about the tiered approach for city maintanance? I missed that.

I thought the increase was on a city by city basis. Something along these lines:

Total city maintenance cost = Base city cost * number of cities * number of cities + cost based on distance from Capitol + running total distance cost).

So with a base cost = 2.

Total for 1 City = 2 * 1 * 1 + ( 0 + 0) = 2
              Total for 2 Cities = 2 * 2 * 2 + (3 + 0) = 11
              Total for 3 Cities = 2 * 3 * 3 + (4 + 3) = 23
              Total for 4 Cities = 2 * 4 * 4 + (4 + 7) = 43
              '
              '
              Total for 10 Cities = 2 * 10 * 10 + (20 + 100) = 320
              '
              '
              Total for 20 Cities = 2 * 20 * 20 + (45 + 220) = 1065
              '
              etc etc.

As I do not know how the cost for distance from palace is calculated I just guessed some values.

Obviously a tierred system would reduce the costs considerably.
              "What if somebody gave a war and nobody came?" Allen Ginsberg

"Opinions are like arses, everyone has one." Anon

Comment

• The tiers could each be one city...

It may be city by city, but I took from Solver's first preview that it was closer to how I described. Anyhow, I'm happy knowing the general principle right now, and content to learn the exact mechanics next week.

Comment

Working...
                X