The Solver preview requests thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Solver preview requests thread

I've created this thread because I wanted to ask Solver a few things ( in anticipation of his upcoming preview ) , and I know that others , too must be having some questions . Whether he will answer them or not will be revealed only when he posts his preview ( or if he replies to this thread ) , but at least we can ask ( or , looking to our addiction , cravenly beg ) .

Let me begin with :

1) How many movement points does a normal worker have ?
    2) What does "fast" mean WRT the Indian UU ?

More information on modding!!!!!! Especially any details like file formats and the modding support within Civ4.

Comment

Yep, Solver is one of those Civ Legends-whose opinions on these games I have always taken VERY SERIOUSLY! Can't wait to see his take on the game. My key questions would be:

1) How well does the 10MP railroad actually work-i.e. does it seem well balanced.

2) Is ICS well and truly 'dead and buried'-if so, how has it been achieved?

3) Related to (2)-how does population growth work, and how do workers, settlers and other units fit into the population growth system?

I thank you in advance Solver !

Yours,
      Aussie_Lurker.

Comment

Solver's article has long since been written and has gotten the Firaxis PR seal of approval (though it's not yet in 'web-format' so it'll be a few days before it's available), there's no chance in hell requests can be incorporated. A MarkG supplement OTOH might be an option (though I don't think Markos discussed that with Firaxis yet)...
        Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Damn ! Too bad .

Anyway - this thread can now be used to answer the detailed questions of those who won't get the game until a few months after it is released ( like me , living as I do in India ) , after the game is released .

Comment

oh, but will it be posted here before this Saturday?...

Comment

Saturday? That's too long to wait! Give it to us now!!!

Comment

I'm not in charge of this so I don't know the exact planning but Solver's preview will be posted in several installments spread out over the next 7-10 days or so (the first one probably before the end of the week, yes).
                Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                  Solver's article has long since been written and has gotten the Firaxis PR seal of approval (though it's not yet in 'web-format' so it'll be a few days before it's available), there's no chance in hell requests can be incorporated. A MarkG supplement OTOH might be an option (though I don't think Markos discussed that with Firaxis yet)...
                  Yes it's a long an drawn out process to get the Marketing people to approve a specific article, so changing it and re-seeking approval is not recommended

CS
                  Global Admin/Owner
                  Civilization Players Leagues
                  www.civplayers.com
                  http://steamcommunity.com/groups/civplayers steam://friends/joinchat/103582791431089902

Comment

Which makes me wondering: what is all the fuss about ? I mean: now.
                    Sure, there's a NDA, and you don't want people to publicly rubbish an alpha version 1 year from release or to leak out revolutionary genre-features only to see them in another product that comes out earlier.
                    It's less than 2 weeks now. Most betas I know and been in have lifted NDA fairly early prior to release. (And it didn't hurt sales although the games sucked and all testers were saying so but the nerd buyers didn't want to believe. But that is another story.)
                    Yes, it is their product, they can do whatever they want. Probably even controlling the press. And some may think it is better to read censored previews than none at all.
                    In 2 weeks, we will know. We will read. We will see. We will hear. The civ nerds will have gotten their pre-order edition anyway. The casual players will be scared by bad reviews into never buying it despite all proganda and efforts to "hide the truth". Bad products will always be bad products. And hopefully not sell.

Annotation: I am not saying cIV is bad. In the contrary, I have very high hopes - and pre-ordered it. Just thinking....

Comment

Originally posted by MeaCulpa
                      Which makes me wondering: what is all the fuss about ? I mean: now.
                      Two words: teh suspense.
                      He who knows others is wise.
                      He who knows himself is enlightened.
                      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

There is indeed no chance of me including anything else in the preview. It has been finalized last week, and it contains what it does. I am also still under a NDA, so I can't answer everything thoroughly. Some bits:

1) How many movement points does a normal worker have ?
                        2) What does "fast" mean WRT the Indian UU ?

The Indian UU moves faster, not works faster.

More information on modding!!!!!! Especially any details like file formats and the modding support within Civ4.

Sorry, can't reveal anything more than what is public. However, the modding support is indeed great as advertised. Playing around with the XML files that contain the settings is alone quite some potential, and then there's Python.... Although the SDK will be released later, a LOT can be done without it, too.

1) How well does the 10MP railroad actually work-i.e. does it seem well balanced.

2) Is ICS well and truly 'dead and buried'-if so, how has it been achieved?

3) Related to (2)-how does population growth work, and how do workers, settlers and other units fit into the population growth system?

1) Well, that is certainly more balanced than infinite railroads! For an empire that has a large territory, it's impossible to be ready to instantly respond to an attack in the west if all forces are in the east.

2 and 3 are covered in my article.
                        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                          There is indeed no chance of me including anything else in the preview. It has been finalized last week, and it contains what it does. I am also still under a NDA, so I can't answer everything thoroughly. (snip)
                          Solver thanks for your (and MarkG's, BTW) info, in this thread and coming preview.

Of course you know we are also secretly insulting both of you, for your opportunity to play the game in advance...
                          "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                          - Admiral Naismith

Comment

The best part isn't getting to play the game in advance... the best part is being able to contribute something useful to its development.
                            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

The Indian UU moves faster, not works faster.
                              I knew it!

*dances in the streets*
                              The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
                              - Frank Herbert

Comment

Working...
                              X