New information from Gamestar.de preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New information from Gamestar.de preview

Browsing the november edition of the German gamestar magazine, I found a Civilization 4 preview that contains some information that may be new (at least it was for me, but I'm getting old and forgetful):
    • Revolts due to foreign cultural influence last a few turns and can be suppressed by sending in the military. If your response is not sufficient, the city will flip eventually.
    • A single unit may be promoted up to 20 times, and promotion benefits carry over if the unit is upgraded.
    • Golden ages last 8 turns.
    • Hamlets (which are described as tile improvements like farms, although they may simply represent worked tiles on the map) will develop into villages and hereby increase your cash income. (The preview is a bit vague here.)

All things considered, the reviewer is quite enthusiastic about Civ4's gameplay and states that it has the chance to displace Civ2 as his personal favourite of the civ franchise.
    "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Re: New information from Gamestar.de preview

Originally posted by lockstep
    Browsing the november edition of the German gamestar magazine, I found a Civilization 4 preview that contains some information that may be new (at least it was for me, but I'm getting old and forgetful):[*]Revolts due to foreign cultural influence last a few turns and can be suppressed by sending in the military. If your response is not sufficient, the city will flip eventually.
    So, flipping is in again now?

[*]A single unit may be promoted up to 20 times, and promotion benefits carry over if the unit is upgraded.

[*]Golden ages last 8 turns.

So short? Hopefully there's a reason for that...

][*]Hamlets (which are described as tile improvements like farms, although they may simply represent worked tiles on the map) will develop into villages and hereby increase your cash income. (The preview is a bit vague here.)
    Villages in, that's another point to the List. I think we had it in the last one, and at least we had it in the old one.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Re: New information from Gamestar.de preview

• Revolts due to foreign cultural influence last a few turns and can be suppressed by sending in the military. If your response is not sufficient, the city will flip eventually.

• Hamlets (which are described as tile improvements like farms, although they may simply represent worked tiles on the map) will develop into villages and hereby increase your cash income. (The preview is a bit vague here.)
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

So, culture swapping is still in, but now you can prevent it. That sounds good! I always like culture-swapping, though it's good if you can mange it a little bit more.

@Nikolai: The golden ages dure shorter because you can have more golden ages then one.
        Formerly known as "CyberShy"
        Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

I see. I hope it's dependent on what kind of game you're playing though. Like if you play an Epic game, with more turns on same amount of time, you'll get longer GAs.
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

Culture flipping sounds good. You get a revolt-warning for it, you can try and prevent it, and I do not doubt it that there is anyway an option to turn that off.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Re: Re: New information from Gamestar.de preview

Originally posted by Nikolai

Probably to compensate for the ability to have more than one GA per game.

Glad to hear unit promos carryover when upgraded. And I like the new implementation of flipping - sense a Prague Spring coming on? Send in the troops!
              "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
              "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
              "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Re: Re: New information from Gamestar.de preview

As posted above, partly because there can be more than one. In addition, a 20 turn Golden Age might be too powerful in comparison to the other things you can use Great People for, resulting in players only using them for GAs.

I see. I hope it's dependent on what kind of game you're playing though. Like if you play an Epic game, with more turns on same amount of time, you'll get longer GAs.
                In an Epic game, you'll probably have more Great People.

Comment

Using the military to crush a revolt in a democracy?

Comment

dont mean to go OT but bush used the military to crush a flood
                    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower
                      Using the military to crush a revolt in a democracy?
                      in a democracy, protests usually get crushed by "police forces". does that make a difference?

Comment

No.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: New information from Gamestar.de preview

Originally posted by sophist
                          In an Epic game, you'll probably have more Great People.
                          Good point.

Comment

It makes sense that Golden Ages are shorter since civs can have several GAs. In fact, 20 turn GAs would be unbalancing especially with civs that get the Great People bonus. Having 2 or 3 20 turn GAs in a game would give you a huge advantage.
                            'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                            G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

I get it, I get it.

Comment

Working...
                              X