Apolyton University: Expanding It's Roots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fried-Psitalon
    You guys don't mind guest lecturers from time to time, do ya?
    Welcome back F-P.

Comment

Could anyone translate "Learn, Build, Conquer" into Latin please?

Comment

erm...
        perceptum constructum victum

thats my best try. i sux at it
        is there any well greased latin speakers on here?
        if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Nuclear
          May I ask why? Was there something about the AU Mod that you didn't like?
          Same reason I didn't regularly use ANY mod. Most my PBEM's, demogames, etc were with STOCK rules. Just doesn't make sense to play allot of time on mods when most your competition will be with stock rules.
          One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
          You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Perceptum , Constructum , Victum is right...so say the on-line translators anyway...
            I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

you need a fourth word, civ is 4X
              Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
              Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
              giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
                Same reason I didn't regularly use ANY mod. Most my PBEM's, demogames, etc were with STOCK rules. Just doesn't make sense to play allot of time on mods when most your competition will be with stock rules.
                Soon all Civ IV 'Poly PBEMs will use the AU Mod.

Comment

Soon all Civ IV 'Poly PBEMs will use the AU Mod.
                  Doubtfull
                  *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

With a spirit like that, you're probably right.

If we introduce more people to the AU, start off early, host the Apolyton Civ IV AI project, then I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of 'Poly PBEMs will be using the AU Mod.

Comment

Thats not really my point LN, most people who do PBEM's/ Demo games just want to use the normal game. And once you get into the Intersite Demogame world its a given.

Nothing the matter with the AU mod, I like and I have used it, its just that when I want to work on my game skills for some kind of "more than one human game" game, I prefer to use the stock rules because thats what 99% of the rest of the "more than one human gamers" use.
                      *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

My point is that I think using the AU Mod will soon be the norm for PBEMs.

Comment

Well that would be a good thing but Im not going to hold my breath.

AU Mod for CIV III was a very good thing, but it didn't catch on in the main stream.

What happens with CIV IV remains to be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Cataphract887
                            erm...
                            perceptum constructum victum

thats my best try. i sux at it
                            is there any well greased latin speakers on here?
                            my latin lessons were a very long time ago, but the -'um' ending is iirc not a verb form.
                            also, "percepere" is more "to perceive".

the better translation would be "discere, errigere, expunare"
                            alternative: "discere, edificare, expunare"

cheers!
                            - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                            - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

most AUmod changes were made to improve the AI, which is irrelevant in most PBEMs. a few other balancing things (ancient cavalry, etc) is usually not enough to start a MP game with a mod.
                              - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                              - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

It is not going to happen, at least as long as the main AU mod remains what it has been in Civ3 until now: A mod to address and at least partly alleviate the shortcomings of the AI. In most PBEMs, however, the AI does not play much of a role, even more, many players outright deny to play PBEMs with AI civilizations involved. There has been a modification of the AU mod (the multiplayer AU mod) suitable for PBEM games, but it didn't get as much attention and maintenance as the singleplayer mod by a long shot; it mainly served as base for the multiplayer AU courses.

Another aspect is, that in most of PBEMs the thematic and fun elements by far outweigh the elements of balancing and maintaining difficulty (i.e. the domains of the AU mod). Many PBEMs I know are/were played with mods narrowly tailored around one specific PBEM. These special mods undoubtly contain portions of the AU mod, as well as other mods, but their main parts remain game specific. As example may serve the Tarzan PBEM mod, which was made for only one game and has heavy settlement and tile improvement restrictions and a heavily modified corruption part.

Last but not least remains the fact, that the modability of Civ4 will be far bigger and more powerful than the modability of Civ3, and Apolyton as well as other sites do not lack bright minds able to make great mods. This will result in a much bigger variety of mods, and AU will be hard pressed to maintain its position as primus inter pares. If Civ4 does not disappoint (and I don't think it will), it may sway great modders like hexagonian and Dale from CtP2 to Civ4, and knowing their dedication for CtP2 and their mods now, I'm sure they'll be able to do unbelievable things with Civ4. AU would be wise to lure them into its ranks, even though I'd prefer to see more fun oriented mods from them.

So unless the next AU mod is much more directed and balanced towards multiplayer games (which hardly will happen), the very best you can hope for is it serving as base for game specific mods.

EDIT: sabre beat me by 4 minutes with basically the same opinion.

EDIT2: Oh, and he's also right with the -ere vs -um part.
                                Last edited by Harovan; September 26, 2005, 04:01.

Comment

Working...
                                X