Apolyton University: Expanding It's Roots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apolyton University: Expanding It's Roots

Apolyton University will be moving to Civilization IV upon its release in the next few months. While AU courses may still be released for Civilization III, the major focus will be on CivIV.

The Apolyton University is a school of strategy, where students sharpen their Civilization skills and share their experiences in a series of thematic games. When playing an Apolyton University game, gaining and sharing knowledge is more important than getting a high score, or even winning the game. Participants are encouraged to share their strategy after the game, and even to try several attempts. In summary, the course (scenario) is released, people play them, and then post their During Action Reports, which are play-by-plays of their game.

The AU Mod in Civilization III was focused on minor rule adjustments to make a more challenging and balanced game, while changing as little as possible from the stock game. The new mod, will be taking advantage of the AI SDK and Python-editor that will be released with CivIV. also take advantage of the AI SDK that will be available in IV and will ultimately include a new AI specifically designed to use strategies developed by AU testers under the stock or slightly tweaked rules. The Apolyton University is the best institution to hold the Apolyton AI project.

The Apolyton University forum can be found here:

--Lord Nuclear
    Apolyton University Dean

I have some interesting ideas that I can't wait to show you guys. Also, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me, or post in the thread.

Comment

I've never tried this university thing. Is it like some MP game where one learn together with other players live, or is it more like written lections?
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Do we need to make exercises?
        Do we get punished if we speak in class?
        Are there courses on Python or AI programming?

Comment

Well done Nuc

Nik, some good things will surely be coming your way
          Gurka 17, People of the Valley
          I am of the Horde.

Comment

Btw, the thread title contains an error. It's "its" instead of "it's"

Comment

Are you sure about that?
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
                Are you sure about that?
                He's right. It's is used as a contraction for it is. When expressing possession, the proper use is its without the apostrophe.

But anyway – it’s (as in “it is” ) good to see AU alive and well. I'm sure I'll be checking in to see what the inevitable AU mod for Civ 4 looks like.
                "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Nuclear
                  I have some interesting ideas that I can't wait to show you guys. Also, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me, or post in the thread.
                  Thanks for the offer. I've never tried your courses with Civ III, but I'm very tempted to give it a try with Civ IV version.
                  Of course, my doubt is not about your great effort and overall quality, but only about my very reduced spare time.

Considering your previus experience, can you tell to us if you are planning lesson based on long or short games?
                  Are they on small or large maps, how many civs, world condition, etc.
                  Is it the game supposed to be played from early start (4000bc - 1 settler) to natural victory (and wich victory condition is allowed)?

Thank you in advance.
                  "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                  - Admiral Naismith

Comment

AU it's a good thing

I have taken my play level/understanding up a notch or two

expect the unexpected
                    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

I liked the AU mod a lot, but my guess is the new mod will take some time to set up, as it is a completely new game with new inconsistencies - we will have to play it a lot to come up with new things that need adjusting and fine-tuning
                      "Give me a soft, green mushroom and I'll rule the world!" - TheArgh
                      "No battle plan ever survives contact with the enemy." - Murphy's law
                      Anthéa, 5800 pixel wide extravaganza (french)

Comment

i didnt like the civ3 AU because its changes were to slow and to small. i know thats not the objective of the mod,but i did more edits to my own civ3 in the first day than all the edits of AU combined. so i just incorperated any good ideas instead of using the mod itself

although i never did get into actually playing civ3. waiting to see what cIV is,i might play it.maybe
                        if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
                            I've never tried this university thing. Is it like some MP game where one learn together with other players live, or is it more like written lections?
                            Its a bunch of written lectures followed by pop quizes.

If you fail a quiz, Ming automatically bans you
                            *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

you must have dropped out a long time ago then con since you're still able to post

Comment

Working...
                              X