Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will you read the manual before playing your first game of civ4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adm.Naismith

Lo traduco come "un sacrificio (alle divinità)", anche se c'è un errore ortografico nell'originale inglese. Ciao
    Traduttore, Traditore...
    RIAA sucks
    The Optimistas
    I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
      Pirate(s!) scum...

nah, if it's good, I'll buy this game...

I got duped into buying Civ3... PTW... and conquests...

must be more careful
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
        chances are, I won't have a manual

I have no problem with you stealing Madden2005, as those guys are making millions. But you need to support TBS game makers. The TBS genre is almost dead. we need Civ4 to be a success.

You didn't like Conquests? I can understand if you didn't like the scenarios. As that was most of the game. The scenarios aren't bad if you try them.

Comment

Conquest made Civ3 much, much better. Unfortunately, the CD won't work on my new computer, and only one of the two drives on my computer home. But for the next 10 months, I'm on the opposite side of the country attending school, so I must either play other games or download the game. Which I think is okay since I after all own the game. But right now I first need a new harddrive...
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
            I have no problem with you stealing Madden2005, as those guys are making millions. But you need to support TBS game makers. The TBS genre is almost dead. we need Civ4 to be a success.
            I will support it if it's good. Why should I support a bad game?

It's not really stealing. It's like checking something out from the library. Try before you buy. I do the same thing with all my games. I bought Battlefield2 after playing a downloaded copy.
            You didn't like Conquests? I can understand if you didn't like the scenarios. As that was most of the game. The scenarios aren't bad if you try them.
            Civ3 was awful... and the expansions were minimal improvements... but in the end, too little too late.

Civ4 is looking good though.

I'm optimistic.

Nikolai: if you still have your old PC that Conquests works on, get a prog like alcohol 120%, make an image... copy it to your new PC, download daemon's tools (virtual cd emulator), mount the image and run it. (NOTE TO MODS... NIKOLAI OWNS THIS COPY THIS IS NOT IN ANY WAY A GUIDE TO PIRATE ANYTHING, PIRACY IS WRONG AND IT MAKES BABY JESUS CRY)
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Sava: I do have the PC, but it's on the other side of Norway... My new school is a long way from home, so I won't have any chance to get an image before October probably, and then it's pretty late since I probably won't en njoy it much right in the middle of the Civ4 hype... But thanks for the tips.
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Anyway, what did Conquests add that improved the game a lot? I must admit I stopped actively playing Civ3 after PTW, and didn't get to really play Conquests. From what I've heard, though, it does not fix the main problems with Civ3, which, for me, were:

Tech-whoring.
                Worker diarrhea. GOT TO have tons of them, and got to move them all around.
                Idiotic pollution model, which would only sometimes create fallout you'd clean in within 2 turns max.
                Navies not being useful.
                Worst of all... the ability to bombard all defenders down to 1 HP with Artillery, and then taking the city, thus conquering civs with practically no losses.
                Bribeable AIs. You could buy any friends you wanted, could get them to do your fights for you. Just gift them their map each turn.
                The combat system was still too random, and essentially you could do conquesting by only having a ton of one unit type - if you didn't want to do the artillery exploit.
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                  I will support Firaxis (unless Civ4 really really really sucks) by buying the game, but as usual I wont wait for the release to get the game. Usually games takes a long time to get down here, and I'm not interested in waiting for that
                  But I will buy the game when it finally gets here, but I doubt I ever will put the original CDs in the drive
                  This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Ill read a downloadable copy of the manual
                    *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Brazil has a huge legion of fans, but I don't know when the game arrives... Last time, was a big problem manage to buy Conquests... A great friend from Apolyton had to buy it for me
                      I'll buy the game (as usual, I'll buy three copies - one for my son, one for my home and one for my studio).

but I don't want to wait!!!

By any means
                      RIAA sucks
                      The Optimistas
                      I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                        ... From what I've heard, though, it does not fix the main problems with Civ3, which, for me, were:

Tech-whoring.
                        Worker diarrhea. GOT TO have tons of them, and got to move them all around.
                        Idiotic pollution model, which would only sometimes create fallout you'd clean in within 2 turns max.
                        Navies not being useful.
                        Worst of all... the ability to bombard all defenders down to 1 HP with Artillery, and then taking the city, thus conquering civs with practically no losses.
                        Bribeable AIs. You could buy any friends you wanted, could get them to do your fights for you. Just gift them their map each turn.
                        The combat system was still too random, and essentially you could do conquesting by only having a ton of - if you didn't want to do the artillery exploit.
                        You have to be picky about what tools you use to enjoy a game. For me the Editor was one of those tools. After a time I used Rhye's of Civ mod, and then modded that.

Tech-whoring: Change the AI-to-AI tech rate.
                        Worker diarrhea: They don't cost enough (and neither do settlers).
                        Artillery: I ended up developing a mod which had NO artillery in it. Otherwise VERY rarely had close to 10 arty in a stack. Usually limited myself to 3 or 4.
                        Conquest by one unit type: Don't think I ever did that; didn't feel right. Almost always mixed offensive & defensive units together.

I have always enjoyed civ as a RPG. Could never just play the game as a pure game and utilize all exploits available; as such I might "win" but I would not be satisfied with it. Then again, I have NEVER played beyond Monarch level.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemmy
                          Where's the option "I wont have the manual yet when i play my first Civ4 game"?
                          if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

It depends on whether I have to work the day after I buy the game. If so, I will have to restrain myself from installing the game immediately, because if I would ... well, I don't think I need to explain this. Reading the manual is about the only substitute that could possibly work. By contrast, if I don't have to work the next morning, the urge to start playing will probably be irresistible. In any event, I'm certain that I will read the manual in its entirety before I start the second game.

By the way, I do hope that the writers will put in some extra stuff again. All the manuals of original Sid Meier games contained background chapters that not only help you to get in the proper mood, but also conveyed something of the enthusiasm of the designers for the topic they had chosen. The condensed descriptons of the 17th century Carribean, of railroad history, the colonization of America, the battle of Gettysburg and the "new sun" Alpha Centauri made it that much easier to immerse yourself in the game world. I unterstand that it is more difficult to provide a "background" for Civilization because the game spans all of human history, and I don't want a return of Durant's theory on the driving forces of history from the original manual (for other reasons still the best in the series, in my opinion). However, given the academic attention the game has received, I'm sure they can find some historian who loves the game, is capable of using plain language and can come up with four pages about the dynamics of history in general.

Now, I'm almost certain that I'll be disappointed here because the background chapter is always dropped in sequel manuals (see Civilization II, Pirates! and (shudder) Railroad Tycoon II). After all, they need some space for the "changes" section which is of more practical importance. Still, one of the great aspects of Civilization is that it can get you thinking about history in general and it's not necessarily a bad idea to let the player know that.

Comment

Originally posted by Verrucosus
                              Still, one of the great aspects of Civilization is that it can get you thinking about history in general and it's not necessarily a bad idea to let the player know that.
                              Good point. Of course a game manual can't be a substitute of a proper history book, but an introduction to the main concept could be worth the whole game (kind of "cultural expansion" in real life).

May be adding links between Civilopedia items and Wikipedia would be great. Think about the press: first game linked to cultural shared effort on the net!
                              "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                              - Admiral Naismith

Comment

I know I'll read the manual while installing, and maybe a bit on religion to know how to get started with that. Then I'll start playing, and read the civilopedia. If there is something I don't understand, I'll try to see If I can find anything in the manual.

I like the Civ manuals as they are more than just 'Here you have this screen and these buttons. Klicking on that button does this', there is a lot of background info in there (normally) - I know that the manual for Civ2 combined with the Civilopedia gave me a lot of background knowledge that actually helped me in geography and history lessons at school.

I look foward to reading the manual to get into the feel of the game, as many others already mentioned.
                                "Give me a soft, green mushroom and I'll rule the world!" - TheArgh
                                "No battle plan ever survives contact with the enemy." - Murphy's law
                                Anthéa, 5800 pixel wide extravaganza (french)

Comment

Working...
                                X