Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will you read the manual before playing your first game of civ4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't chose any of those because what I will do is:
    1) skim through it during installation, starting from the back! It is important to start there to see if they supply useful tables.
    2) DEPENDING on my impression I will either read the manual later and use those tables to make my strategies or not. But only after I play the game.

From another side, since the last option "eat it along with the box" is mostly for yin, it would be nice to have "eat it along with the banana" option as well
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
    certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
    -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

I may glance at the "what's new" section during install, but other than that i like to play without first. just to see if i horribly suck without the instructions.

Comment

Never read any manual. Haven't eaten any either.
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
        2004 Presidential Candidate
        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Where's the option "I wont have the manual yet when i play my first Civ4 game"?
          <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
          Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

BAN HIM!

He who knows others is wise.
            He who knows himself is enlightened.
            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I'll read some of it to get new concepts, then play, then read Civ4 General, then play some more, and then finish it.
              SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

I'll read some of the manual on the bus home, then a little while I install the game, then I'll play and probably come back to it later.
                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemmy
                  Where's the option "I wont have the manual yet when i play my first Civ4 game"?
                  I'm missing that option too

For the first time in many years I have actually opened a manual for a game... it wasn't any use though, at the time I finally bought the game (stupid delay before games gets to DK) I had already finished the game, so a manual was useless
                  This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

evil bootleggers!

Comment

Its tradition for me to read the manuals. I enjoy them, especially when the publisher and devs actually put some effort into it. Of course, many games come with built in training modes or scenarios, so the days of the "Grande Manual" are all but spent.

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower
                        Burn it for firewood as I'm going to buy, then read the strat guide first before ever playing the game.
                        Since when are you going to play a Civ game beyond Civ 2?????
                        *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Originally posted by Anun Ik Oba
                          Its tradition for me to read the manuals. I enjoy them, especially when the publisher and devs actually put some effort into it. Of course, many games come with built in training modes or scenarios, so the days of the "Grande Manual" are all but spent.
                          I like the manuals for rpg's. Especially when they put some humour into them such as the fallout games or baldur's gate series with the comments they put in boxes.

Comment

Most likely, I'll never open the manual.
                            -Darkstar
                            (Knight Errant Of Spam)

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                              I will read the manual while playing, as soon as I can't understand something.

After a few games, I'll read the whole manual. It's a nice change of pace

Comment

Don't think I would have gotten anything out of the MOO3 manual unless I rolled it up and smoked it.
                                "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                                2004 Presidential Candidate
                                2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Working...
                                X