Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will you read the manual before playing your first game of civ4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will you read the manual before playing your first game of civ4?

I'm a big fan of game manuals. Anyone remember Civ2's monster manual? And even that didn't cover many advanced concepts.

It's possible they haven't made the manual for civ4 yet. But they may have. They usually do those early so they can get all the copies printed. That's why they release the readme to cover last minute stuff. But I'm hoping they take notice that we Civ players like our manuals.

But then again, I'm looking forward to this game a lot, I'll be itching to play. I'll probably do as I always do. Read about half the manual, then play my first game. And read the rest later.
    I'll read the entire thing before playing my first game
    21.85%
    I'll read some of it to get important concepts then play- finish it later
    31.09%
    I'll read through to get important concepts- then never read it again
    1.68%
    I'll skim through it real fast- I'll reread it later
    25.21%
    I'll skim through it real fast- I won't read it again
    4.20%
    I won't read it at all
    7.56%
    I'll burn it for firewood
    2.52%
    I'll sell it on ebay
    2.52%
    I'll eat it along with the box ;)
    3.36%

Wonder if the 'manual' will purely be ingame.
    He who knows others is wise.
    He who knows himself is enlightened.
    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Play first, read later.

It's Civ, and you're a polytubby, do you really need a manual?
      <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
      Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Originally posted by Lemmy
        Play first, read later.

It's Civ, and you're a polytubby, do you really need a manual?
        not really, but it's nice to have.

Comment

I will read the entire manual, place it on my desk, then fire up the game.
          "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

I will read the manual while playing, as soon as I can't understand something.

After a few games, I'll read the whole manual. It's a nice change of pace
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I hate the manuel! I want it to be purely in-game. I like to have easy saccess to wahtever i need to know. i don't really want a paper edition because I can't find anything fast enough to finish my first game in a couple of days and try to develop a strategy about how to play the game.
              "To watch your eniemies die in glorious color and sourround sound is surely one of the greatest advantages of technology." - Eoin Colfer
              "You get more flies with a dead body than with honey." - Joshua Wade

Comment

Reading the manual is one aspect of the enjoying ritual!
                Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Burn it for firewood as I'm going to buy, then read the strat guide first before ever playing the game.

Comment

buying strat guides.

why do that when you have Apolyton?

The only one I would consider buying is the one made by one of our own posters Veloc... however you spell his name. But I never bought that either, I just obtained an older version of his guide on a website.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
                      Reading the manual is one aspect of the enjoying ritual!

Comment

C'mon, is not good statistic to add a choice only available for our friend Yin26...
                        "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                        - Admiral Naismith

Comment

I will probably purchase Civ4 at EB Games about 5 miles from home, before or after work. I will then go to a coffee shop, inspect the box contents, and read the whole bleepin' manual then and there (unless I have to finish reading it at the office). I hope the manual has some substance to it ... and not too many bloopers.

Might then spend some time at Poly to see what others' discoveries are; but most postings will be flames re something they don't understand or making mountains out of molehills (to ants, molehills may be mountains).

Then, when I have a few hours I'll rev up the game, enjoying the surprises and learning experience.

I BETTER enjoy it, 'cause it's going to cost me the price of a new game machine to play it!

Comment

I will ask for a ride to a fairly far mall, I´ll buy civ4 and read the manual while someone else is driving the car
                            I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Read while installing. Set down on table to use as a coaster for the rest of time (or until I have to clean my computer station).
                              Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                              1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Working...
                              X