• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have You tried Civ2?
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

Comment

Because I'm addicted. It's sad, but true.
      RIAA sucks
      The Optimistas
      I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

All the above listed reasons.

Civ1 civilopedia was the best.
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson
          Today, after 8 years of playing, civ is simply part of my life, part of my own identity. I don't have to like it - it is and will be.
          thats sort of how i feel about it.
          "If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun." -Katherine Hepburn

Comment

I have no idea, but I am addicted to the point of playing it for hours on end. And I often wonder what the F am I doing. But still I play.
            Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai

And I often wonder what the F am I doing. But still I play.

proud member of the club
              anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Same here.
                RIAA sucks
                The Optimistas
                I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

kind of silly pushing numbers on a number pad moving silly little sprites around the screen.

why do we do it?

Comment

Yeah, lets stop! Lets stop it now! Let us be free!
                    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                    Middle East!

Comment

One more turn...
                      He who knows others is wise.
                      He who knows himself is enlightened.
                      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

The Epicness is what I like and strategy games are my favorite.
                        *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

- the multiple strategies that can be adopted
                          - the historical background
                          - the management/building
                          - the decision-making
                          - every map is different/ every game is different
                          - negotiating/trading

RTS games bore me except a blend of TBS and RTS such as RTW or X-Com.
                          If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
                          Ailing Civilization Strategy
                          How to win on Deity Builder style, step-by-step
                          M2TW Guide to Guilds (including Assassins')

Comment

'Just one more turn' has a lot to recomend it, but this isn't so much a feature of the game as it is a result of our attitude towards what makes us want that 'one more turn'.

Which to me is a compilation of every aspect of this game.

I even 'love to hate' the things I don't like about this game, ie pollution and corruption and a conscript cavalry charging unscathed passed an elite guerrilla attack only to then fight and win hand to hand against elite cavalry! (I've heard legends of the spearman winning against a main battle tank and as much as that must suck to have happen TO you I bet it's awesome if it ever works FOR you!)

But the main reason why I love these games is that for me they are unpredictable and therefore 'new' to me every time I start one.

I don't burden myself with perfect city placement or crunch the algorithms or try to play the 'perfect civ game'.

I just play it and get joyfully shocked or maddened by the 'randomness' of it all.

The Civs series is unique to me in that it is one of the few games I play that is constantly challenging me. It reminds me that I am a good strategist and game player one minute while completely crushing me in the very next minute.

Maybe one day I will become an expert at this game and be able to beat it consistently, but realistically, I loathe the time that day comes because it will somehow cheapen the game for me.

off topic..I often wonder what it must be like to be a worldclass grandmaster at chess, it must be very lonely not having much competition or reason to play when the outcome is all but inevitable.
                            ..there are known ‘knowns’ There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. ~~Donald Rumsfeld

Comment

Originally posted by uberloz
                              off topic..I often wonder what it must be like to be a worldclass grandmaster at chess, it must be very lonely not having much competition or reason to play when the outcome is all but inevitable.
                              Thats deep. I like it though!
                              Siga El Conejo Blanco
                              Dios, patria y libertad - Ecuadorian motto
                              | NationStates Roleplayer: The Honor Guard | Check out my Civ4 'friendly game' of MP: A Few Good Leaders |

Comment

Originally posted by Drakan
                                RTS games bore me except a blend of TBS and RTS such as RTW or X-Com.
                                What's RTW ?

And by the way, what does imho mean ?

May the people of Apolyton stop writing acronyms that are unknown from the common Civ player .
                                M. le Comte

Comment

Working...
                                X