Why do you like Civilization ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do you like Civilization ?

It's amazing to see how addictive Civ is to us. Why do we bother to talk about a game that does not exist yet ? Or at least, a game which doesn't exist for us.

To begin I wanted to post a poll, but the question is much too difficult. Poll isn't, in this case, a suitable means of expression.

I like civilization because:
    - I like history and political science (I've got a master degree in political science)
    - I like strategy, negociations, calculation etc...
    - I don't like the stress of RTS. I want something to aerate my brain.
    - I'm megalomaniac.

And you ?
    M. le Comte

pretty much the same reasons
    CSPA

Comment

history- I learned many things reading Call to Power addendum. CivIII didn´t add a trace of history in the game though
      I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

When its late at night or bad weather I sit here & listen to music and or the news. Plus I love the graphics & history anyway.Also its relaxes my brain while I rock on.
        Behind The Bush Productions

Comment

I like building and like strategy. Turn based means ability to stop anytime so I can be with my family and play at the same time.
          Clash of Civilization team member
          (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
          web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

guess it would be - in no particular order

empire building
            blood lusting or peace loving
            negotiations with real players
            city management (yes I said it)
            just one more turn
            anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Like others have said...I like the strategy, but I don't necessarily always want the pressure of a real-time game. Civ allows for a good bit more complexity, which leads to more interesting decisions. It's more than just a clickfest

Comment

Civ seems to be the perfect mix of genres.

I play it as both a builder and a conquerer (a hybrid style). I have a lot of fun building up my empire, and then I have a lot of fun tearing others down.

but I don't like the individual styles. For instance I don't care for games such as Sim City 3000. They just seem boring to me. Even though I love building a grand society. And I don't really care for hardcore wargames either. They are too tedious.

Comment

I can build stuff and watch TV at the same time.
                  Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                  CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                  One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

It combines the joy of extinguishing incredibly irritating states (yes, Zulus and Mongols, I'm looking at YOU) with the obscene pleasure of developing your own cities into crosses between Paris, Venice, Amsterdam and London and amassing vast amounts of wealth with the kind of trading links that would have made the East India Company and the V.O.C. wet their collective pantaloons and froth into their cakes and ales.

Oh, and the kind of research that would have delighted a child of al Biruni and Marie Curie, or Aristotle and Mary the Jewess.
                    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
                      history- I learned many things reading Call to Power addendum. CivIII didn´t add a trace of history in the game though
                      When I was (very) young, the Civ civilopedia was quite interesting. It was Civ 1... Civ2 's civilopedia was ok. Civ3's one s.ucked.
                      M. le Comte

Comment

Re: Why do you like Civilization ?

Originally posted by M. le Comte
                        It's amazing to see how addictive Civ is to us. Why do we bother to talk about a game that does not exist yet ? Or at least, a game which doesn't exist for us.

To begin I wanted to post a poll, but the question is much too difficult. Poll isn't, in this case, a suitable means of expression.

I like civilization because:
                        - I like history and political science (I've got a master degree in political science)
                        - I like strategy, negociations, calculation etc...
                        - I don't like the stress of RTS. I want something to aerate my brain.
                        - I'm megalomaniac.

And you ?
                        Same for me, except that I suck at calculation and strategy
                        I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

I like the strategy and continuity. The problem with the mainstream strategy games is that you always have to re-invent the same stuff over and over and whatever force you gained you loose the next mission. This is why you only need to make tactical decisions (although they call it strategy games )

And off course I very much like to see my empire grow...

I also like the fact that is turn based although if there was a way in which movement is also continuous without losing the ability to govern your empire/cities/trade it would be ok too.

Comment

I like games where you start with almost nothing, but end up with ruling the world (which is why I don't like scenarios)
                            I also like to take my time instead of being stressed like in most RTS games
                            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I also like to take my time instead of being stressed like in most RTS games
                              Main reason.
                              He who knows others is wise.
                              He who knows himself is enlightened.
                              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Working...
                              X