No announcement yet.

Why do you like Civilization ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I realized I suck at RTS after playing command and conquer. I was only able to beat the first mission . I like to build slowly, but the computer doesn't.

as I always say. The turns are in spans of years to 50 years. It only makes sense the game is turn based. If it's not, you are essentually taking a decision that you have 50 years to make, and condensing it into a microsecond.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
      I realized I suck at RTS after playing command and conquer. I was only able to beat the first mission . I like to build slowly, but the computer doesn't.
      Me it was at Age of Empire...
      M. le Comte

Comment

same here!
        I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Got an active thread going here,but this is the only one I've replied to, so there. And this is only PC game I play. Why? Its the strategy & building graphics.Open end possibility to kick ass even when you lose by score. Just one more turn!
          Behind The Bush Productions

Comment

AOE,RON they are over fast , click fests as well...not much fun
            anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

hope civ4 will focus more on those extras that everybody likes
              I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus Rex
                AOE,RON they are over fast , click fests as well...not much fun
                AoE yes, RoN no. RoN is defently of the "slower" types of RTS games, so there's more time to actually think about what you're doing

Of course it kinda depends on what game you're playing. If you play a game with all settings set to fast then it becomes a click fest
                This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Today, after 8 years of playing, civ is simply part of my life, part of my own identity. I don't have to like it - it is and will be.
                  "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                  I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                  Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
                    AoE yes, RoN no. RoN is defently of the "slower" types of RTS games, so there's more time to actually think about what you're doing
                    No, RON is as well a click fest. If you actually thinking in RoN, then you will lose the game. (Single player is an exception, you can pause it).

In RoN, when you start a game, you have to already know you build order (how many farms, what building, technology to get and so on). And then it is just an execution of the plan, with minor variations. But you can not possibly decide during the game what is better to build one more farm or to research a technology that improve the farming. This things you have to know in advance.

So what is left there is a tactical portion, which is still good, but it is no CIV at all despite all similarities.
                    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
                    certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
                    -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Its my primitive desire to build my own bastion and destroy the competitors that keeps me playing. Same reason I love games like Stronghold 2, Caesar 3 and C&C clones..
                      Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

I know it's not Civ, but I was comparing to other RTS games
                        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I like thinking. Civ makes you think. All others rely on your ability, or more like your computers ability, to scroll to problem areas.
                          Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                          1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Immersion and scope.
                            "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

Re: Why do you like Civilization ?

Originally posted by M. le Comte
                              I like civilization because:
                              - I like history and political science (I've got a master degree in political science)
                              - I like strategy, negociations, calculation etc...
                              - I don't like the stress of RTS. I want something to aerate my brain.
                              - I'm megalomaniac.
                              Exactly the same (even the degree in political science part )

Edit: Well, in more details, here's what I like in Civ games:
                              Part 1
                              Part 2
                              Part 3
                              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I have always been a fanatical PC gamer, I grew up playing the original Command & Conquer and came back to every single release after (exception being Generals which I heard made even God cry). I played many different types of PC games, but if you would have asked me what type I played most it would have most certainly been RTS.

But all that is gone now. I stumbled upon Alpha Centauri, an odd so-called "Turn-Based" game which I was not familiar. I loved it because I could BUILD do DIPLOMACY and CONQUER my enemies all in one game. Then I found Civilization 3. It surpassed SMAC and pulled me in kicking and screaming.

Civ3 was one of the ONLY games I brought to college with me. And I know for a fact Civ4 will be one of the only games I buy with college money. I love Civ for its open endedness, for its history, strategy both on and off the battlefield and most of all MAKING ME THINK.
                                Siga El Conejo Blanco
                                Dios, patria y libertad - Ecuadorian motto
                                | NationStates Roleplayer: The Honor Guard | Check out my Civ4 'friendly game' of MP: A Few Good Leaders |

Comment

Working...
                                X