Replace the Hoover Dam with the Three Gorges Dam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace the Hoover Dam with the Three Gorges Dam

I suggest replacing the Hoover Dam with the Three Gorges Dam.

It's a radical change, I know, but a fair one, in my view. It would be nice to have a modern Asian wonder. And it's not as if America is lacking in them.

Re: Replace the Hoover Dam with the Three Gorges Dam

Originally posted by Sandman
    It's a radical change, I know
    Too radical, man. It'll never happen.

Comment

Firstly, this dam isn't even completed is it?

Second, a big and radical change, and on the top of that a rather un-pc move I'd imagine, with the current Chinese politics(human rights and all that) and economic rising making tensions with the US and to a degree the West as a whole.

I doubt it will happen.
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

... Why not?
        RIAA sucks
        The Optimistas
        I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Re-read my post. You're free to disagree of course.
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Well if not the three gorges, change it to the Snowy River Dam system. It's more of an engineering feat than the Hoover.

Dale

Comment

A little imaginative thinking here folks. The first civ that finishes a major dam on the scale of the Hoover Dam gets the bonuses of the wonder. Who cares what it is really called.

Since in real life it was the Hoover Dam, that's what it's called in the game. Simple.
              Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

In fact I think that the dutch Delta Project is more of a world wonder.
                Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

insanity!

Comment

Re: Replace the Hoover Dam with the Three Gorges Dam

Originally posted by Sandman
                    I suggest replacing the Hoover Dam with the Three Gorges Dam.

It's a radical change, I know, but a fair one, in my view. It would be nice to have a modern Asian wonder. And it's not as if America is lacking in them.
                    Wouldn't you have to move it in the tech tree for that?

Comment

Itaipu!!!

The Itaipú hydroelectric power plant is the largest development of its kind in operation in the world. Built from 1975 to 1991, in a binational development on the Paraná River, Itaipú represents the efforts and accomplishments of two neighboring countries, Brazil and Paraguay. The power plant's 18 generating units add up to a total production capacity of 12,600 MW (megawatts) and a reliable output of 75 million MWh a year. Itaipú's energy production has broken several records over the recent years, after the last generating unit was commissioned in 1991. The generation of 77.212.396 MWh a year in 1995 will again be surpassed in 1996, and the new record will be around the 80 million MWh a year mark.

The magnitude of the project can also be demonstrated by the fact that in 1995 Itaipú alone responded for 25% of the energy supply in Brazil and 78% in Paraguay. The power plant is also a major tourism attraction in the Foz do Iguaçú area, having received around 9 million visitors from 162 countries. The Brazilian city of Foz do Iguaçu, also home of the famous Iguaçú Falls, is located at the Western tip of Paraná State, right by the border with Paraguay and Argentina.

Attached Files
                      I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Hoovers looks cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
                          In fact I think that the dutch Delta Project is more of a world wonder.
                          to the Dutch maybe
                          Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

I think what makes the Hoover Dam a wonder is not that it is now the biggest or the best (it's neither), but the fact that it was one of the first (but not the first)really large scale hydroelectric dams. Moreover, it was a huge public works project and transformed an entire region through cheap electricity, reliable water supply, and flood control. At the time it was built, it was unprecedented. That's why it's a wonder. All these other dams may be bigger or better, but they aren't the groundbreakers that Hoover Dam was.
                            The (self-proclaimed) King of Parenthetical Comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Shogun Gunner

to the Dutch maybe

not likely.

The Delta Works is considered one of the 7 modern wonders of the world.

And just for everyone elses information, the Hoover Dam is not listed as one of the 7 modern wonders. While it was a first and it is massive, it wasn't exactly the hardest thing to do, thanks to its chosen location.

Itaipu Dam, Channel Tunnel and the Panama Canal are are also on the list.
                              be free

Comment

Working...
                              X