No announcement yet.

Feature request: Units 'hidding' in forests/jungles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Pirates!, units taking part on a land battle are invisible if they hide in a "forest" square. I wouldn't be surprised if Firaxis incorporates this feature into Civ4.
    I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

it would be nice say if you could "sway" a unit you ran into, say offer them a home and in exchange they join you, say they said "we are 12 strong" and ion return they join "New York" and take it as their city but under your ultimate control?

or ypou run into a unit and as an option give them gold or food in exchange for being a Patriot to your cause..like a conscript

Just a thought

Gramps
      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll
        it would be nice say if you could "sway" a unit you ran into, say offer them a home and in exchange they join you
        IIRC, this was in Civ2 as a function of the spy unit. Your spy could approach a unit and try to get them to defect. You would be told what the gold cost was, then decide whether to offer the bribe or not. Units in democracy were immune to bribery. I liked this feature, particularly as it somewhat offset the advantage non-democratic govs had in waging war.

What ... a post with no parenthetical comments? How very odd.
        The (self-proclaimed) King of Parenthetical Comments.

Comment

Originally posted by patcon

What ... a post with no parenthetical comments? How very odd.
          Give it "Time" to sway the "overworked" minds of the "Poly Posters"

BTW, thanks for the comments
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Alex
            In Pirates!, units taking part on a land battle are invisible if they hide in a "forest" square. I wouldn't be surprised if Firaxis incorporates this feature into Civ4.
            They were given a cover bonus when attacked and were harder to see, but were not strictly invisible.

Comment

I still think its a good idea, any vets here will attest units in Jungle / wooden area are extremely hard to detect

Gramps

Comment

Originally posted by Impaler[WrG]
                I realy like Ninot's idea, tell your Partisan units to conduct an "Ambush" they need to be in an apropriate terrain type such as mountian, jungle or forest to set up an Ambush. Once the Ambush is set they become invisible AND a unit that dose not see them can enter their terrain tile. If the enemy dose end its turn their then on your turn you have the option to "spring" the ambush and they attack with a giant 100% bonus or something equivilently devistating. The Ambush bonus is only good for attacking units that are ontop of them, it dosen't work for adjacent units so its very dependent on the enemy to "walking into the ambush". After the ambush is spring your unit can move its normal movment for that turn but is once again normal and visible. Setting up an ambush requires a full turn (no movment or attacking) so you cant imediatly set up a new Ambush. Also if an enemy unit is able to detect you (likly by using a scout or an airplane) and they attack from outside your tile you get no Ambush Bonus and your ambush is sprung/nulified with no effect.
                That sounds really good. I hope they put that in an expansion! Then I could play the Vietnamese and spring multiple traps on unsuspecting american troops
                I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Zoidberg

That sounds really good. I hope they put that in an expansion! Then I could play the Vietnamese and spring multiple traps on unsuspecting american troops
                  and like in Stronghold be able to make pits with Punjii sticks
                  Attached Files

Comment

Nah, more like hiding a bunch of VC´s in the jungle and then jump the american troops when the blunder into that tile.
                    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

The technie would be highly defensive in nature as it requires the enemy to be advancing into your territory. If they advance rapidly and blindly into your waiting ambushes they could take some major losses from your comparitivly weaker/cheaper units. This will be a great underdog advantage that can be used outside of cities ware traditionaly the attacker/defender have been on equal footing.

On a similar note can we get a bonus for attacks inside of our own territory/cultural borders ect ect. This would represent knowlage of terrain, patriotic defence spirit ect ect. Also it reminds me a bit of the Attrition damage in RON.

Punji Stake pits seem like they might be a nice Terrain improvment, they would just have to be more generic, call it a "Trap" and let all Civs use it. Traps give a Negative Modifier to Enemy troops that are in the Trap tile (and perhaps theirs a higher movment cost so it slows them down as well), friendly units are unaffected. Think of it as the inverse of a Fortress.
                      Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Maybe a option like "invisible in"on the editor, and you could choose any terrain for a unit be invisible in it. It could be also used for subs, and they wouldn't be invisible in coasts and no-deep water squares where they can't dive so deep that would be invisible. And yes for Guerrillas invisible in forests!
                        Maybe enemy (or allied) units should be capable of pass on squares that have units hiding, but you should can choose if attack (reveal your units) or not. Maybe enemy units should pass but suffer one damage (like a small Zone of Control).
                        "We, civilizations, now know that we are mortals...", Paul Valéry

Comment

Working...
                        X