Leaders and Great People

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaders and Great People

Just rereading the various threads about leaders and great people led me to thinking of the times when scientists or artists or innovators have met or worked directly for people considered to be great leaders (especially of their respective civilizations) in real life.

For instance, there is Aristotle as tutor to Alexander of Macedon.

Then there's Moses Maimonides who after travelling from Spain ended up as court physician to the Ayyubid leader Saladin.

Charlemagne invited the renowned Anglo-Saxon scholar Alcuin to his court where he became chief adviser on ecclesiastical and educational matters.

Ibn Khaldun met Timur during the siege of Damascus- and Geoffrey Chaucer was a diplomat and poet in the court of Edward III.
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Galileo Galilei was patronized by the Medici family. Seneca was tutor to the Emperor Nero. Imhotep designed the Step Pyramid for Pharaoh Djoser (as well as other architectural projects). Franz Josef Haydn was Kapellmeister to the Eszterházy family. Oppenheimer worked on nuclear devices for the U.S. government.

A great thinker without a patron is a great thinker with empty pockets.
    Last edited by Alexander I; July 9, 2005, 16:47.
    The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
    "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
    "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
    The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Mmm, hadn't Tycho his own fortune to start with?
      But I guess he was backed later by the government as well.
      He who knows others is wise.
      He who knows himself is enlightened.
      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Er... Cicero died before Nero was even born.

Comment

Originally posted by sophist
          Er... Cicero died before Nero was even born.
          Sorry, I meant Seneca.
          "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
          "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
          The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander01
            Galileo Galilei was patronized by the Medici family. Seneca was tutor to the Emperor Nero. Imhotep designed the Step Pyramid for Pharaoh Djoser (as well as other architectural projects). Franz Josef Haydn was Kapellmeister to the Eszterházy family. Oppenheimer worked on nuclear devices for the U.S. government.

A great thinker without a patron is a great thinker with empty pockets.

My idea was to match great people with likely great leaders- I included Edward III for variety. I don't envisage the Medicis, Djoser, Nero or the Esterhazys making the list of great leaders.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I don't imagine Charlemagne or Timur the Lame making the game either. Not that they weren't great leaders, but what civs would they go to? Both the French and the Germans would want Charlemagne, as he ruled both, so neither will get him.
              Last edited by Alexander I; July 12, 2005, 10:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander01
                I don't imagine Gharlemagne or Timur the Lame making the game either. Not that they weren't great leasers, but what civs would they go to? Both the French and the Germans would want Charlemagne, as he ruled both, so neither will get him.

He's more frequently associated with France.

Comment

But his capital was Aachen ;-). I don't actually care, and I'm sure you know that.

Did Timur's empire last past him?

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

He's more frequently associated with France.
                    Yes, but he spoke Frankish, a dialect of Old German. The core of his empire was "the Frankish homeland" which consisted of the Netherlands, Belgium, Lotharingia, and Baden.

Comment

Working...
                    X