Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: Leader heads Changing

Originally posted by vovan

I think they just are dressed in whatever is the proper clothing for the time the ruler lived in, judging by the screenshots and such... Since there are no hard era lines, then it seems in order for the leaders to change, you still need some sort of events to be triggered maybe by tech advances, or some other things. It doesn't seem to me like that would be the case, judging by the lack of pre-defined eras. I did like the changing leaderheads, though, and maybe they did find some way to incorporate that into the game. Because seeing more modern leaders dressed well in ancient times when people are running around with huge beating sticks would be weird.
    They could have a predetermined year for the shift.

Ex:

4000BC-AD700 - Ancient
    700-1600 - Medieval
    1600-1900 - Industrial
    1900-2050 - Modern

I know it's kind of arbitrary, but it's an idea.
    The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
    "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
    "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
    The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Re: Re: Leader heads Changing

Originally posted by vovan
      I think they just are dressed in whatever is the proper clothing for the time the ruler lived in, judging by the screenshots and such... Since there are no hard era lines, then it seems in order for the leaders to change, you still need some sort of events to be triggered maybe by tech advances, or some other things. It doesn't seem to me like that would be the case, judging by the lack of pre-defined eras. I did like the changing leaderheads, though, and maybe they did find some way to incorporate that into the game. Because seeing more modern leaders dressed well in ancient times when people are running around with huge beating sticks would be weird.
      It would be really easy to put in, even if they don't have it. Just make the leaderheads change with particular techs. I suspect it would only require some event and inteface coding.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Leader heads Changing

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

It would be really easy to put in, even if they don't have it. Just make the leaderheads change with particular techs. I suspect it would only require some event and inteface coding.
        Too bad I suck at coding.

"God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
        "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
        The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Leader heads Changing

Originally posted by Alexander01

Ex:

4000BC-AD700 - Ancient
          700-1600 - Medieval
          1600-1900 - Industrial
          1900-2050 - Modern

I know it's kind of arbitrary, but it's an idea.
          Well, it might work that way, but of course you could always end up in a situation where you have leaders in medieval clothing leading armies on tanks.

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
          Just make the leaderheads change with particular techs. I suspect it would only require some event and inteface coding.
          Right, but then how is that different from the good old era change? Basically this would amount to this: they only eliminated eras for research, but kept them in all but name for more superficial things like city graphic changes and leaderhead changes and such. It would make sense that way of course, but I'm not sure. Maybe it's just wishful thinking that they came up with something new and cool on my part.
          XBox Live: VovanSim
          xbox.com (login required)
          Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
          Spore page

Comment

Also, check out the Caesar screenie on the Firaxis site... We can see Caesar and also that in some of the cities they are producing Knights, which seems to imply we are in the "middle ages", but it seems like the outfit of the leader does not exactly reflect that. Judging by that and by the looks of the leaders in the Gamespot E3 video (consider Hatshepsut in her "ancient" outfit, and Mao in his "modern" suit), I'd say changing leaderheads are either not going to be there at all, or are ATM lacking the art.
            XBox Live: VovanSim
            xbox.com (login required)
            Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
            Spore page

Comment

I vote for the latter.
              He who knows others is wise.
              He who knows himself is enlightened.
              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I've got admit, that was one of the better pieces of frosting Firaxis put on CivIII and, as I've said elsewhere, computer games are all frosting, otherwise we'd just be doing math homework.

Not re-dressing the leaders would be a mistake I don't think they'd make.

C'mon, you can't tell me you don't dig Genghis' modern threads?
                "The human race would have perished long ago if its preservation had depended only on the reasoning of its members." - Rousseau
                "Vorwärts immer, rückwärts nimmer!" - Erich Honecker
                "If one has good arms, one will always have good friends." - Machiavelli

Comment

Civ is about creativity...something different than the oft repeated refrain of history.

Let the leaders wear clothes from each era....a modern Alexander in the business suit
                  Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Civ 2 had city and population graphics that changed by era even though there were no set tech eras a la civ 3.
                    The change in appearance there was brought on by certain key techs (invention, industrialization and electronics+automobiles)
                    No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik
                      Civ 2 had city and population graphics that changed by era even though there were no set tech eras a la civ 3.
                      The change in appearance there was brought on by certain key techs (invention, industrialization and electronics+automobiles)
                      See, that would be fine.

Comment

That contradicts the removal of the "Era"s.
                        http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/france.html

Why is France a Civ.?

Comment

i remember reading somewhere that they were not changing the leader heads over time.

I agree that that was one of the nice additions in Civ3. In Civ1, it was cute to have the leaders be the same but the advisors change in the modern era. In Civ2 the only change was that the spoons would turn into guns. Now in Civ4, there appears to be nothing in the diplomacy screen indicating advance...

I just know that in Civ3 at least, it would always freak me out when civ leaders who contacted me started wearing new clothes, b/c it meant I was behind; it was a nice touch.

But if they were to have changing leader heads now, that would mean more work for the graphics guys, x4 (right?). Maybe at least they could change the backgrounds of the leaderheads over time...

Comment

Also, check out the Caesar screenie on the Firaxis site... We can see Caesar and also that in some of the cities they are producing Knights, which seems to imply we are in the "middle ages", but it seems like the outfit of the leader does not exactly reflect that.
                            Note also the presence of the Vatican looming behind his head.
                            Empire growing,
                            Pleasures flowing,
                            Fortune smiles and so should you.

Comment

Originally posted by History Guy

Note also the presence of the Vatican looming behind his head.
                              Indeed. Is it some sort of tongue-in-cheek statement about an imperialistic catholic church?

An ancient Roman leaderhead should have the Forum or the Colosseum behind him.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
                                Oh, being led by God Himself would not be a bad thing really. Can't get any more eternal than that.
                                Pity he doesn't exist!

*avoids holy nuke*

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                                http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X