Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ IV artwork has some real problems

I saw the screenshots and didn't like them for a few reasons:

The landscapes are very busy - this tiring for the eyes - and a problem for quickly finding units, resources etc.

The colour scheme is unattractive - civ 2 had the most attractive and it was very simple - nice rich primary colours - you could easily find resources, units cities etc.

The sprites are way too big - they need to be more in proportion to the landscape - they just look like giants now, and rather ridiculous - but I like the fact the sprites are groups, something I proposed years ago - though I'd rather see little legions and phalanxes with battle flags than what look right now like wresting teams. Can you give us an option for that?

The cities are way too small - this game is about cities. The graphics for cities should give a sense of their wealth, power and military strength, even at a long view. It would also help if their underlying terrain was evident so defensive strength could be quickly calculated. When you look at a group of cities you should be able to easily see which is powerful and which is not.

The graphic team needs to consider players will spend hours staring at the game maps - simplify the graphics and make the colour scheme more attractive please and the essential gameplay relevant bits easy to find and we'll all be grateful. It helps us manage our civs - id new places for cities, find our units, special resources, work out what needs terraforming etc.

If you want that "one more turn feel", players have to be comfortable looking at their monitor for long periods. After the first game or 2 noone cares what the freakin mountains look like or how many loops there are on the rivers, as long as they easy to identify and look at. You want to build something beautiful by your civ, not the underlying terrain.

Get those damn graphic artists under control - these games aren't about eye candy - they are a distraction and really show no understanding of what gamers need from a map. All game graphics and map features should assist gameplay and ease of reference, allow for a wholist view of the state of play, economic development, military strategy etc.

If they don't, get rid of them, or allow players to remove them in an options menu. We want clean utilitarian maps.

Jeez I hope the world map scrolls this time and there are adequate zooms. I couldn't believe civ 3 wouldn't recentre so you could look at the map from different angles the way civ 1 and 2 did - what a giant leap backwards that was.

On the whole I thought the graphics and sprites were ugly and not very play friendly. Its worrying - another gameplay graphic disaster like civ 3 in the making I fear. Civ 3 also had dreadful non gameplay friendly maps and graphics. You could never tell what the state of play was at a glance.

Go play civ 2 and you'll see what I mean. Probably too late now.
    Last edited by Alexander's Horse; June 18, 2005, 01:09.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

The good thing is that some of the graphics do make it easier to figure out stuff - you can see which resources are being worked through animations, and at close zoom, you can city what your city has built.

I agree, of course, that there should not be too much eye candy, but, unfortunately, to sell a game nowadays, it must have some eye candy, or it simply will not have good sales - Civ4 will sell over a million copies anyway, and of these people, 5% top will be diehard hardcore civvers like many of us here, and even of them, not all have the same opinion about graphics.

Zoom seems to be a strong point in Civ4, though, as you can zoom in close, and also zoom far out to play the game in a fashion more like Civ1, where you could see a lot on the screen at the same time.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Yes, the map seem cluttered now, but remember that we have seen it mostly on static screenshots. Maybe the map can feel more natural and easier on the eye when we see it with all the animations working and when we zoom in or out the map to a comfortable playing level.
      I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Remember what we was told in the NextLevel preview linked to here yesterday: We will be able to customize what is to be shown on the screen, all down to the following:

You can adjust the amount of information that is displayed on the map, including things such as city names and sizes; or go for a minimalist approach and take it down to just units, cities and roads with no names.
        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

good news if true - my son doesn't agree with me
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

Your son doesn't like the game to be customizable? That's a weird view.
            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

just you watch...

Firaxis wil have anticipated all these die-hard civers and will put in a "Civ2 graphics option".

For myself tho, i'm happy to be seeing something new.
              Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Hmm, somehow that seems to me that it will be a bit difficult.

As for the artwork, the only thing I agree with is that the various units look like bully boy giants. I of course do not expect them to be exactly proportional with the map, but neither do I expect them to be gigantic.

I actually like how they are doing the city views from what I have seen
                Visit The Frontier for all your geopolitical, historical, sci-fi, and fantasy forum gaming needs.

Comment

cant wait till some screenie of modern units

A tank bigger than a city,... could be different
                  anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

I must say I agree. Maps look too busy, cities too small, units too big, and the coloring. I hope some things, like unit size and coloring, are customizable.
                    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                    2004 Presidential Candidate
                    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Re: Civ IV artwork has some real problems

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                      I saw the screenshots and didn't like them for a few reasons:

The landscapes are very busy - this tiring for the eyes - and a problem for quickly finding units, resources etc.

The colour scheme is unattractive - civ 2 had the most attractive and it was very simple - nice rich primary colours - you could easily find resources, units cities etc.

The sprites are way too big - they need to be more in proportion to the landscape - they just look like giants now, and rather ridiculous - but I like the fact the sprites are groups, something I proposed years ago - though I'd rather see little legions and phalanxes with battle flags than what look right now like wresting teams. Can you give us an option for that?

The cities are way too small - this game is about cities. The graphics for cities should give a sense of their wealth, power and military strength, even at a long view. It would also help if their underlying terrain was evident so defensive strength could be quickly calculated. When you look at a group of cities you should be able to easily see which is powerful and which is not.

The graphic team needs to consider players will spend hours staring at the game maps - simplify the graphics and make the colour scheme more attractive please and the essential gameplay relevant bits easy to find and we'll all be grateful. It helps us manage our civs - id new places for cities, find our units, special resources, work out what needs terraforming etc.

If you want that "one more turn feel", players have to be comfortable looking at their monitor for long periods. After the first game or 2 noone cares what the freakin mountains look like or how many loops there are on the rivers, as long as they easy to identify and look at. You want to build something beautiful by your civ, not the underlying terrain.

If they don't, get rid of them, or allow players to remove them in an options menu. We want clean utilitarian maps.

Jeez I hope the world map scrolls this time and there are adequate zooms. I couldn't believe civ 3 wouldn't recentre so you could look at the map from different angles the way civ 1 and 2 did - what a giant leap backwards that was.

On the whole I thought the graphics and sprites were ugly and not very play friendly.

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE.

Eventually someone spoke up about how ugly the screenshots look.

Civ3 looked much more beautiful than CTP2 and Civ4 is back to frame number 1.
                      Last edited by ISTANBUL; June 19, 2005, 04:45.
                      for SMciv4

Comment

i think horsie is geting old and needs simple graphics and brighter colors to understand more easily what goes on

seriously though, we have almost half a year ahead of us, graphics are bound to be polished

btw, if you notice the various screens, there is practically unlimited zoom in/out ability
                        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Yeah, the games going to be fine guys... Take a look at the screens from before and during e3 and the ones that came out just recently and theres a huge difference in quality and "busy-ness". It's going to look great... but if whinning about it now is your way of passing the time till it releases by all mean don't let me get in your way.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG

seriously though, we have almost half a year ahead of us, graphics are bound to be polished
                            which is why I bothered posting the above- we need to try and influence it

Comment

Originally posted by Qwi
                              but if whinning about it now is your way of passing the time till it releases by all mean don't let me get in your way.
                              Thanks.
                              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                              2004 Presidential Candidate
                              2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Working...
                              X