Trireme vs Battleship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by trausch

The real question that has come up is that can a wooden boat sneak up on a modern war ship and cause damage. Let's see, didn't a bunch of guys in a wooden boat sneak up and blast a hole in the side of the USS Cole a class of destroyer? Probably one of the most advanced ships in the world?

Great memory trausch

This has not gone to far off topic Kuciwalker
    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

• Boarding a BB from a galley would suffer some speed-related problems ...
      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

• Yes, the BB should be so willing to come close to the galley on it's ow accord.
        He who knows others is wise.
        He who knows himself is enlightened.
        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• Originally posted by Wise Ass
          It can if it was designed for that specifically.
          Engines are very often not designed specifically for one game. That's the entire point of an engine, that you can build many different games on top of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker

IIRC the Greeks and Romans had marines that were used to board other ships..

No they didn't.
            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Originally posted by molly bloom

No they didn't.
              I don't want to second guess you, I have seen you post before about Roman/Greeks so I know you have knowledge... but are you sure about that?

I've seen lots o' movies where the Romans used catapults and ballistae from their galley, and then closed and boarded the other vessel with soldiers.

Maybe the movies are inaccurate. If they are, I'd like to know it. But how else could they win a naval battle? Archers? Fire arrows? I know for a fact that the ramming tactic, glorified in movies, was actually seldom used and was a weapon of last resort.
              Let Them Eat Cake

Comment

• Originally posted by Mace

I don't want to second guess you, I have seen you post before about Roman/Greeks so I know you have knowledge... but are you sure about that?

I've seen lots o' movies where the Romans used catapults and ballistae from their galley, and then closed and boarded the other vessel with soldiers.

Maybe the movies are inaccurate. If they are, I'd like to know it. But how else could they win a naval battle? Archers? Fire arrows? I know for a fact that the ramming tactic, glorified in movies, was actually seldom used and was a weapon of last resort.

There's a difference between infantry and marines, yes ?

And a difference between the navy and the marines ?

As far as I can recall, the Romans used their ships to transport the army, and sailors on Roman ships were also fighters, so that they had a dual role, rather than being specifically 'marines'.

I suspect that when you think of marines you think one thing, and I think another.

This might assist:

" Classification

InfantryInfantry (or Infantrymen) are soldiers who fight primarily on foot, using personal weapons. They may arrive on scene in various ways, and are deployed either in formations or as skirmishers and guerillas. In the modern period, the term "infantryman" is reserved for the most basic of infantry troops, the rifleman....

Not all soldiers are infantry, and not all infantry are soldiers. Infantry that are not soldiers include members of the RAF Regiment of the United Kingdom (technically they are airmen not soldiers), and members of the Royal Marines.

The Corps of Royal Marines, usually just known as the Royal Marines (RM), are the United Kingdom's amphibious forces and a core component of the country's Rapid Reaction Force. They are lightly equipped, able to operate independently in all terrains, and highly trained as a commando force....

...of the United Kingdom, or other marine forces (who are marines not soldiers; in fact many marines bristle at being called soldiers). Finally, many navies maintain naval infantry, who are sailors not soldiers. "

Shop a wide selection of domains at HugeDomains.com. Find the right domain name today.
                Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• erm... b2t pls?

I would definitely like to see more emphasis on marine/marine and marine/land combat... the "teleport-Airport" was a neat feature for rushers like me but it was also definitely imbalanced.

Marine bombardement should become more effective, as well as bombing runs with aircraft. In CivIII the carrier is little more than eyecandy and a nice-to-have thing, would be great if they changed that. Civ could be so much more on the strategic side if they had balanced land/air/marine combat better imho.

Comment

• as far as naval tatics go...
                    would "ramming speed" be out of the question
                    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

• Originally posted by molly bloom
                      There's a difference between infantry and marines, yes ?
                      I think we are thinking the same way, the difference is in the semantics...

Rome did have special legions called "Milites Classiarri" or "soldiers of the fleet". These guys fought on land as well,.
                      Let Them Eat Cake

Comment

Working...
                      X