Gamereactor video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gamereactor video

This video is(as I understand it) taken from the E3 presentation of Civ4(some parts of it, those fools came some minutes too late...). I haven't seen this one before, and since it's in English(except the intro title, but all speach is English) I decided you should get the honour to see it. I am in the middle of it right now, the game they show seems to be the same as Soren showed in the GameSpot interview. But it's new all right I think.

One new(I think) info so far is: All leaders have two traits. Gandhi's is organized and creative.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Short game(like in short - normal - epic) equals Civ3's accelerated production.

In addition to walls in a city, you can build castles to further add to the defence of it.

Having a city near a river adds to the heath of that city.

Sid "trust us[the programmers obviously] to do as good and make a great game" and comes down from time to time to play multiplayer and gives feedback. He helps managing.

When you want to move a unit, you can point to the site you want it to go and get info on how long it will take to go there.

You can group units together, "much like stacking"( ), f.ex. a settler and some defence.
    (The guy also said something about grouping 20 units together, but I didn't get if that's the limit or not)

With the modding tools, you can "totally reorganize the interface".

I saw two leaders at the end of the game, Julius Caesar(don't think we've seen him before) and Hapsetut.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

New stuff, in adition to the above:
      - A Holy Shrine generates gold, spreads religion faster
      - Amphibious promotion gives a bonus (Jesse(?) said penalty but that seems unlikely) attacking across rivers
      - units: Mechanized Infantry, Modern Armor, Stealth
      - MP supports at least 4vs4vs4, so 12 players
      - There is still a city screen, I think one or two people here were worried it was gone (though it's not even close to being complete, which probably explains why we've seen so little of it (and the UI in general for that matter))
      - Defensive terrain bonuses have been simplified. You only get them on Forest, Jungle and Hills.
      - The longer units are fortified, the bigger the defensive bonus they get: being fortified for 5 turns gives a 25% bonus (the max)
      - Windmills can only be built on Hills. Farms can't be.
      - The entire game's interface is written in Python
      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

(The guy also said something about grouping 20 units together, but I didn't get if that's the limit or not)
        There isn't, we already know that from other sources.

don't think we've seen him before
        We did, on the Firaxis website.

Comment

A lot of info in that video. Thanks for the link Nikolai!

Comment

He says 'Stealth Bombers and such', I think.
            He who knows others is wise.
            He who knows himself is enlightened.
            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

- Defensive terrain bonuses have been simplified. You only get them on Forest, Jungle and Hills.

Not on mountains?

- The entire game's interface is written in Python

Comment

Very cool and informative video!

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Stuff I saw from studying the video footage:

Shrines are actually World Wonders, so these are probably the religious wonders we heard about. Also, the amount of Gold they generate appears to depend on the number of cities converted.

Second time around I caught Jesse saying Asoka is an Indian leader.

Terrain:
                  What I called Hunting Camp is actually called Camp
                  Grassland Hills give 2 Hammer, 1 Food
                  Gold Resource gives +7 Gold

Units:
                  Axeman: Melee unit, costs 35, 8? Strength
                  Spearman: costs 35
                  Catapult: Siege Weapon, 3? Strength
                  Swordsman: 6? Strength

Buildings/Wonders:
                  Barracks
                  Lighthouse confirmed
                  Religion-specific Monestaries confirmed
                  Chichen Itza confirmed
                  Angkor Wat confirmed
                  What I called Samarra Mosque is actually called The Spiral Minaret

Civil services allows Chichen Itza, enables Bureaucracy

Organized Religion is a religious Civic (and Dummy a legal one )

Memphis is an Egyptian city

There's a lot more text, but most of it I can't read. Maybe someone else has better eyes (or software)...

Comment

Dummy?

Comment

Obviously a placeholder of sorts...

Edit: upon closer inspection it may actually say something else. But it seemed to read Dummy at first glance and since I thought that was funny yet understandable I didn't bother to look into it any closer...
                      Last edited by Locutus; June 5, 2005, 15:00.

Comment

I saw a "Jewish Temple" city improvement.

Comment

I really like the options he mentioned for cooperative multiplayer. This is almost as close to a team of players running a single country as Civ can get.
                          Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Actually no. The closest possible is a demogame.

with all the changes we can make to the game, it might be possible to put in demogame multiplayer

Comment

You just had to, right?

I meant precisely what I said.

With diversified production and cashflow players could work in the game as different ministers. One producing units, another doing research, others controlling trading — the more specialized cities you can have in general, the closer this gets to running many countries in the fashion you would run one.

And, of course, simulating a feudal or republican government comes very natural with this sharing model. Simply precious.
                              Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Working...
                              X