• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy the Scot
    good man

* Paddy the Scot sends word to Sid

"Sid, ring Vince NOW!!!"
    Thanks.

(no call yet, unless I've mistaken him for a telemarketer and accidently got blacklisted )
    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
    2004 Presidential Candidate
    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

as anyone checked this out

its about putting these ideas into wiki form
      anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare

Yes, indeed Constantinople wasn't renamed Istanbul by the Turks when they conquered it, but only after the fall of the Ottoman empire, when Attaturk decided to rip it from its capital status and move the capital to Ankara.

This just not true! Istanbul was known as, well, Istanbul, for centuries. My place (former ottoman province of Macedonia) it was called Stambol, short from Istanbul, since like forever. It was also called Carigrad (Cars (tzars) city). When I capture it in Civ, I always rename it Carigrad
        I assure you Mr. Ambassador, we're not building a Doom's Day Machine
        Our source was the New York Times

Comment

oh, I see this bit of trivia was already covered
          I assure you Mr. Ambassador, we're not building a Doom's Day Machine
          Our source was the New York Times

Comment

Originally posted by Cvetin

This just not true! Istanbul was known as, well, Istanbul, for centuries. My place (former ottoman province of Macedonia) it was called Stambol, short from Istanbul, since like forever. It was also called Carigrad (Cars (tzars) city). When I capture it in Civ, I always rename it Carigrad
            Sinice Istanbul is simply Turkish for Constantinople, I would imagine that the Turks first started calling it that when they first encountered the city.
            The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
            "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
            "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
            The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

just listen to "They might be Giants" song Istanbul

Comment

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

Originally posted by DerSchwarzfalke

As for name changing, I like the idea of being given the option to do so after the successful assimilation of a city.
                  Do you remember Spaniards successfully assimilating Indians before changing names?

Yaroslav

Comment

Originally posted by Yarco_TW
                    Do you remember Spaniards successfully assimilating Indians before changing names?

Yaroslav
                    We Americans would never do that.

Comment

as anyone use a number as a city name?

I have, just because

really works well in pbem games

Comment

Working...
                      X