Destruction of Cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Destruction of Cities

Instead of capturing cities... I destroy them in order to maintain the ethnicity of my Civ. empire. I hope that option remains.

Yes, I'm a bastard that way.
    http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/france.html

Why is France a Civ.?

I think it would be cool if Civs renamed captured cities with the name of the old city in the new conqueror's language.

Examples:

Constantinople (Byzantine) --> Istanbul (Turkish)
    Strassburg (German) --> Strasbourg (French)
    Dallas (American) --> Hicktown (Canadian)
    Last edited by Alexander I; June 3, 2005, 13:38.
    The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
    "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
    "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
    The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

City name changing
      Ah, yes indeed. Often did I find it offensive for one Civ. to retain the name of a conquered city.

I actually took a city over just to change a name; and then give it back.

Why is France a Civ.?

Comment

Re: Destruction of Cities

Originally posted by KyuuA4
        Instead of capturing cities... I destroy them in order to maintain the ethnicity of my Civ. empire. I hope that option remains.

Yes, I'm a bastard that way.
        Wonderful. Ethnic cleansing in Civ. What next? Starving cities to keep unrest down like Stalin? (oh wait, I already do that )
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
        2004 Presidential Candidate
        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Wonderful. Ethnic cleansing in Civ. What next? Starving cities to keep unrest down like Stalin? (oh wait, I already do that )
          Reduce a Civ down to just one city and maintain status of war only to continuously bomb that remaining city. Target practice.

Why is France a Civ.?

Comment

This is probably something we shouldn't try to out do each other on.
            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
            2004 Presidential Candidate
            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander01
              I think it would be cool if Civs renamed captured cities with the name of the old city in the new conqueror's language.

Examples:

Stassburg (German) --> Strasbourg (French)
              I agree to this

Though the last time I proposed this idea most other posters said it was a bad idea blah blah blah
              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Actually it is a cool idea to name change.

Perhaps, it could signal when a ciry is successfully assimilated

From game:

"Sir, St. Petersburg is now fully assimilated by our Bolshevik forces! It shall be known from now on as Leningrad!"

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio

I agree to this

Though the last time I proposed this idea most other posters said it was a bad idea blah blah blah
                  The problem is that in the city lists we have cities that appear more than once under different civilisations - what about York/Eburacum/Jorvik or London/Londinium or Paris/Lutetia for example...that would really complicate this feature I'm afraid
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison

The problem is that in the city lists we have cities that appear more than once under different civilisations - what about York/Eburacum/Jorvik or London/Londinium or Paris/Lutetia for example...that would really complicate this feature I'm afraid
                    Well, they could always eliminate the redudnancies among civs... though that way the Romans would have no Londinium. The Byzantines would have Constantinople, but the Greeks, Romans, and Turks couldn't, unless they conquered it...

Hmm... maybe just in a scenario...
                    "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
                    "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
                    The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

why should they stick to their version of the original name? I think it would be easier to implement and generaly more interesting if the cities changed their names in regard to their leader.

Example:

Volgograd -> Stalingrad
                      Saigon -> Ho Chi Minh City

etc.

"Sir, we just captured York. For your glory, we shall rename it Lincolnbourg :P "

Tomasz

Comment

Or Alexandria.

Trouble is, you can only have so many cities named after you.
                        It'd get old REAL fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander01

Examples:

Stassburg (German) --> Strasbourg (French)
                          The problem being that most cities would not have any equivalent for most countries.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

The problem being that most cities would not have any equivalent for most countries.
                            Only the ancient civilizations. Babylon wouldn't know what to call Washington or Paris, that's for sure.

Comment

why should they stick to their version of the original name? I think it would be easier to implement and generaly more interesting if the cities changed their names in regard to their leader.
                              Yes, indeed Constantinople wasn't renamed Istanbul by the Turks when they conquered it, but only after the fall of the Ottoman empire, when Attaturk decided to rip it from its capital status and move the capital to Ankara.
                              Clash of Civilization team member
                              (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                              web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Working...
                              X