Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by binTravkin

That's really a low-end.

My home PC is an old 1.2G Celeron with 256 RAM, so I hope the reqs will be no higher than that..

And about laptops - as a general rule thay tend to be slower than desktop computers, so you should distract some 20-30% from it's speed to get the actual resources you have.
    I might not be able to play Civ at all with my decrepit old geezer of a comp. 500 Mhz PIII with a Nvidia GeForce 4 MX 4000...
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

The video card would handle it, but 500 MHz is too low to run a 3D engine in any sort of a comfort.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

My GeForce 2 Ultra may even be good enough. I hope.
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
        2004 Presidential Candidate
        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

So is there any update beyond the generic "November?"
          I'm anxious to stick some spears in barbarian gullets!
          The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
          "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
          "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
          The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Hasn't anybody here played the new Pirates! game? If that was playabale on your machine, Civ4 will be too - it uses the same 3D engine... I don't think the few additional features they integrated into the engine for Civ will make much difference.
            "Give me a soft, green mushroom and I'll rule the world!" - TheArgh
            "No battle plan ever survives contact with the enemy." - Murphy's law
            Anthéa, 5800 pixel wide extravaganza (french)

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
              Low end is of course a matter of view, but I have a 3 year old(If not older) computer running on a P4 2GHz, 512 MB RAM. And as 3 year is the "standard" life span of a computer(well, that certainly has changed, I can play all my games on this computer with no problems...), that should at most be regarded as a medium end computer I guess.
              That was a high-end computer 3 years ago! But then, so was mine (1.8 ghz, 512 RDRAM, GeForce w/64mb).

Back in the 90's, if you had a 3 year old computer, it was a GEEZER! But today, a 3 year old comp isn't too bad.
              Things have slowed down in raw power of pc's, compared to what it was.
              Let Them Eat Cake

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                No engine is more challenging right now than the Doom3 engine.
                What about FS? Have you ever run a program called Flight Simulator 2004? I have not run Doom3 but I bet MSFS2004 will give it a run for it's money in terms of hardware requirements....
                Let Them Eat Cake

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                  The video card would handle it, but 500 MHz is too low to run a 3D engine in any sort of a comfort.
                  That´s what I thought. But I was planning to buy a new comp anyway. And now I have a reason
                  I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by lebensraum
                    oh, and then there's easter, labour day, anzac day, queen's birthday, proclamation day, melbourne cup day, eight hours day, blood oath day, proclamation day, bank holiday and additional days just in case any of the above falls on a sunday.
                    (OT) You get additional days off if holidays happen to fall on sunday? You lucky bastards... we in Europe don't have that...

Comment

Well, holidays falling on a sunday are automatically 'moved' to the day after, except in some cases when one falls on a thursday and a second holiday in the month falling on a sunday is then moved to that friday.

Oh, and I live in Europe.
                      He who knows others is wise.
                      He who knows himself is enlightened.
                      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Atkinson
                        So... I have until November to upgrade my PC.

Actually, anyone know what the specs are yet?(There may still be hope for my old machine.)
                        Just ask for a new PC for christmas
                        -->Visit CGN!
                        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
                          Low end is of course a matter of view, but I have a 3 year old(If not older) computer running on a P4 2GHz, 512 MB RAM. And as 3 year is the "standard" life span of a computer(well, that certainly has changed, I can play all my games on this computer with no problems...), that should at most be regarded as a medium end computer I guess.
                          Scary... we almost have identical machines- except mine is an AMD.
                          -->Visit CGN!
                          -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Would a RADEON IGP 340M suffice?
                            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Working...
                            X