'Official' releasedate: November

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, it certainly won't run on mine...

I'm a bit surprised they want to actually release the game this year. Maybe it really is almost finished but this release date seems way too fast for me.
    Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

I saw Gamespot had Nov. 1 as the date when I read the preview a day or two ago....

but, i took it with a grain of salt.
      While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Originally posted by CapTVK
        I'm a bit surprised they want to actually release the game this year. Maybe it really is almost finished but this release date seems way too fast for me.
        It's been under development for two years. That will be two and a half when it hits the stores. That's actually considered a pretty long time for most games...
        Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

My system is an Athlon 1.6 GHz with 512 MB RAM and a Geforce FX 5200.

If Civ4 wouldn't be perfectly smooth on that, I'd be disappointed, because previous Civ games always ran very well on low-end PCs, and that's not a low-end PC. Seems already that due to the 3D engine Civ4 will require a real video card instead of an integrated one.
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

2 years is quite alot of time. I bet they have some good stuff going.
            While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver

If Civ4 wouldn't be perfectly smooth on that, I'd be disappointed, because previous Civ games always ran very well on low-end PCs, and that's not a low-end PC. Seems already that due to the 3D engine Civ4 will require a real video card instead of an integrated one.
              You should have a 'real' video card anyway, as integrated graphics can't be updated and just generally suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver

I'd say those specs are pretty low-end,especilly with a release date six months from now.
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

The holiday season, in America anyway, is Halloween > Thanksgiving > Christmas > New Years, or Oct 30 to January 1. The peak is between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
                  "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                  "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                  2004 Presidential Candidate
                  2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Trifna
                    The game is based on Pirates' engine. The specs of Pirates are (minimum) 1GHz Pentium/Athlon processor, 256 RAM memory, 32 RAM video card.
                    I imagine the requirements for cIV will be somewhat higher, simply because there is the potential for much more units to be on screen at the same time, but I imagine it should do well on the 1.6GHz PC above.
                    XBox Live: VovanSim
                    xbox.com (login required)
                    Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                    Spore page

Comment

What I imagine as low-end is more like a 1GHz PC with 256 MB RAM. I'm not worried either way because I have a DX9 graphics card with 256 MB VRAM, but I always want games to have low requirements .

Comment

hummm
                        i have two comps, one is 2 yr old desktop athlon 1600, 256, 32 mb nvidia. the other is one yr old compaq presario with 2,8 athlon xp-m, 512 mb (out of which 64 megs go to integrated video card).
                        seems, all of a sudden, that i will be screwed on both comps. i could not find any link to check those quoted specs, but those estimations look pretty steep

Comment

I think your laptop will very likely run the game just fine.

My only computer is a 1.7GHz laptop with 512MB RAM and an integrated GeForce 440 Go video card. It ran Pirates just fine. One of the few games these days I didn't notice any lag in.
                          XBox Live: VovanSim
                          xbox.com (login required)
                          Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                          Spore page

Comment

You should definitely not be screwed on your laptop, though you may want to turn off some of the graphical effects.

Comment

desktop will be scrapped by the end of the year anyway

Comment

What I imagine as low-end is more like a 1GHz PC with 256 MB RAM.
                                That's really a low-end.

My home PC is an old 1.2G Celeron with 256 RAM, so I hope the reqs will be no higher than that..

And about laptops - as a general rule thay tend to be slower than desktop computers, so you should distract some 20-30% from it's speed to get the actual resources you have.
                                -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                                -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Working...
                                X