No announcement yet.

So what do we know about Civ IV so far?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing about appealing to new fans....keep in mind that 4 is going to be more modifilable than 3. Modding 2 was totally sweet. Being about to do that to 4 is more inline with 2 than 3 and can make up for making it mainstream in other ways.
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Any updates?
      Rome rules

Comment

Not that I'm aware of.
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
        2004 Presidential Candidate
        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Further, we are integrating Python into the code-base so that the more algorithmic parts of the game (map generation, combat, triggers/events, AI, etc.) can be scripted by the modding community.
          This is the most awesome thing I've heard so far. I'd love to have a hand in this stuff. I've always wanted the ability to tweak the AI, both for opponents and my automated units.

The map generation access would allow people to make realistic world maps and terrain choices by modeling plate tectonics.

Very cool.

Comment

MP and modding capability right off the bat is going to be good thing
            *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Oh how I wish I had taken a screen shot of my Civ3 limited edition preorder. The same order which promised MP from the begining. I choose to believe nothing Firaxis says about features being included.

Comment

HTower, I cant get you to play CIV3, are you going to check out CIV4?
                *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Originally posted by conmcb25
                  HTower, I cant get you to play CIV3, are you going to check out CIV4?
                  Has it been so long since you've appreciated the company of a female that you can't understand why there are more important things than video games?

Comment

Forget ye thine own past?

You appear to be ignoring the announcement of 4 hour MP games. Do you think that they would speak a deliberate lie such as that?

Comment

[SIZE=1]
                      We know there will be a 3d, tile-based map.
                      That's good I guess

We know that "Civics" and "Religion" are being added, but don't know what that means.
                      What's civics?

We know that "unfun" elements (according to Soren) such as pollution and corruption are being either removed or signifigantly changed.
                      We know that there will be more emphasis on getting new fans than on pleasing the most hard core ones.

We know that an effort to make as much of the game modifiable by fans as possible is being made.

As long as "simplify for the masses" doesn't equate to "dumb down for the hordes"

"I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                      I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                      Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson
                        You can't really honestly say that corruption and pollution can't be improved. They were both an annoying way to limit Expansion.
                        "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

A game should be annoying to be interesting
                          Middle East!

Comment

No, there are better ways. And there are many interesting games that weren't really annoying.

Comment

Like what?
                              Middle East!

Comment

X-COM, Doom 3, Jagged Alliance II. There were some aggrivating things, but nothing incredibly annoying.

Comment

Working...
                                X